Fios users

RU Serious

Great handle and avatar. The Bad Lieutenant was one creepy film. For those who haven't seen it, you MUST watch the unrated version. The edited version that Blockbuster carried (carries?) was a horrible butchering of the movie.

Unfortunately Werner Herzog is remaking Bad Lieutenant with Nick Cage as Harvey Keitel's character. I'm pissed! Cage doesn't have the balls to show his schlong like Harvey did!

Unfortunately Werner Herzog is remaking Bad Lieutenant with Nick Cage as Harvey Keitel's character. I'm pissed! Cage doesn't have the balls to show his schlong like Harvey did!

Cage? Holy crap!

I have FIOS and love it. Very fast and seems to be more reliable than TWC with regard to internet outages and the frequency at which you need to reset the modem.

2 very notable caveats:

1. Do not fool yourself for one second by thinking Verizon customer service will somehow be better than any one else. Hell mostly likely has a less painful and bureaucratic method of treating child molesters who tortured animals while on their way to rob the elderly. Consider yourself warned.

2. If you use are an Xbox Live subscriber (or plan to be one) and and would like to connect your Xbox to your home network wirelessly, you may have a problem. The standard issue mode/router they supply (Actiontec MI424WR) has firmware that causes NAT issues. Long story short, you may have to hardwire the 360 to your router. No a major issue for some people, but depending on where your console is in relation to your router it could be a pain.

Again, wrong as usual.

Wow, do you you always act like an ignorant ass, or just in this thread? :D

So, yes, they would be out of business. DTV, without the NFL package is nothing.

So how does Dish stay in business? They generally use the same subcontractors for installation. Heck, in some areas, so does Comcast/TimeWarner/etc!

The fact that they are behind the times with their DVR and that you have to pay for a receiver in every room is garbage.

Umm... What cable/sat company doesn't charge per receiver?

And how are they "behind the times" with their DVR? For a long time they had the best DVR in the world - TiVo. They signed a new agreement with TiVo last year, so chances are a new DirecTiVo will be out later this year. And even though I'm not a huge fan of their new HD DVR, it's light years ahead of Charter's DVR. Then again, Charter actually IS going bankrupt, so...

I like being able to stream recorded shows from my DVR to my PC. That seems pretty cutting edge to me (stolen from TiVo, but hey).

DTV has a customer base solely because of the NFL. Otherwise, why in the world would you have it? Especially now that FIOS is here.

Sorry DTV, your customer service blows. Period. Love you for the package, but that's all.

Everytime I've had a bad experience with DirecTV, they've bent over backwards to make it right. Maybe they give you bad service because you're belligerent on the phone with them?

Some examples:

1. Wild vs Ducks in the conference finals. DirecTV thinks that the game is being aired locally, so blacks out the feed on ESPN, per NHL regulations. After the first period (and the only goal scored by the Wild in the entire 4 game series...), they realize the mistake and put the game back on. I call DirecTV the next day and complain -- they give me a $50 credit on my account.

2. Sometime in March a couple of years ago, we got a big ice/snowstorm, and the wind was blowing in such a way that it completely buried my dish, yet most of my nieghbors had only a half an inch of snow. :beer: I called DirecTV, they sent an installer out the next morning. They show up, see that the dish is high on the roof, and tell me that they can't brush the snow off because of the underlying ice - already had several people fall and hurt themselves. I call around for a company that removes snow from the roof, but it costs $400. I call DirecTV and ask what they can do. They suggest a snow removal company, and I tell them that it costs $400 so I can't afford that for TV. They offer me a $200 credit on my bill. The next day, the snow melts off the roof.

3. I ordered two HD DVRs. Something gets mixed up, and the installer is told I only need one. I call DirecTV to complain. They give me a $50 credit and ship a new HD DVR overnight to me. For free.

These are the three that pop into mind right away - there's been many more positive stories I've posted over the years.

Now my Comcast story:

I move into a new house and sign up for Comcast internet for my job. They come a couple of days after I move in and hook me up. Only I can't connect to the network. Installer says, "It's a momentary blip in the neighborhood, it'll be fine in an hour," and leaves. An hour goes by and nothing. A day goes by and nothing. i'm then on the phone every day for an entire MONTH trying to get service. Eventually I start telling them what they need to do to fix the problem, but the only people who can fix it are in Denver and I'm apparently not allowed to talk to them. After spending 30 days, a minimum of 2-4 hours/day on the the phone, they finally fix my service. I call them and tell them I want some free service for the month it took to get the problem solved. Their response? "We can't give you anything, but we won't charge you for the month you were without service." :devil:

So I'd say that DirecTV's customer service is about 1,000,000,000,000x better than Comcast.

As for FIOS - most of the country can't get it, and despite what you think DirecTV customer service is light years ahead of the cable companies. Here's proof (and also makes note that FiOS is even slightly ahead in customer service):

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressReleas...008+PRN20081001

2. If you use are an Xbox Live subscriber (or plan to be one) and and would like to connect your Xbox to your home network wirelessly, you may have a problem. The standard issue mode/router they supply (Actiontec MI424WR) has firmware that causes NAT issues. Long story short, you may have to hardwire the 360 to your router. No a major issue for some people, but depending on where your console is in relation to your router it could be a pain.

I just got FiOS internet installed on Thursday. Let me echo this advice - dump the supplied router (in my case I got a Westell) and get a Buffalo or Linksys and flash it with dd-wrt. Verizon's internet service is simply second to none. Last year I actually switched from Comcast to slower Verizon DSL, because Comcast is so subpar in my area. Verizon's only achilles heel is billing.

I'd love to jump on the TV bandwagon as well, but DirecTV does offer three distinct advantages to me - Sunday Ticket, east coast locals (I "moved"), and the Buffalo feed of MSG in HD. I could live without the east coast locals if they somehow acquired the other two.

Wow, do you you always act like an ignorant ass, or just in this thread? :pirate:

So how does Dish stay in business? They generally use the same subcontractors for installation. Heck, in some areas, so does Comcast/TimeWarner/etc!

Umm... What cable/sat company doesn't charge per receiver?

And how are they "behind the times" with their DVR? For a long time they had the best DVR in the world - TiVo. They signed a new agreement with TiVo last year, so chances are a new DirecTiVo will be out later this year. And even though I'm not a huge fan of their new HD DVR, it's light years ahead of Charter's DVR. Then again, Charter actually IS going bankrupt, so...

I like being able to stream recorded shows from my DVR to my PC. That seems pretty cutting edge to me (stolen from TiVo, but hey).

Everytime I've had a bad experience with DirecTV, they've bent over backwards to make it right. Maybe they give you bad service because you're belligerent on the phone with them?

Some examples:

1. Wild vs Ducks in the conference finals. DirecTV thinks that the game is being aired locally, so blacks out the feed on ESPN, per NHL regulations. After the first period (and the only goal scored by the Wild in the entire 4 game series...), they realize the mistake and put the game back on. I call DirecTV the next day and complain -- they give me a $50 credit on my account.

2. Sometime in March a couple of years ago, we got a big ice/snowstorm, and the wind was blowing in such a way that it completely buried my dish, yet most of my nieghbors had only a half an inch of snow. :( I called DirecTV, they sent an installer out the next morning. They show up, see that the dish is high on the roof, and tell me that they can't brush the snow off because of the underlying ice - already had several people fall and hurt themselves. I call around for a company that removes snow from the roof, but it costs $400. I call DirecTV and ask what they can do. They suggest a snow removal company, and I tell them that it costs $400 so I can't afford that for TV. They offer me a $200 credit on my bill. The next day, the snow melts off the roof.

3. I ordered two HD DVRs. Something gets mixed up, and the installer is told I only need one. I call DirecTV to complain. They give me a $50 credit and ship a new HD DVR overnight to me. For free.

These are the three that pop into mind right away - there's been many more positive stories I've posted over the years.

Now my Comcast story:

I move into a new house and sign up for Comcast internet for my job. They come a couple of days after I move in and hook me up. Only I can't connect to the network. Installer says, "It's a momentary blip in the neighborhood, it'll be fine in an hour," and leaves. An hour goes by and nothing. A day goes by and nothing. i'm then on the phone every day for an entire MONTH trying to get service. Eventually I start telling them what they need to do to fix the problem, but the only people who can fix it are in Denver and I'm apparently not allowed to talk to them. After spending 30 days, a minimum of 2-4 hours/day on the the phone, they finally fix my service. I call them and tell them I want some free service for the month it took to get the problem solved. Their response? "We can't give you anything, but we won't charge you for the month you were without service." :rolleyes:

So I'd say that DirecTV's customer service is about 1,000,000,000,000x better than Comcast.

As for FIOS - most of the country can't get it, and despite what you think DirecTV customer service is light years ahead of the cable companies. Here's proof (and also makes note that FiOS is even slightly ahead in customer service):

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressReleas...008+PRN20081001

Igonorant ass in this thread, because DTV is subpar in customer service, and they like to try to pass off their mistakes because they have subcontractors installing their equipment for them. And some morons buy into that excuse. To me, it's not an excuse. Again, I don't give a rats ass if their subcontractors are bad, it's still DTV who is responsible. And yes, I'm irritated with this crap.

If I order carpet or a hot water heater from Lowe's (which I did) and have it installed by Lowe's (which I did), they are responsible for every part of the installation and it's success along the way. They call you within 48 hours to see if the installer has contacted you. They call you the day of installation to see how it's going and if the installer is there. They call you the day after installation to see how it went. For a gas hot water heater, my county in VA requires a building inspector to take a look at the job when it's over. The installer forgot to add some kind of clip to one of our pipes so it failed inspection. I called Lowe's.....not the sub-contractor.......and Lowe's had that subcontractor out there the same day and the re-inspection from County done the same to completion. I had to do NOTHING.

Now, compare this to DTV. DTV likes to blame their mistakes on their sub-contractors, which shouldn't matter one bit. If that is how DTV chooses to to install DTV's product, that's on them, not me. So, in my case, my DISH was fugged up, period. And even though they fugged it up, thier answer to get me up and running was to be there in TWENTY DAYS. That isn't acceptable. So, they messed up my DTV, which worked fine, and their answer to fix it was they would be there in TWENTY DAYS. Not gonna happen. Especially when the guy I called did the work in about 15 mintues the same day.

So, in short, I fixed the problem better than manager at DTV. What kind of sense does that make? It doesn't. The manager there was a lazy ass, worthless, POS. Period.

Dish stays in business because they are cheaper than DTV.....period. If you aren't an NFL fan, why wouldn't you have DISH? It's really no more complicated than that.

And again, the NHL package thing is a nuisance. I've had to go through about 5 phone calls, just to re-iterate to them that i cancelled the package multiple times. Those are typical things that get people irate.

As for Comcast, I really could care less. Before FIOS and DTV I had Comcast, and they had a monopoly on our whole area. They raised rates every year until FIOS came along. Comcast high speed internet also had many outages and times where the internet was down. However, the cable feeds in additional rooms were free, whereas, DTV you have to pay 4.99 a month per room to have a signal in that room.

FIOS was truly the savior. The product is awesome. The internet is the best ever. The TV is right there with it. And the phone is flawless. The best part about FIOS is that the product is so good, that you never really have to call customer service and battle with them after installation.

With DTV, you have weather outages. There always seems to be problems with sports packages (minor, but enough that you have to call to get them to fix/justify things. There also always seems to be problems with their subcontractors. It gets old.

The reason I say that DTV would go out of business is simple. If FIOS had the NFL package, why would anyone in their right mind stay with DTV? There really would be no reason. None.

All I want out of my TV, is for my schitt to work. Period. I don't want to spend time on the phone talking to anyone or getting credits, or begging for free stuff. I just want my junk to work. Period.

In our house with FIOS, it works flawlessy. I only have DTV on one receiver now in our gameroom (only for the NFL package), and FIOS everywhere else. DTV has become a pain in the ass. It's a shame, because I actually like DTV, I just don't like dealing with all of the BS that goes with it.

If FIOS ever gets the NFL package, which I'm sure they won't, DTV will be in major trouble.

Igonorant ass in this thread, because DTV is subpar in customer service

At least you're honest. :rolleyes:

But if their customer service was as bad as you make it out to be, why are they amongst the top-rated customer service in TV delivery every year...?

As for blaming their subcontractors -- I've never had a problem, but a friend of mine switched from Comcast to DirecTV. The installer never showed up. He called DTV, they apologized and gave him a $50 credit on his bill and sent someone else out the next day. Seems like they're taking responsibility to me. Lowes didn't give you anything for their mistake.

Not sure what happened in your case - but it sounds like it further points to the fact that installers are not all equal -- you get some good ones and you get some bad ones. The good ones obviously outweight the bad ones.

Why would I stay with DirecTV, aside from the Ticket? Because I think their customer service is amazingly good, as do most people according to independent studies. Oh, plus they will hopefully get DirecTiVos back. :pirate:

At least you're honest. :pirate:

But if their customer service was as bad as you make it out to be, why are they amongst the top-rated customer service in TV delivery every year...?

As for blaming their subcontractors -- I've never had a problem, but a friend of mine switched from Comcast to DirecTV. The installer never showed up. He called DTV, they apologized and gave him a $50 credit on his bill and sent someone else out the next day. Seems like they're taking responsibility to me. Lowes didn't give you anything for their mistake.

Not sure what happened in your case - but it sounds like it further points to the fact that installers are not all equal -- you get some good ones and you get some bad ones. The good ones obviously outweight the bad ones.

Why would I stay with DirecTV, aside from the Ticket? Because I think their customer service is amazingly good, as do most people according to independent studies. Oh, plus they will hopefully get DirecTiVos back. :(

In all honesty, I don't want anything. I just want the service done right. For some reason....I've had DTV for 6 years now, and they have been awful this past year for me.

And again, in Lowe's case, I just wanted the problem fixed without me having to wait around another day or taking a day off of work for them to fix it. Thing is, they fixed it for me, right away, and without me having to do the leg work. That hasn't been the case with DTV.

Some of the subcontractors suck. There is no doubt. The guy who came to fix my HD DISH, said the first guy was in idiot. OK, that's great. My problem is that DTV said they would remedy that for me, and they didn't. They also didn't help solve the problem, period.

When one goes through things like this, this is how you lose customers. Now, I'm only with them because I'm a schmuck fan of the NFL, and only they have what I need. If that ever changes, I will change in a heartbeat. All customer service sucks nowadays, so you just want a company to be solid so that hopefully you don't have to call their customer service. Unfortunately DTV ruined that for me this past year. I'm not one looking for a handout. I don't mind paying for good products. I'd rather pay for it, and have it done right, then have to call and battle customer service for credits.

Oh well, life goes on, but it sure reamins a sore spot with me indeed!

:rolleyes: