Bills Silver Anniversary Team

does anyone remember the game in the awesome 1984 season where they introduced the Silver Anniversary team on the field? Was it against the Philadelphia Eagles?

:lol:

I am sure I was at the game (still have my ticket stub and the Silver Anniversary poster hangs on my kitchen wall), but I can't remember. I think it was the Jets game...but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

How many of these 25th Anniversary team guys make the 50th Anniversary team? Joe DeLamielleure is the most notable omission...I assume he was left off because he left the team, kind of po'd (Joe D po'd?), and played for the Browns. Ironically, he returned to the Bills in 1984.

Buffalo Bills 25th Silver Anniversary Team:

QB: Jack Kemp

RB: OJ Simpson, Cookie Gilchrist

WR: Elbert Dubenion, Bob Chandler,

TE: Ernie Warlick

Offensive Tackles : Joe Devlin, Stew Baber

Offensive Guards: Billy Shaw, Reggie McKenzie

Center: Al Bemiller

Defensive Ends: : Ben Williams, Ron McDole

Defensive Tackles: Fred Smerlas, Tom Sestak,

LB's: John Tracey, Jim Haslett, Mike Stratton

Corners: Robert James, Butch Byrd

Safeties: George Saimes, Steve Freeman

Punter: Paul Maguire

Place Kicker: Pete Gogolak

How many of these 25th Anniversary team guys make the 50th Anniversary team? Joe DeLamielleure is the most notable omission...I assume he was left off because he left the team, kind of po'd (Joe D po'd?), and played for the Browns. Ironically, he returned to the Bills in 1984.

Shaw is a lock. Sestak and Dubenion are a strong possibility. Also, McKenzie. I am not sure how Simpson will fair with the voters.

They made an awesome poster of the S.A.T. (Topps, IIRC). It hung on my bedroom wall for many years.

wish I still had it.. :lol:

I still have mine. I might get rid of it. If so, you will have first shot at it.

They made an awesome poster of the S.A.T. (Topps, IIRC). It hung on my bedroom wall for many years.

wish I still had it.. :lol:

The Kelly's Heros one with Kelly, Bruce and all of them on the tank in military outfits was the best...hahaha.

Shaw is a lock. Sestak and Dubenion are a strong possibility. Also, McKenzie. I am not sure how Simpson will fair with the voters.

McKenzie? If Shaw is at one guard spot, DeLamielleure gets the other one.

wish I still had it.. :D

I was just thinking that myself. Dad had two sets of season tickets at that time, as a consolation prize for my parents divorcing, dad took me to most of the games during the 80s. I remember being at that game and getting two or three copies of the poster... I know I don't have it anymore. I wish I did.

I pray that Smerlas isn't on the 50th Anniversary team. :lol:

The Kelly's Heros one with Kelly, Bruce and all of them on the tank in military outfits was the best...hahaha.

Unfortunately THIS is the one poster I still have from my early years as a Bills fan... :lol:

Stew Barber was AFL all pro from 63 through 67

Thanks. I really wasn't sure. He is not one of the guys you here about, a lot, from that era. I wasn't sure if he was on the list because he was the Bills GM at the time, or because he really was that good... I don't think he was a great GM, but I do have a few of his football cards!

I've got one of those 25th Anniversary posters on the wall above my bar :thumbsup:

agreed on Shaw...I'll take Joe D over Reggie and Thurman over OJ (more versatile, IMO)

As far as the possibilities...the only DT in Bills history who'd have an edge over Sestak is Mt Washington...Smerlas would be the 3rd DT...Sestak belongs in Canton. Golden Wheels...going by stats relatively unimpressive going against today's WRs...but that's because the game has changed so much favoring the passing game. On a level playing field, I think Golden Wheels ranks up there pretty high

According to some of the oldtimers (Larry Felser, my dad!) Cookie Gilchrist was maybe the best offensive player the Bills ever had. I am not sure if that is true, but I would think, given his legacy, he would have to be close to Thurman... to me, OJ has to be on the 50th Anniversary team, or it is a joke.

I am sure I was at the game (still have my ticket stub and the Silver Anniversary poster hangs on my kitchen wall), but I can't remember. I think it was the Jets game...but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Shaw, Smerlas, and Haslett are the locks from this group. Especially Smerlas--absolutely no one has emerged at that position to take his spot. I like to make fun of the guy (as if my screenname didn't give that away), but we haven't had a better DT since he left. Sestak will probably stick around, too, unless they want 4 LBs (not a bad idea).

Shaw, Smerlas, and Haslett are the locks from this group. Especially Smerlas--absolutely no one has emerged at that position to take his spot. I like to make fun of the guy (as if my screenname didn't give that away), but we haven't had a better DT since he left. Sestak will probably stick around, too, unless they want 4 LBs (not a bad idea).

Smerlas was a great nose tackle. I realize it was a different scheme than Fred played in, but I would take Ted Washington over Smerlas. When Washington and Pat Williams played together, the Bills had the best run defense I have ever seen in Buffalo.

Love your screen name, btw... I remember there used to be a drinking game at Rich, betting when Smerlas would get called for offsides on any given Sunday, and how many times... also, as much as I love that era of Bills football, I am not sure that Haslett is a "lock" to make the 50th anniversary team. Buffalo has had some pretty good linebackers over the years...