Fewell: Moving Poz outside an option

JoeF

John Vilma anyone?

My sense is that an FA starting at MLB makes a ton more sense than Malauga or any other rookie. Players have said fairly widely that even a vet needs to play the Cover 2 for a year if they have not done it before and often a little more before they become adequate at making the proper reads needed to play Cover 2.

A rookie may be talented enough to be a first year starter after being drafted in the 1st round (unfortunately though the conventional wisdom in these parts is that a rookie drafted in the 1st is expected to be a 1st year starter, my survey of reality is that actually only about 50% of 1st round drafter rookies are 1st on the depth chart at their position at the beginning of their 2nd season) but not only will this rookie LB we pick be expected to better than average real world results for a 1st round drafted rookie, but also if we start him he will need to produce better results than most NFL vets.

Sure it can happen, it is just pretty doubtful that we will have more than a lost year if a rookie starts at MLB in our Tampa 2 type D.

If Malauga or some by consensus less talented rookie is thrown into the starting MLB role by us then then while the hope would be that this player is the next Lawrence Taylor (even though this player by definition drops to the non-elite level where we have an outside the top 10 pick) the best we likely could expect would be that this talented player simply learns a lot as a rookie by getting fooled into dropping back on running plays and attacking the LOS while some RB or even a WR runs into the vacant spot in the mid-deep zone left open by our rookie MLB.

I think the Bills braintrust will feel a ton of pressure to make the playoffs this year and its hard for me to see them giving up a W or 2 while this rookie MLB learns to become a vet.