Bills host Drayton Florence and LB Jamie Winborn

Phlegm Alley

"Linebacker Jamie Winborn (5’11” 230) is an eight-year NFL veteran that is coming off a career season in 2008. Making 14 starts for the Denver Broncos last season after replacing Boss Bailey at strong side linebacker, Winborn led the team in tackles (117) and pass breakups (11). He also had a half sack."

I'm excited about Winborn.

About Florence:

"San Diego’s former second-round pick (2003) had two of his best seasons in 2006 and 2007 recording over 120 tackles, 23 pass breakups and five interceptions.

Florence also had a pair of interceptions in the 2007 postseason with one sealing a Wild Card victory over Tennessee for the Chargers and the other coming against New England’s Tom Brady in the AFC Championship game."

"Linebacker Jamie Winborn (5’11” 230) is an eight-year NFL veteran that is coming off a career season in 2008. Making 14 starts for the Denver Broncos last season after replacing Boss Bailey at strong side linebacker, Winborn led the team in tackles (117) and pass breakups (11). He also had a half sack."

About Florence:

"San Diego’s former second-round pick (2003) had two of his best seasons in 2006 and 2007 recording over 120 tackles, 23 pass breakups and five interceptions.

Florence also had a pair of interceptions in the 2007 postseason with one sealing a Wild Card victory over Tennessee for the Chargers and the other coming against New England’s Tom Brady in the AFC Championship game."

Winborn had a killer year, for Denver, last year. Florence didn't see the field much, last year, so it's hard to get a handle on where he is, right now.

I agree with the philosophy of quantity and quality. Our biggest problem (bigger than coaches and starters), is the lack of depth. We as a team cannot deal with injuries. We just have terrible depth. We need players like this on the team.

Another linebacker to note is Anthony Waters of the Chargers who was cut today. He was their 2007 3rd round pick that spent that year in the McGahee IR-and-develop-NFL-style and then was a depth/ST'er for this year. In our system he could be the blitzing SLB we can rotate in.

Winborn would be an upgrade over Ellison but far from ideal. They could be bringing in these guys because they share the same agent as a guy who wasn't officially a free agent until midnight that the Bills had actual interest in. The bills feign interest in the one client and wink-nod the agent as in "We are really looking for new interior line depth, maybe you should consider staying in town and oh yeah, leave your phone on".

Its just a thought.

As far as florence goes one has to consider that when he was in San Diego, their pass defense mostly stunk. Then he goes to Jacksonville, where their pass defense falls flat on its face. Unless we have a Will James-esque plan for him, I am opposed to adding him to the roster. He may be an acceptable depth corner but the Jaguars grossly overpaid for him.

"Linebacker Jamie Winborn (5’11” 230) is an eight-year NFL veteran that is coming off a career season in 2008.

So am I, let's go after this guy, (He led Denver in tackles and had a lot of pass break-ups) seems like a good fit.

Sounds like these guys are average to below average & are probably just happy to collect a paycheck every week playing football at this stage of their careers.

They will fit in perfectly with Dickhead Jauron & the Buffalo Bills. :doh: