Fios users

RU Serious

I am switching from Directv to fios beginning of March. Was this a good move?

It's definitely fast. We have it at work, and when you watch streaming video, it looks like you're watching it on a flat screen. No little squares whatsoever.

Also, there's barely any waiting when you download something. Even if it's a few hundred MB's, it's done within a minute.

I'm sure home users can provide more input, but from my experience, it works well.

I've never had FIOS, but I can guarantee you one thing before you switch--they will have infinitely better customer service than DirecTV. Heck, you could have customer service run by chimps and you'd have infinitely better customer service than DirecTV, so it's not really saying much. DTV is truly, incredibly awful in that department. Not once, but twice did they have me schedule repair visits (making sure I was home for each during workdays, as is their requirement) and then not only be late, but simply fail to show up that day. If they didn't have NFL Sunday ticket they'd be out of business in 6 months or less. It's a a disgrace, really, that the League has done an exclusive deal with them, effectively subjecting all of us to this shoddy company.....

I've never had FIOS, but I can guarantee you one thing before you switch--they will have infinitely better customer service than DirecTV. Heck, you could have customer service run by chimps and you'd have infinitely better customer service than DirecTV, so it's not really saying much. DTV is truly, incredibly awful in that department. Not once, but twice did they have me schedule repair visits (making sure I was home for each during workdays, as is their requirement) and then not only be late, but simply fail to show up that day. If they didn't have NFL Sunday ticket they'd be out of business in 6 months or less. It's a a disgrace, really, that the League has done an exclusive deal with them, effectively subjecting all of us to this shoddy company.....

Agreed, If it wasnt for the Sunday Ticket mine would be off in a second.

Matt, I'm sure once Fezmid see this, he'll challenge you.

Most of us here had or have DirecTV. I have only fhe NFL Sunday ticker with them, and while I don't like the cost (it's tripled sice it's inception (C-Band Satellite, 1994), and HD costs another $99.00, it is a sweet offering, although simply too expensive. The NFL is the chief reason why, but DirecTV tkaes strong advantage as well.

With that said, while their installers (contractors, not employees) frequently stink, DirecTV customer service is better than most companies I've dealt with. I'd at least give them a B grade.

The local installers are subcontractors - they're not DirecTV employees.

If you call DirecTV and complain that the installers are late (or miss the appointment completely), they give you a good credit - usually $50. Their customer service is top-notch, but the local contractors are hit or miss.

I made the switch from DirecTV to Fios. Internet is smoking fast, TV package is better than DirecTV. I'll miss Sunday ticket but I wont miss the high cost. I was able to cut about $400 from my budget by making the switch. It was a good move from my perspective. The ability to record a show from one room and watch on another was a big selling point for my household. On DirecTV my teenagers would fight over control of the tv that had the DVR. This eleiminated that headache.

The local installers are hit and miss, that's my only beef with DTV.

Otherwise, I had an issue with my original HD receiver and I was issued and upgraded

receiver and upgraded dish with not cost to me. I also called them three weeks ago and

asked about a HD DVR and was told it was 200 bucks. I mentioned I thought that was a

little high and they, without any prompting, hooked me up with a DVR for free. They also

ran a new cable and added another small box allowing for two connections to the DVR.

My only issue with DTV is weather. Otherwise customer service has been above excellent

whenever I call them.

Anyway, were I live I can't get FIOS anyway. They have talked about a 2 to 3 year wait.

The local installers are subcontractors - they're not DirecTV employees.

If you call DirecTV and complain that the installers are late (or miss the appointment completely), they give you a good credit - usually $50. Their customer service is top-notch, but the local contractors are hit or miss.

Their cutomer service is NOT top notch. I had a moron come install a HD dish, and he didn't secure it properly (And I don't give a schitt if it's an outside contractor or not, it's DTV's resonsibility to get it done right - however they choose to get it done). Well, my dish isn't secure and loses it's signal within 7 days of installation. So, I call DTV, and their answer to get me up and running is getting someone to my house within 20 days. TWENTY DAYS. So, I call and get a manager and he says that's all he can do. Idiot.

He then tells me to call a number and try to get on a cancellation list and see if someone can come out sooner if there is a cancellation. He gives me the number. I then tell him to do it, since DTV didn't get the install right. He says he tried and 20 days is all they could give him. So, I hang up more than pissed off, and I call the local comany who handles their installs for DTV. They come out THE SAME DAY and fix my problem for $75.

So, I call the nimrod back from DTV and want them to credit me $75 for RE-INSTALLING a dish that should have been done properly 7 days earlier, and after a 15 minute battle, he finally gives me the credit.....or so I think. This was December 27th, and to this day, along with 6 more calls, I still haven't gotten my credit.

Yeah, they are great with customer service (sarcasm on). ^_^:lol:

If it wasn't for the NFL package, they most likely would be out of business. And let me tell you, I'm not real fond of Comcast either, but at least their CS seemed ok. THey just raised fees every year until FIOS got to town.

DTV customer service sucks ass.

For the FIOS question..........I've had it for two years (internet and phone only), and it has worked fast and flawless every step of the way. Never had a problem.

Their cutomer service is NOT top notch. I had a moron come install a HD dish, and he didn't secure it properly (And I don't give a schitt if it's an outside contractor or not, it's DTV's resonsibility to get it done right - however they choose to get it done). Well, my dish isn't secure and loses it's signal within 7 days of installation. So, I call DTV, and their answer to get me up and running is getting someone to my house within 20 days. TWENTY DAYS. So, I call and get a manager and he says that's all he can do. Idiot.

He then tells me to call a number and try to get on a cancellation list and see if someone can come out sooner if there is a cancellation. He gives me the number. I then tell him to do it, since DTV didn't get the install right. He says he tried and 20 days is all they could give him. So, I hang up more than pissed off, and I call the local comany who handles their installs for DTV. They come out THE SAME DAY and fix my problem for $75.

So, I call the nimrod back from DTV and want them to credit me $75 for RE-INSTALLING a dish that should have been done properly 7 days earlier, and after a 15 minute battle, he finally gives me the credit.....or so I think. This was December 27th, and to this day, along with 6 more calls, I still haven't gotten my credit.

Yeah, they are great with customer service (sarcasm on). ^_^:lol:

If it wasn't for the NFL package, they most likely would be out of business. And let me tell you, I'm not real fond of Comcast either, but at least their CS seemed ok. THey just raised fees every year until FIOS got to town.

DTV customer service sucks ass.

For the FIOS question..........I've had it for two years (internet and phone only), and it has worked fast and flawless every step of the way. Never had a problem.

All of your complaints seem to be about the local installer, not DTV. And, while I understand you think DTV should ultimately be responsible for their contractors, you should also be aware they are two separate entities. For you to conclude that DTV service is horrible and they would be :out of business" is absurd, as you are basing your judgment on a bad experience with a LOCAL installer who is hardly representative of DTV customer service.

All of your complaints seem to be about the local installer, not DTV. And, while I understand you think DTV should ultimately be responsible for their contractors, you should also be aware they are two separate entities. For you to conclude that DTV service is horrible and they would be :out of business" is absurd, as you are basing your judgment on a bad experience with a LOCAL installer who is hardly representative of DTV customer service.

Again, wrong as usual.

I called DTV (1-800-directtv or 1-888) whatever it is and setup a change to a HDTV dish with DTV not a local installer. DTV set up install. DTV scheduled my time. DTV took all orders for the HD receiver and to change my dish. I don't give a rats ass HOW or WHO installs my dish and gets the service up and running. I didn't call a local installer. I called DTV and they handled (mishandled) everything about it. The fact that they don't have their own installers is of no concern to me. I called them for their service, they handled it, and it was botched. When that happens THEY need to correct the problem. I don't give two schitts that they contract out their work.

And let's go even further into DTV customer service. I'm a pretty big NHL fan. So, every year, after football season, I order the NHL package when it is discounted. Of course, the package renews itself automatically every year, so you have to call and cancel it every year, so you won't incur the full package price at the beginning of the new NHL season.

So, TWO years in a row, I call and cancel the package after the playoffs are over, and TWO years in a row, I get charged the full package price in Sept (?) or whenever the new season charge appears. The first year, no big deal. Just a mistake right? The second year, I cancel it TWICE, yet it appears on my online statement come Sept or Oct whenever the renewal is. I called them AGAIN and went ballistic and told them to cancel it. THen, the moron lady tells me that she can't cancel it becaue it's past the deadline of being able to back out of the deal. Ummmmm, yeah ok. THat's gonna happen. So again, I'm on the line with DTV managers......irate.......telling them to take the schitt off of my bill and cancel the NHL package.

So, yes, they would be out of business. DTV, without the NFL package is nothing. I like DTV because I can get the package, however, they would fold if the package was ever offered on cable.....or better yet FIOS. The fact that they are behind the times with their DVR and that you have to pay for a receiver in every room is garbage. DTV has a customer base solely because of the NFL. Otherwise, why in the world would you have it? Especially now that FIOS is here.

Sorry DTV, your customer service blows. Period. Love you for the package, but that's all.

Deano, I must say that the Mastech( the local contractor for DTV) here in Richmond is god awful. If I did not have the Sunday ticket, I would be on FIOS quick as a bunny. I have dealt with Mastech 3 times in six years, and each experience has been enough for me to almost give up and start going to the bars to watch games again. The last experience was horrendous, as first installer tried to rip me off by saying I needed more cable runs instead of offering the DTV solution, which is something called a Single Wire MultiSwitch. It took me doing some research on the web( and here for that matter) to understand the guy was trying to completly rip me off. I know where LV is coming from. I know it was mastech, but no matter to me, to me it was DTV.

My hood just been fitted for FIOS as well

Deano, I must say that the Mastech( the local contractor for DTV) here in Richmond is god awful. If I did not have the Sunday ticket, I would be on FIOS quick as a bunny. I have dealt with Mastech 3 times in six years, and each experience has been enough for me to almost give up and start going to the bars to watch games again. The last experience was horrendous, as first installer tried to rip me off by saying I needed more cable runs instead of offering the DTV solution, which is something called a Single Wire MultiSwitch. It took me doing some research on the web( and here for that matter) to understand the guy was trying to completly rip me off. I know where LV is coming from. I know it was mastech, but no matter to me, to me it was DTV.

My hood just been fitted for FIOS as well

I don't doubt your experience...and it reflects badly on DTV. But is is clear that you understand the difference between the local installer and DTV. To assume everyone has terrible service from your experience would be an illogical assumption, as other installers, in other areas, might be much better.

My point wasn't to defend DTV (I don't subscribe to DTV, own their stock, or know anyone who works for them) it was simply pointing out that, the bad experience described in the earlier post was (as was stated earlier from other posters) from a local installer, and not DTV. And, as I also explained, I can understand how a customer might be angry at DTV...but they should understand where the problem really lies.

Why does this matter? Well, if I was considering DTV, I might assume that DTV has the terrible service, and discount it altogether, based on some of the criticism, here. In fact, though, it would behoove me to find out about the local installer in my area, to assess the likelihood of good, or bad, service. Your experience with Mastech, while bad, isn't that relevant to my situation, if I wasn't going to be dealing with Mastech.

Now, if I were advising DTV, I would try to emphasize the problem they have with contractors sullying their reputation, and suggest they find a solution to this poor service.

Fios is great. You know it's good when Time Warner starts making all their ads about them.

Great handle and avatar. The Bad Lieutenant was one creepy film. For those who haven't seen it, you MUST watch the unrated version. The edited version that Blockbuster carried (carries?) was a horrible butchering of the movie.