Sully Hammers Guy

BillsNYC

"It’s also an indictment of John Guy, the pro personnel director. Guy was brought here by Tom Donahoe in 2001 to identify top free agents. Guy is supposed to be the expert on NFL players, but he has rarely hit the jackpot. Aside from Takeo Spikes, I can’t think of a single free agent who has been a difference-maker."

"What about Chris Kelsay? Levy’s first big move as GM was giving Kelsay a four-year, $24 million deal. It was a panic signing. Kelsay has been the Dockery of the defensive line, a mediocrity being paid as a star."

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/591816.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"What about Chris Kelsay? Levy’s first big move as GM was giving Kelsay a four-year, $24 million deal. It was a panic signing. Kelsay has been the Dockery of the defensive line, a mediocrity being paid as a star."

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/591816.html

It was a bad signing, but the money is irrelevant now. He's on a 2 year contract for how much now? Are you signing anyone better for that money?

Probably not, but that doesn't fit the article so turn a blind eye to it!

The only saving grace for Guy is if he was merely supplying information for whomever decided on free agents for these past two years. My bet is DJ had final say and made the call on whom to pursue.

With 13 out of 14 FA signings in the 06-07 time frame gone, I'd say whoever is making the call needs to go. Yet the front office remains the same, although Perhaps DJ's condition for staying was to merely give up personnel authority.

Either way, a shake-up was in order and as The Who say, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

It was a bad signing, but the money is irrelevant now. He's on a 2 year contract for how much now? Are you signing anyone better for that money?

Probably not, but that doesn't fit the article so turn a blind eye to it!

You could bring Hargrove back for a fraction of the cost and he'd be an immediate improvement over Kelsay. :D

Old, drunk & bitter is no way to go through life, Sully.

How is that article not dead nuts right? Guy's track record of bringing in FAs has been horrible & Modrak's draft history with the bills is less then stellar. Alot of people here do not like Sully because he tells it like it is. Over the last couple years he has kinda grown on me. His opinions especially with the bills are usually more right then wrong. If anybody is a moron at the news it is Bucky Gleason.

It's a very good article and it is spot on......However....Sully....let's go...how about a Siena-Niagara article today......git er done!

Big game tonight, are you going? Siena could pretty much lock down an at large bid with a sweep this weekend. Niagara could send a message to Siena tonight that it is not going to be a picnic playing then in the MAAC tourney next weekend.

The point of the slam at Sully is that he's getting a lot more personal and bitter in his columns lately. Don't know about the rest of you, but I thought his crack that Sabres should have made a run at Lundqvist as retaliation for Miller was uncalled for, because it's tantamount to blessing injuring an opposing player in return.

The article on the Bills' FO has a pathologically bitter snarky undertone to it, that is more at home on these pages than in a newspaper. So, sorry that you can't see the irony of a newspaper columnist descending to the base level of the blogosphere, precisely at a time where the life of his employer is being determined.

Makes it kind of hard to defend the position that you get higher quality of writing from a "professional."

The point of the slam at Sully is that he's getting a lot more personal and bitter in his columns lately. Don't know about the rest of you, but I thought his crack that Sabres should have made a run at Lundqvist as retaliation for Miller was uncalled for, because it's tantamount to blessing injuring an opposing player in return.

The article on the Bills' FO has a pathologically bitter snarky undertone to it, that is more at home on these pages than in a newspaper. So, sorry that you can't see the irony of a newspaper columnist descending to the base level of the blogosphere, precisely at a time where the life of his employer is being determined.

Makes it kind of hard to defend the position that you get higher quality of writing from a "professional."

It is a commentary article. I am no journalism expert but isn't the article supposed to be kinda opinionated & personal. Grow a little thicker skin. The bills have not done sh*t this whole decade, & alot of the same clowns that started running the ship in the beginning of this decade are still here. What else is he supposed to say?

It is a commentary article. I am no journalism expert but isn't the article supposed to be kinda opinionated & personal. Grow a little thicker skin. The bills have not done sh*t this whole decade, & alot of the same clowns that started running the ship in the beginning of this decade are still here. What else is he supposed to say?

Nice! Sully is so sick of all the incomptence he see all the time.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bitter is the only way to describe him.

:doh: The concept of a columnist seems to get lost here on a regular basis.

Nice! Sully is so sick of all the incomptence he see all the time.

Not only are they still here, most of them got promoted. I wish I worked for a boss Like Ralph Wilson. I would have a field day being incompetent.

I see GG's point though.

I've often felt Sullivan had a poor temperament as a sportswriter. He too often overreacts in both directions: He leads the coronations and he leads the lynch mobs.

A good solid sportswriter should be the voice of reason, a touchstone for his readers who overreact and who need a compass for direction and someone to provide perspective. Sully is not very good at this.

I also think he's a bit of a sh*t disturber too although I don't know if it's due to some unhappiness or bitterness.

It's possible that it's simply a function of the world we live in and that he feels he has to be provocative to help sell newspapers.

Great post.

Rock on, Sully! :doh: