Bucs release DerrickBrooks, Warrick Dunn and Joey Galloway

:nana:

Brooks is arguably the greatest OLB in a cover 2 system ever. Anyone have any idea how he actually was last year? He would be the type of leader this team could really use.

Great point. Brooks still has tread on his tires, and knows the system. Now I'm torn about my RD#2 choice, as I think I'd rather have Brooks than these rookie draft picks.

The Bucs BLEW UP their team. It was not for the money, it was a change in direction according to the front office. The Tampa 2 & west coast offense are finished in Tampa. With Dungy out of Indy that could leave Buffalo & Chicago as the only Tampa 2 teams. Brooks is on his last legs, the only value he would have to a team would be as a leader...............the Bucs will miss him in the locker room MUCH MORE than on the field. Galloway if healthy is still fast..........useless in Buffalo, but maybe the Giants? June would be a fit in Buffalo.

Cato June

Grade: 68 | Key This grade means that they consider him an average starter.

Alert: None

Comment: June moved from the weak outside linebacker position he was playing in Indianapolis to the strong outside linebacker position for the Buccaneers. He is undersized for the position, but plays with good instincts and is very athletic. He plays with a good motor and is very competitive going to the ball. He has the intelligence to play on either side and not miss a beat. He does a good job of recognizing blocking schemes and is quick to locate the level of the ball. He takes good angles and can adjust on the move. He can struggle when he has to take on and defeat blockers while at the point of attack and generally has to run around most blockers rather than take them on. He is not the strongest tackler and does not always come under control before contact, which can cause him to miss his share of tackles. He looks athletic when dropping into space and does a good job of defending the pass. He can close on the ball and shows ball skills when he gets to the area. While he probably fits the weak side linebacker spot better, he can be effective playing on the strong side, as well.

The Bucs BLEW UP their team. It was not for the money, it was a change in direction according to the front office. The Tampa 2 & west coast offense are finished in Tampa. With Dungy out of Indy that could leave Buffalo & Chicago as the only Tampa 2 teams. Brooks is on his last legs, the only value he would have to a team would be as a leader...............the Bucs will miss him in the locker room MUCH MORE than on the field. Galloway if healthy is still fast..........useless in Buffalo, but maybe the Giants? June would be a fit in Buffalo.

I'm going to assume (seeing as it seems you live in Florida) that you are the only poster on this subject who has actually watched Derrick Brooks play recently and has actually watched him often.

My gut feeling is that at age 35 (36 in April) that this would be a bad move. Thank you for the confirmation.

It's just like when news came out that Keith Brooking was going to be released by the Falcons and everyone got excited.

Why? Only because they've actually heard of him. He has name recognition. The Bills fan who lives in Atlanta quickly and in no uncertain terms stated, in detail, that Brooking is washed up.

Thanks for weighing in with an informed opinion.

I'm going to assume (seeing as it seems you live in Florida) that you are the only poster on this subject who has actually watched Derrick Brooks play recently and has actually watched him often.

My gut feeling is that at age 35 (36 in April) that this would be a bad move. Thank you for the confirmation.

It's just like when news came out that Keith Brooking was going to be released by the Falcons and everyone got excited.

Why? Only because they've actually heard of him. He has name recognition. The Bills fan who lives in Atlanta quickly and in no uncertain terms stated, in detail, that Brooking is washed up.

Thanks for weighing in with an informed opinion.

You're welcome. :nana: I have been a Bucs fan since 84 when I moved to SW Fla. There were no Sports Bars or Sat. TV. I got to watch the Bills twice a year against the Fins. It was nice though sitting at a TIKI Bar on the beach with the Bills/Fins on one TV & the Bucs on the other. I hope Derick retires because as I said while he is still a GREAT leader it is SAD to watch a future HOF player that has lost it. Now if he goes to the Pats* I'm sure they will hook him up with some HGH & he will play like he is 28 again.

So, assuming the Bills aren't trying to trade Marshawn Lynch, and assuming they aren't really serious contenders to sign the aging, but not useless, Fred Taylor, why not give Warrick Dunn a look?

I know the previous GM (remember when Marv Levy was our GM, no sh--?) was a big fan. Dunn had a nice season for he Bucs last year, and can still catch the ball out of the backfield. As his critics love to point out (I am not one, btw) Trent Edwards loves to check down, so wouldn't it be nice to have a third down back who can catch the ball? Think Larry Centers. And maybe, just maybe, Dunn could be a valuable role model for our talented, but wayward running back... just a thought...

So, assuming the Bills aren't trying to trade Marshawn Lynch, and assuming they aren't really serious contenders to sign the aging, but not useless, Fred Taylor, why not give Warrick Dunn a look?

I know the previous GM (remember when Marv Levy was our GM, no sh--?) was a big fan. Dunn had a nice season for he Bucs last year, and can still catch the ball out of the backfield. As his critics love to point out (I am not one, btw) Trent Edwards loves to check down, so wouldn't it be nice to have a third down back who can catch the ball? Think Larry Centers. And maybe, just maybe, Dunn could be a valuable role model for our talented, but wayward running back... just a thought...

:lol: I agree, Dunn still has a little left & like Brooks is a GREAT person & LEADER.

Brooks, one of the all-time greats, took a major step backward, last year, in his performance and stats. He didn't suck, but he wasn't Derrick Brooks, out there. I would expect that decline to continue.

Now, I would love to be wrong, should the Bills decide to pick him up, and it might be worth a shot. But, a guy who goes to a new team isn't likely to be a leader, if he can't do it on the field. This is one I would look at closely...but, it has to depend on the evaluation...does he have anything left, or is Brooks done. (See what I did there?)

June is young enough to roll the dice on, but it is interesting to note the big decline in his stats, since leaving the Colts.