Rob Johnson Trade

Check my math here:

Todd Collins: 2nd round pick

Rob Johnson: 1st and 4th + big contract

Doug Flutie: Big contract

Drew Bledsoe: 1st round pick + big contract

JP Losman: 1st round pick + 2nd round pick + 5th round pick

So that's 3 firsts, two seconds, a fourth, and a fifth, plus three big contracts on the QB position in the now 15 years of the post-Kelly era.

And nothing to show for it but a 3rd round prospect starting.

Your math is just fine, but the situation is even more alarming.

Since 1990, the Bills have had 18 first round draft choices. A whopping 8 of them were defensive backs. Of those 8, 4 of left as ufas while in their prime. Two are still here; their contracts are not up yet.

Of the 10 non-defensive backs, 2 of them (Flowers and Mike Williams) were flat out awful. Fina was decent for a time, but then he too was a terrible player. MaGahee was an insane pick because the team was soft and had to wait more than a full season for him to play at all. A. Smith was OK. Evans seems like a good pick. So does Lynch, although serious questions have arisen about his conduct. I am going to call Moulds and Ruben Brown great selections. They were drafted in 96 and 97.

So, there you have it. In 18 drafts, the Bills took in the first round:

1 Defensive Tackles who sucked

1 Defensive End who sucked

3 Blockers...1 very good, 1 marginal at best, and 1 who sucked

It is clear where the focus has been, and has NOT been. I wonder what Dick Levy has in store for us in April.

Since 1990, the Bills have had 18 first round draft choices. A whopping 8 of them were defensive backs. Of those 8, 4 of left as ufas while in their prime. Two are still here; their contracts are not up yet.

Of the 10 non-defensive backs, 2 of them (Flowers and Mike Williams) were flat out awful. Fina was decent for a time, but then he too was a terrible player. MaGahee was an insane pick because the team was soft and had to wait more than a full season for him to play at all. A. Smith was OK. Evans seems like a good pick. So does Lynch, although serious questions have arisen about his conduct. I am going to call Moulds and Ruben Brown great selections. They were drafted in 96 and 97.

It is clear where the focus has been, and has NOT been. I wonder what Dick Levy has in store for us in April.

The titans have selected 4 first round DBs in the last 8 drafts. 3 of them are no longer with the team. There's a bit more to drafting and team success than simply, "dont take DBs."

And what the Bills did in the early 90's has no bearing on today's team. That team drafted 1st round DBs because they needed good DBs. The Wade Phillips teams had good defenses, but needed good DBs. That's why we drafted them.

The titans have selected 4 first round DBs in the last 8 drafts. 3 of them are no longer with the team. There's a bit more to drafting and team success than simply, "dont take DBs."

And what the Bills did in the early 90's has no bearing on today's team. That team drafted 1st round DBs because they needed good DBs. The Wade Phillips teams had good defenses, but needed good DBs. That's why we drafted them.

How many were drafted while Wade was here in the first round?

It still hurts, but just one of many moves made by Ralphie Boy's front office over the years. Others include:

1. Trading all those picks for right to draft J.P.

2. Letting Pat Williams go

3. How about Mike Williams with the 4th overall pick-nice one.

4. Then there is a first round pick for Eric Flowers.

5. First round pick for Bledsoe-not as bad as some, but still overpaid for him.

6. Trading up for McCargo?

7. Walt Patulski with first overall I believe.

I could probably go on and on, but I think my point has been made.

I agree with most of your post, but I can't consider Moulds, Ruben Brown, Fina or A. Smith bad picks. Moulds and Brown had multiple Pro Bowls, Fina held down the most important position on the O-Line for quite a few years (mostly playoff years) and A. Smith had multiple 1,000 yard seasons, and would have stuck around longer but the team drafted T. Henry.

How many were drafted while Wade was here in the first round?

1, antoine winfield.

I do find it interesting that you pick and choose your data to fit your crusade. Because i can tweak your parameters and i can show the Bills have only drafted 4 DBs in last 13 years in round 1, which is far from excessive. Probably right in line with the league average.

Check my math here:

Todd Collins: 2nd round pick

Rob Johnson: 1st and 4th + big contract

Doug Flutie: Big contract

Drew Bledsoe: 1st round pick + big contract

JP Losman: 1st round pick + 2nd round pick + 5th round pick

So that's 3 firsts, two seconds, a fourth, and a fifth, plus three big contracts on the QB position in the now 15 years of the post-Kelly era.

And nothing to show for it but a 3rd round prospect starting.

Pretty good recollection, but you forgot one. That would be Billy Joe Holbert, whom Butler gave the Raiders a 3rd round pick to acquire. He didn't even make it through a single season before Marv cut him for admitting that he didn't read his playbook.

You know, the more I look back, the less I think of Butler (RIP) as a GM.

Fred Taylor got cut today by the Jaguars. You guys might not remember, but Taylor was selected with the draft choice we gave to the Jaguars for Rob Johnson. They drafted a franchise rb, we got several years of frustration. He sure did look good in the one game he started for the Jaguars.

I will let it pass....During that period of time....# of Super Bowls WON: Bills - 0, Jacksonville - 0

Dillon had some incredible years running for the Bungals. He was such a fantastic RB in his hey-day.

Dillon was clearly the better player on the field, but he was a very high character risk coming out of college. Smith was a relative choir boy which allowed him to move way up and eventually jump Dillon in the offseason pre-draft process.