Impressing Performances at the combine

thebandit27

A couple of guys at need positions really caught my eye...

Eric Wood, the center from Louisville, looks really good. I've mentioned him here before, and most of you have other centers that you'd prefer, but I really feel like he's going to be a great NFL center (not that I have a bit of NFL scouting experience). His best traits were on display, as he looked smooth and in control in the footwork drills, and I think he acquitted himself very nicely in the bench press. He put up 30 reps at 225 pounds, which is a bit more strength than anyone (including myself) seemed to be giving him credit for. Really like him.

Shawn Nelson, the tight end from Southern Miss, could be an impact player as a rookie if he gets put in the right offense. He's got great speed and hands, and some of the film that NFLN ran shows him as a very effective and willing blocker. He looked great in that gauntlet drill they run, keeping his path nice and straight and showing good hands. He's probably going to be a mid 2nd round pick now.

Other guys that just happen to catch my eye include: Patrick Turner (WR-USC) is a big, fluid strider with decent hands; Nathan Swift (WR-Nebraska) is catching everything near him and seems to have great balance; Brian Robiskie (WR-Ohio State) is a lot faster than I thought he was; Javarris Williams (RB-Tenn State) looks like somebody chiseled him out of marble--he's rrrrrrrripped; Jason Smith (OT-Baylor) may have put himself in the driver's seat to be the No. 1 overall pick.

That's my completely amatuer analysis, anybody have any other players/observations?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eric wood and Shawn Nelson both looked very good, I also like TE Cook from So carolina, Hakeem Nicks ran a good 40, he is a very good receiver, great hands, runs great routes and a Solid Kid, I question Patrick Turners speed, did he run today? what was his time? good hands and good route runner

eric wood and Shawn Nelson both looked very good, I also like TE Cook from So carolina, Hakeem Nicks ran a good 40, he is a very good receiver, great hands, runs great routes and a Solid Kid, I question Patrick Turners speed, did he run today? what was his time? good hands and good route runner

Unfortunately the link I posted earlier only lists the top ten performer at each position for each drill. I can't find where they list all performers.

Regardless, here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/combine/players

In answer to your question, Turner did not make the top ten wideouts so his time could not have been better than 4.44.

A couple of guys at need positions really caught my eye...

Eric Wood, the center from Louisville, looks really good. I've mentioned him here before, and most of you have other centers that you'd prefer, but I really feel like he's going to be a great NFL center (not that I have a bit of NFL scouting experience). His best traits were on display, as he looked smooth and in control in the footwork drills, and I think he acquitted himself very nicely in the bench press. He put up 30 reps at 225 pounds, which is a bit more strength than anyone (including myself) seemed to be giving him credit for. Really like him.

Shawn Nelson, the tight end from Southern Miss, could be an impact player as a rookie if he gets put in the right offense. He's got great speed and hands, and some of the film that NFLN ran shows him as a very effective and willing blocker. He looked great in that gauntlet drill they run, keeping his path nice and straight and showing good hands. He's probably going to be a mid 2nd round pick now.

Other guys that just happen to catch my eye include: Patrick Turner (WR-USC) is a big, fluid strider with decent hands; Nathan Swift (WR-Nebraska) is catching everything near him and seems to have great balance; Brian Robiskie (WR-Ohio State) is a lot faster than I thought he was; Javarris Williams (RB-Tenn State) looks like somebody chiseled him out of marble--he's rrrrrrrripped; Jason Smith (OT-Baylor) may have put himself in the driver's seat to be the No. 1 overall pick.

That's my completely amatuer analysis, anybody have any other players/observations?

Din't you mean to say "impressive performances at the combine" instead of something as illiterate as "impressing performances at the combine"?

If you would have just stuck with "good performances at the combine" that would have turned out a lot better.

Wood or Mack would be great at Center. Pettigrew may have run a 4.8, but he's still the best TE in the draft and the only 1st round TE. He is one of the more complete and well-rounded TEs to come along in a while.

It's raining TE's in this draft. The Bills have many needs. Why take Pettigrew at 11? Threre are 3 TE' sthat have the same athletic ability and both Nelson and Jared Cook, and Casey are better deep threats. We could get one in the 2-4th round that would imporve the team as much or more if you are looking for a down the field guy. Pettigrew is not any better as an athlete than Gronkowski who will likely be around unitl the 4th or 5 th round or lower

I would hate Pettigrew at pick 11.

Use pick 11 somewhere else. Like DE or LB (Pass Rushing) or DT. Or trade out of the spot. I would not mind Pettigrew at pick 28. Yes I do think he will be there at 28 and if not. Oh Well. Were stuck with Jared Cook who has the potential to be a perennial pro bowl guy. If need by I would have no problem Waiting around until the 4th round for a TE.

I'd say that Tiquan Underwood from Rutgers has dramatically improved his stock at the combine. He was a top performer in every drill except the bench press and 60-yard shuttle. He had a 4.41 40(6th), a 41.5" vertical(2nd), a 10'9" broad jump(tops), a 6.62 3-cone drill(tops), and a 4.11 20-yard shuttle(3rd). He was VERY impressive.

Din't you mean to say "impressive performances at the combine" instead of something as illiterate as "impressing performances at the combine"?

If you would have just stuck with "good performances at the combine" that would have turned out a lot better.

Yeah "thebandit27," you imbicile! ^_^

Wood or Mack would be great at Center. Pettigrew may have run a 4.8, but he's still the best TE in the draft and the only 1st round TE. He is one of the more complete and well-rounded TEs to come along in a while.

a TE that runs a 4.8 better be able to shift to LT - because that's the only way he belongs in the 1st round.

4.8 speed from a TE does not make an elite talent

a TE that runs a 4.8 better be able to shift to LT - because that's the only way he belongs in the 1st round.

Jared Cook moved into the 1st Round. Pettigrew now is at the bottom of the first round maybe early second. . Smith (LT Alabama dropping like a stone). Crabtree may have moved out of the top ten. Sanchez may also have dropped out of the top 10.

Mack did not run???

It's raining TE's in this draft. The Bills have many needs. Why take Pettigrew at 11? Threre are 3 TE' sthat have the same athletic ability and both Nelson and Jared Cook, and Casey are better deep threats. We could get one in the 2-4th round that would imporve the team as much or more if you are looking for a down the field guy. Pettigrew is not any better as an athlete than Gronkowski who will likely be around unitl the 4th or 5 th round or lower

I would hate Pettigrew at pick 11.

Use pick 11 somewhere else. Like DE or LB (Pass Rushing) or DT. Or trade out of the spot. I would not mind Pettigrew at pick 28. Yes I do think he will be there at 28 and if not. Oh Well. Were stuck with Jared Cook who has the potential to be a perennial pro bowl guy. If need by I would have no problem Waiting around until the 4th round for a TE.

The Bills, call them nuts call them crazy but call them consistent in that THEY LIKE TEs WHO CAN BLOCK. Pettigrew is a manimal, an awesome blocker who can also be a very good reciever. Nelson, Cook and Casey are not good blockers, regardless of footage from a few select plays shows. Drool all you like, but expect Pettigrew or some 4th or 5th round guy we've never heard of who might develop in a few years.

Yes, it does. And if you doubt it, check the mocks of every analyst out there. You'll find Pettigrew in the top 32 of virtually every one.

Way to bring your always-astute observations into the discussion Poland.

I disagree. Pettigrew was never billed as a guy who would burn people downfield or gain many yards after the catch. He's a 6'6" 260lbs safety valve with sure hands who can also block. Way too much emphasis is placed on 40 times.

Vernon Davis ran crazy fast at the Combine and that parlayed into nothing in the NFL.

But he didn't help himself with that time, Cook on the other hand did, no arguement here on that. Besides, you know Pettigrew will run again at his pro day and look to better his time.