Excel Help Needed

Bmwolf21

I am entering data into a basic spreadsheet for work, with five fields: customer first/last name, DOB, phone # and T-shirt size. The DOB cells are formatted with a general date format, where the date entered as 4-5-30 defaults to 4/5/1930. But for some reason, a handful of birthdates are defaulting to a year 2000 date - the 4-5-30 is showing up as 4/5/2030. Any ideas what is causing the problem and how I might be able to fix it?

I am entering data into a basic spreadsheet for work, with five fields: customer first/last name, DOB, phone # and T-shirt size. The DOB cells are formatted with a general date format, where the date entered as 4-5-30 defaults to 4/5/1930. But for some reason, a handful of birthdates are defaulting to a year 2000 date - the 4-5-30 is showing up as 4/5/2030. Any ideas what is causing the problem and how I might be able to fix it?

I don't know what the problem is, but try typing in the full 4-digit year.

I already formatted the cells so Excel would convert the 2-digit year into a 4-digit, but I don't know why most of the cells are defaulting to 19xx and a handful are defaulting to 20xx.

When I finished the first sheet I ran a sort and there were only five cells that screwed up the date, so it was easy to correct the mistakes. I was just curious as to what might be causing it so I could avoid it/correct it in the future.

I already formatted the cells so Excel would convert the 2-digit year into a 4-digit, but I don't know why most of the cells are defaulting to 19xx and a handful are defaulting to 20xx.

When I finished the first sheet I ran a sort and there were only five cells that screwed up the date, so it was easy to correct the mistakes. I was just curious as to what might be causing it so I could avoid it/correct it in the future.

I remember I had the same trouble with Bloomberg Excel tools where I wanted to extract ex-dates and it would pull out some as mm/dd/yyyy and others as dd/mm/yy

Try playing with the regional settings in the control panel.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone, but let's face it, they look ridiculous in t-shirts. All of the flab and stuff shows through and it is disgusting.

Excel is a pretty smart program. If you're trying to give a t-shirt to someone born in 1930 it is probably saying to itself :"no way am I giving a t-shirt to someone that old" and it adjusts. Change the t-shirt size to just the word size and it will allow you to default to 19xx.

Surely, there must be something that you can do.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone, but let's face it, they look ridiculous in t-shirts. All of the flab and stuff shows through and it is disgusting.

Excel is a pretty smart program. If you're trying to give a t-shirt to someone born in 1930 it is probably saying to itself :"no way am I giving a t-shirt to someone that old" and it adjusts. Change the t-shirt size to just the word size and it will allow you to default to 19xx.

Okay, sometimes your funny! :sick:

You are using a format that is *'ed i.e. *1/1/2009 switch the column to the format without an asterisk and your dates will go in as entered. With the asterisk your date formating is affected by the operating system and it will automatically enter anything in the range of 00 -29 as 2000 - 2029. seriously this is the fix.

You are using a format that is *'ed i.e. *1/1/2009 switch the column to the format without an asterisk and your dates will go in as entered. With the asterisk your date formating is affected by the operating system and it will automatically enter anything in the range of 00 -29 as 2000 - 2029. seriously this is the fix.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I still have another 75 or so entries to add tomorrow, so I'll see if that works.

I can't change anything in the regional or date/time settings as someone suggested because it is a shared network computer and the IT department locked everyone out of those areas.

Excel is trying to tell you that you should be using Access for your database instead of a spreadsheet program. :sick:

You da man!

Excel is trying to tell you that you should be using Access for your database instead of a spreadsheet program. :sick:

Probably true. I'm probably lucky they even installed Word and Excel on that computer, let alone going with all those other crazy Office programs.