Fewell: Moving Poz outside an option

JoeF

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

From Chris Brown and his band of renown

Moving Poz outside only an option

By Chris Brown - Posted February 22nd, 2009

Just finished talking with Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell here at the combine and he was asked about whether he’d be open to moving Paul Posluszny outside if the right MLB talent was available either in free agency or the draft. Here was his response.

“That’s a question we’ve asked ourselves,” said Fewell. “I’m very comfortable with Poz being in the middle. If we had to do something where we’d have to move him out (from the middle) I would speak to Paul first about that. I think that’s a great option for us because he gives us some flexibility and you do want to draft the next best player.

“I would see Paul (still) running our defense like he did last year if we did make that move, but that’s all speculation right now. Whatever happens on draft day or in free agency will determine whether we can afford to make that move or not.”

Now Fewell asserted that moving Poz to OLB is not Plan ‘A’, but acknowledged it is an option if a certain set of circumstances unfolds.

“That’s not plan ‘A’, but it’s a possibility,” Fewell said.

Tags: Paul Posluszny, Perry Fewell

Sounds like it leaves the door open for us to select Maualuga in round 1. Hmmm, I don't know. If we can't get a quality guy to play Crowell's vacated slot, this article leads me to believe they draft Rey Maualuga to play the middle on first and second down. If Poz is leading the defense still, they will have him on the field in the obvious passing situations where we're in the "Dime" package. Maybe the "Billszone" guy was telling the truth. This sure leads me to believe that they're thiniking about Maualuga.

It's always funny to see Chris Brown continue to pretend he's a reporter of some kind. Like he's working the combine and "ran into" Fewell.

More like:

Fewell: "read this question to me and then read your answer from that piece of paper."

Brown: "Got it."

I just cannot understand why the coaches have not tried to get Poz and Digi on the field at the same time. Both can play inside or out. When Crowell was put on IR, they both should have been penciled in as starters. I know Digi got injured later in the year, on special teams I believe, but before that there is no feasible reason not to put him on the field over Ellison, especially when a coach admits that Poz could play outside.

I just cannot understand why the coaches have not tried to get Poz and Digi on the field at the same time. Both can play inside or out. When Crowell was put on IR, they both should have been penciled in as starters. I know Digi got injured later in the year, on special teams I believe, but before that there is no feasible reason not to put him on the field over Ellison, especially when a coach admits that Poz could play outside.

maybe because the Pizza boy does not qualify as an NFL caliber backup - let alone a starter

Sounds like it leaves the door open for us to select Maualuga in round 1. Hmmm, I don't know. If we can't get a quality guy to play Crowell's vacated slot, this article leads me to believe they draft Rey Maualuga to play the middle on first and second down. If Poz is leading the defense still, they will have him on the field in the obvious passing situations where we're in the "Dime" package. Maybe the "Billszone" guy was telling the truth. This sure leads me to believe that they're thiniking about Maualuga.

This post sounds accurate. Perhaps frighteningly so.

I think this team is quite capable of using the 11th overall pick to reach for a LB, while neglecting other, better players who would fill more important holes on this team. This front office generally uses its early picks on positions where rookies make quick contributions: running backs, cornerbacks, safeties, and linebackers. As a result, the Jauron-era Bills have drafted no offensive linemen before round 5.

There are three good ways the Bills can handle the LB position:

1. Re-sign Angelo Crowell. He knows the defense, and he'd likely be relatively inexpensive. He was a solid player before his injury.

2. Move Poz to the outside, and put DiGorgio in the middle. Then draft a MLB and an OLB in rounds 3 - 7 for depth.

3. Sign a solid OLB--but not so solid we'd have to break the bank for him.

Any of the above options would get us out of using a first or second round pick on a LB. Our early picks could then be used on more important areas of need, such as the offensive and defensive lines.