Bills Silver Anniversary Team

I am too young to remember Strew Barber as a football, only as a crummy GM... was he really that good of a tackle in his playing days?

As bdelma mentioned, yes, he was that good and belongs on the list.

According to some of the oldtimers (Larry Felser, my dad!) Cookie Gilchrist was maybe the best offensive player the Bills ever had. I am not sure if that is true, but I would think, given his legacy, he would have to be close to Thurman... to me, OJ has to be on the 50th Anniversary team, or it is a joke.

There is no question that Cookie was a phenomenal player. The problem was the length of time that he played for Buffalo. If he had a decent career (in terms of length) in Buffalo, there would be no question that he would make the 50th Anniversary team. Since he was only here for a short time, I would have to put him third behind OJ and TT.

I remember there used to be a drinking game at Rich, betting when Smerlas would get called for offsides on any given Sunday, and how many times... also, as much as I love that era of Bills football, I am not sure that Haslett is a "lock" to make the 50th anniversary team. Buffalo has had some pretty good linebackers over the years...

I remember going to the games with my dad back in those days and it got to be such a joke that my dad would actually cheer "Attaboy Freddy!!!" as soon as Smerlas got his first off sides of the day. My uncle on the other hand, would be beside himself... "He's lined up directly in front OF THE BALL! How can he lineup or jump off sides!?!?" Good times man, good times.

I agree with you on Haslett, he was great, but I'm thinking there's a great number of linebackers in Buffalo's history... Jimmy might not make it.

I'll be sorely disappointed if Greg Cater doesn't make it for punter, BTW... :doh: