Buffalo media killing Lynch....

Buftex

I'm in Indianapolis. High temp is supposed to be 27 tomorrow. I stand no chance in my fleece.

But 92 degrees and 94 percent humidity is no way to enjoy a summer.

I was going to ask you if you were in Naptown yet. But since the combine started today, it's a little late for that question, I suppose.

Agree completely about the Florida summer, and that's without the hurricanes. The only hurricane I want anything to do with comes in a glass.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sit tight for now. We should know a lot more in 48 hours. And I'm hearing the info won't improve Lynch's outlook.

Nice to see you come by.

Sit tight ? For 48 hours ?? We are judge, jury and executioners at internet speed. Though, till now, Lynch looks to be trying sincerely to make our job so much easier.

Hey, I've taken a few runs at Sully in my time, too ... but it bothers me when people start talking about the "filth that infests Buffalo's media." Filth? Infests? Really, Ramius? This ain't the Weekly World News paparazzi chasing down celebutantes and photoshopping Batboy. (Full disclosure: while I do occasionally correspond with some of the people at the News, it's not like I'm close friends with anyone there. I'm not judging this on a personal level.)

And DrDank, while I won't deny the fact that there's certainly some ego involved in writing -- yeah, it fuggin' rocked to see my first Page 1 byline, and you'd better believe I grabbed a few extra copies that week -- you might be overplaying that theme. Again, just my opinion.

You'd BETTER have a ego if you put your words into column format and expect a couple hundred thousand people to give a crap what you think, but I still think the majority of writers get into the business simply because they enjoy telling stories for a living.

Because it sure isn't for the easy hours and high pay ...

What????

How did you pay for that yacht and house on the lake? The ferrarri in the garage as well?

Somebody needs to write a NFL conduct policy handbook for dummies.

Helpful hints like.

Smoke your dope at home and not in a parking lot.

If you do smoke dope in a parking lot before leaving the house remove all firearms from your trunk.

When arrested.. Dont not proclaim your Ko Simpson and you are worth millions. You may be Ko Simpson but you are not worth millions.

When out with a buddy at a nightclub and carrying a firearm. Do not shoot yourself in the thigh...

When throwing a hot tub party for underage girls.. Check all parties for cameras....

When driving drunk in downtown Buffalo be on the lookout for drunk Canadian chicks.

When you are a NFL Probowl running back.. You no longer need to bring your own liquor into the club. You can officially afford to buy your own drinks.

Hey, I've taken a few runs at Sully in my time, too ... but it bothers me when people start talking about the "filth that infests Buffalo's media." Filth? Infests? Really, Ramius? This ain't the Weekly World News paparazzi chasing down celebutantes and photoshopping Batboy. (Full disclosure: while I do occasionally correspond with some of the people at the News, it's not like I'm close friends with anyone there. I'm not judging this on a personal level.)

And DrDank, while I won't deny the fact that there's certainly some ego involved in writing -- yeah, it fuggin' rocked to see my first Page 1 byline, and you'd better believe I grabbed a few extra copies that week -- you might be overplaying that theme. Again, just my opinion.

You'd BETTER have a ego if you put your words into column format and expect a couple hundred thousand people to give a crap what you think, but I still think the majority of writers get into the business simply because they enjoy telling stories for a living.

Because it sure isn't for the easy hours and high pay ...

There are some good Buffalo writers. I like Gaughn, Wilson, Graham :lol:, Pollock and some of the guys you mentioned. But the overwhelming negativity and mob mentality that seems in infiltrate the Buffalo Sports media is ridiculous, be it the Bills or the Sabres. As an out of towner, i rely on the local Buffalo media to give me the most inside info about any situation regarding our sports teams. I want information and some insight. I want someone to address the situation like an adult and be able to discuss it, not simply engage in an assault on a particular player that they dont like or personally have a grudge against.

There's enough of the immature, negative, trash everything and everyone mentality on the boards. I expect it from here. I don't expect it from the local sports media. Lynch has made some very stupid and bad decisions over the past year. But from the sports media, i expect a little more thought and insight. Its very possible to write a scathing article regarding Lynch and his behavior and question his future here without resorting to, "he's a punk ass thug who should be cut right away." A good number of media personalities seem to be most concerned with generating controversy than they do with churning out good work. Perhaps i expect to much from supposed "professionals."

I mentioned this on here once before- when I was in KC tailgating for Bills-Chiefs this year, we were parked right next to Derek Fine's family and I was talking to his brother for awhile and he said that when Derek first got to Buffalo, Marshawn was the nicest and most welcoming player on the team and at that point in the season, he was still his favorite guy on the team. I don't know what that's worth? Probably not much.

I could not care less what players do during the off seasons as long as they are on the field for opening day. If they get in enough trouble to get suspended for even one game, THEN and only then do I get pissed at them. Anyone saying we should get rid of Lynch is and idiot. If every team got rid of every player with legal issues there wouldn't be enough players to put together a game let alone a league.

These players are treated like superhumans from a young age, contantly pampered, given special and preferential treatment. Why is anyone surprised when they get to the NFL and go from (often times) poverty to having millions, that they make bad decisions and are unaware of how normal people live and function in society? There is no doubt NFL players are groomed to think and act like they are above and more privilaged than the average person. Why do we then villify them when they simply continue with this mind set in their professional careers?

I mentioned this on here once before- when I was in KC tailgating for Bills-Chiefs this year, we were parked right next to Derek Fine's family and I was talking to his brother for awhile and he said that when Derek first got to Buffalo, Marshawn was the nicest and most welcoming player on the team and at that point in the season, he was still his favorite guy on the team. I don't know what that's worth? Probably not much.

No, I think that's definitely worth something, especially for a 22 year old kid. Heck, you can tell Marshawn is an alright guy just from watching the way he interacts with his teammates on the sidelines. If I had one suggestion for Marshawn, it would be to find some higher quality people to hang out with. Actually, if I had ONE suggestion, it would be to get his weapons licensed. It isn't hard.

No, I think that's definitely worth something, especially for a 22 year old kid. Heck, you can tell Marshawn is an alright guy just from watching the way he interacts with his teammates on the sidelines. If I had one suggestion for Marshawn, it would be to find some higher quality people to hang out with. Actually, if I had ONE suggestion, it would be to get his weapons licensed. It isn't hard.

it will be now.

Why? What else did they allegedly find that they couldn't be bothered charging him with?

I wrote it wouldn't improve his outlook. I didn't say it would get worse.

There doesn't appear to be a significant piece of unreported info out there that will save him.

There are some good Buffalo writers. I like Gaughn, Wilson, Graham <_<, Pollock and some of the guys you mentioned. But the overwhelming negativity and mob mentality that seems in infiltrate the Buffalo Sports media is ridiculous, be it the Bills or the Sabres. As an out of towner, i rely on the local Buffalo media to give me the most inside info about any situation regarding our sports teams. I want information and some insight. I want someone to address the situation like an adult and be able to discuss it, not simply engage in an assault on a particular player that they dont like or personally have a grudge against.

There's enough of the immature, negative, trash everything and everyone mentality on the boards. I expect it from here. I don't expect it from the local sports media. Lynch has made some very stupid and bad decisions over the past year. But from the sports media, i expect a little more thought and insight. Its very possible to write a scathing article regarding Lynch and his behavior and question his future here without resorting to, "he's a punk ass thug who should be cut right away." A good number of media personalities seem to be most concerned with generating controversy than they do with churning out good work. Perhaps i expect to much from supposed "professionals."

Here's the kicker from Sully's column, which didn't seem all that incendiary to me:

Lynch might be suspended for the first four games of the season. At that point, the Bills might start to wonder if he’s worth all the trouble. Maybe if that happens, he’ll finally wake up and realize he has to change his behavior.

If not, the people of Buffalo will make the very judgment that Delisa Lynch feared: That her son’s a punk.

Is he calling Lynch a punk? No. He's suggesting that if the kid doesn't change his behavior, the people of Buffalo will be the ones applying that label. Based on the reaction both here and on the BuffNews sports blogs, some already are -- and worse -- and I don't think it's because Sully told them to.

Heck, that's not even the harshest analysis I've seen. Sal Maiorana is the one REALLY taking some batting-practice swings over at Three-Point Stance, saying that Lynch is "clearly an idiot" and following with this:

I’m going to wait until all the facts are hashed out before I render a verdict, but I will say this: Lynch seemed to me to be a punk when he first arrived in Buffalo in 2007, that suspicion looked on the money following the hit-and-run incident, and I’m sure not changing my mind after this. The Bills need to get Fred Jackson - who is a restricted free agent - signed, and they may have to pick a running back in the upcoming draft because Lynch is starting to look like a problem child who may not be fixable.

What do *I* think? I think Lynch is a hard-working player, and I'm not surprised his teammates love him. I also think he's still a 22-year-old kid who doesn't have anyone -- or has the wrong people, perhaps -- advising him. Don't care whether smoking a little weed or carrying an unregistered gun should or shouldn't be illegal. Fact is, they are, and his actions created a bad situation. His fault, nobody else's. Not the cops for arresting him, not the media for reporting or analyzing the news. Just like the Chippewa "incident," this one's on him ... and if he wants to keep playing in the NFL, he'd best make some adjustments to his lifestyle.

And for what it's worth, here's what Chuck had to say last summer: Lynch fiasco only getting worse

Except for the handful of talk radio knuckleheads who have actually suggested the victim staged the whole incident as a money grab, most Bills’ fans have assessed Lynch as an insensitive thug with an outsized sense of entitlement.

Lucky guess.

I saw the first take, and that was cleaned up for the paper, believe me. Chuck has been under the weather lately and hasn't yet weighed in on the latest incident, but I can't imagine his opinion of Lynch has improved since he wrote that ...

Sit tight for now. We should know a lot more in 48 hours. And I'm hearing the info won't improve Lynch's outlook.

Thanks. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very nervous. I love the guy, he plays so hard. I know he's quite young and handling all the fame and fortune can't be easy, but I don't want to see him throw away his career. We seem to have sort of a revolving door policy when it comes to RBs. I'll be hitting the refesh button frequently on espn.com, looking for updates. Thanks again Tim.

So, listening to GR, both Jerry Sullivan, and Paul Hamilton claimed to be "not surprised" by the latest Marshawn Lynch news. I know most here hate both of these guys (or at least Sullivan, I don't), and this isn't really about them. But both said that Marshawn was a "bad guy". Hamilton just says the Bills should get rid of him, because it isn't going to get better. Sullivan suspects that Ralph doesn't care all that much, as long as the guy can play. He said Ralph probably isn't crazy about it, but he won't do anything beyond what the leauge requires. Sullivan, who claims to have communication with Ralph (and I don't doubt him) and says Ralph never liked McGahee. It wasn't that his off the field stuff bothered him (Ralph never addressed the anti-Buffalo comments), he just didn't like him as a football player. Sullivan said Ralph must be saying to himself "Okay, my last running back wanted to move the team to Toronto, the one before was a coke head, and the greatest one murdered his wife. This makes Thurman look like an angel... I can live with a gun charge..."

What struck me about this, was that I don't think I have ever seen/heard any Buffalo media people judge any player so definitively, while he was playing... I think it is going to be ugly.

thats why i got Sirius radio. i was a 24/7 listener to GR for the last 20 years. i couldnt take it any more. i absolutely hate the bull dog and that arrogant schoop. sullivan is sullivan another holier than thou guy. i used to like Hamilton but he turned into an as-hole too he thinks far to much of himself and i dont think he knows jack when it comes to football..

i absolutely hate that station now and couldnt listen to it for 1 minute without my blood pressure spiking so i haven't listened for over a year now.

Somebody needs to write a NFL conduct policy handbook for dummies.

Helpful hints like.

Smoke your dope at home and not in a parking lot.

If you do smoke dope in a parking lot before leaving the house remove all firearms from your trunk.

When arrested.. Dont not proclaim your Ko Simpson and you are worth millions. You may be Ko Simpson but you are not worth millions.

When out with a buddy at a nightclub and carrying a firearm. Do not shoot yourself in the thigh...

When throwing a hot tub party for underage girls.. Check all parties for cameras....

When driving drunk in downtown Buffalo be on the lookout for drunk Canadian chicks.

When you are a NFL Probowl running back.. You no longer need to bring your own liquor into the club. You can officially afford to buy your own drinks.

the problem is, your book only has 7 rules, and there is an infinite number of stupid things these a-hols can dream up to do. your handbook will be obsolete before it is off the presses.

There are some good Buffalo writers. I like Gaughn, Wilson, Graham :beer:, Pollock and some of the guys you mentioned. But the overwhelming negativity and mob mentality that seems in infiltrate the Buffalo Sports media is ridiculous, be it the Bills or the Sabres. As an out of towner, i rely on the local Buffalo media to give me the most inside info about any situation regarding our sports teams. I want information and some insight. I want someone to address the situation like an adult and be able to discuss it, not simply engage in an assault on a particular player that they dont like or personally have a grudge against.

Oooh, you won't like what Chuck wrote for today, then. It's not online yet, but here's the lede:

Are you getting tired of Marshawn Lynch? Me too.

At what point is he not worth the trouble for the Bills, especially with high-character Fred Jackson chafing to be Buffalo's feature running back?

His latest dust-up with the law makes it three times in as many years that Lynch has run afoul of the legal system.

That's not exactly "Pacman" Jones' pace -- though it's headed there -- but mostly it speaks poorly of his decision-making and sense of responsibility.

If/when it goes on the OTH website, you'll find it under the hed, "Bills' Lynch comes off as a street punk." And just a wild guess here, but I don't think Mr. Pollock gives a rat's patoot about "generating controversy." He's just telling you what he thinks, and polite, flowery language has never been his style.

Now we're talking about him running over mailboxes and carrying his own booze into bars (well, again on that one)? This is ridiculous. You've got two jokes lumped together with two serious offenses. If you want to make a case about Lynch having poor judgment I suggest leaving off the first two.

Sorry but none of them are a joke.....that mailbox could of been a person. And for the booze into a bar and couple that with the pot and it starts to sound like this guy has a dependency problem. I wonder why he drove away the morning he hit that woman? I would tend to think a sober person stays on the scene. Just offering a different point of view. If he keeps this immaturity and lack of self control up he will be another good player out of an NFL career.