A Realistic Draft Day Trade Scenario

H2o

They are going to be looking to get OL almost certainly. There are some GOOD OT prospects that will be coming off of the board very early. This was a comment from Mike Mayock from The NFL Network, "That offensive line, bottom line they’ve got to get some youth infused in there, especially at the tackle position. What’s sitting there in the early 20s at tackle will be very interesting.” What about what's sitting there at #11? If one of the top 4 guys fall to our slot at #11 our phone could be ringing because of the Eagles. Andre Smith, Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, or Michael Oher could be too tempting for them to pass up. Using the draft points chart, http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_...value_chart.htm I've got something that makes sense. We trade them the #11 pick for their #21 and #28 picks in the first. Our pick is slotted to be worth 1,250 points, the #21 and #28 pick are worth a combined 1,460 points. We would then swap 2nd and 3rd round choices to make the trade even. Giving them the 43rd and 75th while we get the 52nd and 83rd. We then could take Michael Johnson @ #21 and the best player available at a position of need @ #28, maybe Clint Sintim(LB, UVA), Percy Harvin(WR, Florida), or Duke Robinson(OG, Oklahoma). It would definitely work out well for us.

Sorry, had to edit. I had them at #20 and #28 when it's actually #21 and #28. Sorry :w00t:

They are going to be looking to get OL almost certainly. There are some GOOD OT prospects that will be coming off of the board very early. This was a comment from Mike Mayock from The NFL Network, "That offensive line, bottom line they’ve got to get some youth infused in there, especially at the tackle position. What’s sitting there in the early 20s at tackle will be very interesting.” What about what's sitting there at #11? If one of the top 4 guys fall to our slot at #11 our phone could be ringing because of the Eagles. Andre Smith, Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, or Michael Oher could be too tempting for them to pass up. Using the draft points chart, http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_...value_chart.htm I've got something that makes sense. We trade them the #11 pick for their #20 and #28 picks in the first. Our pick is slotted to be worth 1,250 points, the #20 and #28 pick are worth a combined 1,510 points. We would then swap 2nd and 3rd round choices to make the trade even. Giving them the 43rd and 75th while we get the 52nd and 83rd. We then could take Michael Johnson @ #20 and the best player available at a position of need @ #28, maybe Clint Sintim(LB, UVA), Percy Harvin(WR, Florida), or Duke Robinson(OG, Oklahoma). It would definitely work out well for us.

I like the move... unless someone like Raji is there at 11

Just excellent work H2o! Thanks for the effort and thought process. Impossible to have too many intelligent, well-researched posts on this message board.

I like the trade proposal. It works on the trade value chart so it's actually something that could happen in the real world.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

Like JJBuffalo also suggests it depends on who's sitting there when our turn comes up and it would be tough to pass up Raji. Also, I'm not a big Johnson fan but the framework of the deal makes a lot of sense.

A lot of people have advocated for trading down for extra picks. Thanks for actually providing a plausible scenario.

They are going to be looking to get OL almost certainly. There are some GOOD OT prospects that will be coming off of the board very early. This was a comment from Mike Mayock from The NFL Network, "That offensive line, bottom line they’ve got to get some youth infused in there, especially at the tackle position. What’s sitting there in the early 20s at tackle will be very interesting.” What about what's sitting there at #11? If one of the top 4 guys fall to our slot at #11 our phone could be ringing because of the Eagles. Andre Smith, Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, or Michael Oher could be too tempting for them to pass up. Using the draft points chart, http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_...value_chart.htm I've got something that makes sense. We trade them the #11 pick for their #21 and #28 picks in the first. Our pick is slotted to be worth 1,250 points, the #21 and #28 pick are worth a combined 1,460 points. We would then swap 2nd and 3rd round choices to make the trade even. Giving them the 43rd and 75th while we get the 52nd and 83rd. We then could take Michael Johnson @ #21 and the best player available at a position of need @ #28, maybe Clint Sintim(LB, UVA), Percy Harvin(WR, Florida), or Duke Robinson(OG, Oklahoma). It would definitely work out well for us.

Sorry, had to edit. I had them at #20 and #28 when it's actually #21 and #28. Sorry :w00t:

i would trade down in a millisecond however it is very difficult to do. if we were fortunate enough to trade down then taking the TE or the center would be great value. even a DE because i dont believe there are any DE prospects worthy of #11 because they dont fit our scheme.

Or with that #21 pick we could take Pettigrew, if he's thought of that highly. It's also conceivable our DE could fall to us at the #28 pick and we could take Larry English. Now I've seen mocks that have him going to Chicago and some not having him in the 1st at all. He would be a great player to get @ #28. Our only stumbling block would be who the Patsies select. They could take English and try to make the guy an OLB. If they did that then Brian Cushing just may fall into our lap. Either way, we get the consensus best TE in the draft and a DE or OLB in round 1. Round 2 we could take Robert Ayers if we take Cushing in Round 1 or we could take Ziggy Hood(DT, Missouri) if English falls to us. Round 3 we could then take Eric Wood(C, Louisville). Best case scenario IMO would be Pettigrew, Cushing, Ayers, and Wood. Our draft would be SOLID on those three rounds alone regardless of who we got the rest of the way. In the 4th take Augustus Parrish(OT, Kent St.), in the 5th take C.J. Davis(OG, Pitt), in the 6th take Jamarko Simmons(WR, Western Mich.), and in the 7th take Travis McCall(FB, Alabama). That would give us a draft of:

1a. Brandon Pettigrew (TE,Ok. St.)

1b. Brian Cushing (OLB, USC)

2. Robert Ayers (DE, Tenn.)

3. Eric Wood (C, Louis.)

4. Augustus Parrish (OT, Kent St.)

5. C.J. Davis (OG, Pitt)

6. Jamarko Simmons (WR, Western Mich.)

7. Travis McCall (FB, Alabama)

We'd be praised for our draft for once, by the "Draft Experts" anyway :w00t:

Yes, the reports that I've read say that Raji would be outstanding in any scheme. That's why his value is so high.

Peria Jerry is a good fit for the Bills style-wise (one-gap attacker) but I would bet that most (would-be Bills') GMs would take Raji at #11, even if we were assured of Jerry at #43.

In thar scenerio I would draft #21 TE Brandon Pettigrew and #28 C Alex Mack. Second round choice would be Robert Ayers DE.

If it were to play out that way and we didnt get a Center or TE through Free Agency, This is what I would do as well.

I love it. I'm a big fan of moving down. Picking up extra picks within the first three rounds is huge.

This trade would allow us to take the top DE prospect left (Johnson or English) and then I'd like us to grab OG Duke Robinson. He looks like a stud and bringing him in would allow us to let Dockery go and open up some cap room. Then we can grab the top OLB prospect left (Matthews or Sintim) in the 2nd then go C in the 3rd (Wood or Caldwell).

All of a sudden the Bills have filled all their needs with some exciting prospects.

I don't believe I want Mack after I heard how he was getting handled at the Senior Bowl practices, by everyone basically.

H20

that was not the lowdown on Mack for the Senior Bowl Practices, He was the consensus Best all around Center Hands down by most of the Draft gurus during the Senior Bowl. If you look back at some of the threads, you'll see the commentary. In some of those commentary's, they said that the only center that was able to handle Raji on at least some plays was Mack.

Raji would play well in a 2-4 defense if there was one.

The guy will play well in any defensive scheme.

kind of like knight telling someone to play jordan at center until they found one? players play no matter what the scheme. sure some are adapted to certain styles better than others, but tell me bruce smith, ray lewis, reggie white, or lawrence taylor would have been busts in the wrong scheme.

H20

that was not the lowdown on Mack for the Senior Bowl Practices, He was the consensus Best all around Center Hands down by most of the Draft gurus during the Senior Bowl. If you look back at some of the threads, you'll see the commentary. In some of those commentary's, they said that the only center that was able to handle Raji on at least some plays was Mack.

I checked back and they said he struggled at times with Raji then it said "but who didn't struggle against Raji at times". I'm sorry, I seem to have gotten him confused with Max Unger. Alex Mack, Max Unger, what can I say? Unger seemed to have gotten abused by a few of the DT's. I read where it said that Mack separated himself from the rest of the pack for the most part. I wouldn't be destroyed if we take him. We just need a REALLY GOOD Center that can handle all these big NT's we face.

Here's my draft in that scenario:

21-Aaron Maybin OLB Penn State

28-Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech

53-Jonathan Luigs OC Arkansas

85-Travis Beckum TE Wisconsin

107-Nic Harris SS Oklahoma

139-Corvey Irvin DT Georgia

170-Gartrell Johnson RB Colorado State

202-Maurice Evans DE Penn State

Draft using DraftTek's Online Simulator www.DraftTek.com

Here's my draft in that scenario:

21-Aaron Maybin OLB Penn State

28-Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech

53-Jonathan Luigs OC Arkansas

85-Travis Beckum TE Wisconsin

107-Nic Harris SS Oklahoma

139-Corvey Irvin DT Georgia

170-Gartrell Johnson RB Colorado State

202-Maurice Evans DE Penn State

Draft using DraftTek's Online Simulator www.DraftTek.com

Astrobot, do you have any thoughts on a safety from N.C named Trimane Goddard?

I've seen the guy play alot being in VA. We get almost all of the Maryland, UVA, VT, UNC, and NC State games in our "region". I know the guy is good in coverage. He had 7 picks and 5 more deflections. Some say he isn't going to time that well in the 40 and he's not as agile as other prospects, but he obviously makes plays. I know he had a key pass break-up against my team, ND, in the last couple minutes of the 4th quarter that cost us what would've been a first down to keep the drive going.

We need a centre. If we trade down, we have to go for it. I know Mack's going around there most likely, not sure if Max Unger or any of the others would fit in there.

Buffalo needs a lot of things right now. Mack is the popular pick because he's received a lot of attention, especially with excellent play at the Senior Bowl.

Of all the years to add a good center, this may be the best one in a while. In UFA there's Brown, Birk, and Saturday. All three will command a large contract which makes me think Buffalo will look to the draft. The front runners there are of course Mack, but also Eric Wood, Max Unger, and A.Q. Shipley. Unger seems best suited to a dedicated zone blocking scheme, but I think Mack fits best for the Bills in the long run.

I believe Buffalo looks to the draft for a center because they've got so much money wrapped up in the OL. They've thrown money at their problems and it doesn't work. I would hope by now they've learned their lesson.

I've seen the guy play alot being in VA. We get almost all of the Maryland, UVA, VT, UNC, and NC State games in our "region". I know the guy is good in coverage. He had 7 picks and 5 more deflections. Some say he isn't going to time that well in the 40 and he's not as agile as other prospects, but he obviously makes plays. I know he had a key pass break-up against my team, ND, in the last couple minutes of the 4th quarter that cost us what would've been a first down to keep the drive going.

Your spot on H20. He most likely is not going to post a good 40 time and that is why he probably won't be a high pick. I've been a UNC Chapel fan all my life, and I saw the TarHeels play every game this year but 2. He may not post the fastest 40, but all he does is make plays. He was the leader of their defense, seemed to always be around the ball, and if he may be available late in the draft and I wouldnt mind drafting a safety that makes int's.

Sorry, had to edit. I had them at #20 and #28 when it's actually #21 and #28. Sorry ;)

you dont have to be exact when calculating these trades, the Bills first for their two firsts is pretty close, if they are desperate enough it might work out...teams in the 20's usually have to overspend to move up that far

the Eagles do need help on the Oline with both their tackles aging (Runyan is a free agent) and who knows whats going on with Shawn Andrews...thats 3 question marks on their starting Oline

Here we go with the ridiculous "trade chart" crap.

Well ans...there's two options available to those who want to propose hypothetical draft day trades.

The first option is to use the draft trade chart that all the NFL teams use as a starting point.

The second option is to not use it. This is a great option for enabling posters to propose delusional fantasy scenarios that they dreamed of the night before while falling asleep with with the latest issue of Pro Football Weekly cradled in their hands.

Which option are you calling ridiculous? The real world option used by intelligent people or the one used by uninformed and delusional fans?

you dont have to be exact when calculating these trades, the Bills first for their two firsts is pretty close, if they are desperate enough it might work out...teams in the 20's usually have to overspend to move up that far

the Eagles do need help on the Oline with both their tackles aging (Runyan is a free agent) and who knows whats going on with Shawn Andrews...thats 3 question marks on their starting Oline

I agree...

heres my draft for this scenario:

1a - Brian Cushing OLB

1b - Alex Mack C

2 - Robert Ayers DE

3 - Chase Coffman TE

4 - Alex Magee DT

5 - Troy Nolan SS/FS

6 - Travis McCall FB

7 - Drew Willy QB

Astrobot, do you have any thoughts on a safety from N.C named Trimane Goddard?

The only thing I have is he was Player of the Week in that Miami-UNC game where he forced a fumble on the last play of the game. Tarheels won, 28-24. Have to like game-changers.

I agree...

heres my draft for this scenario:

1a - Brian Cushing OLB

1b - Alex Mack C

2 - Robert Ayers DE

3 - Chase Coffman TE

4 - Alex Magee DT

5 - Troy Nolan SS/FS

6 - Travis McCall FB

7 - Drew Willy QB

Awesome draft. I don't have much on Troy Nolan. What do you know about him? Would he be FS or SS?

Awesome draft. I don't have much on Troy Nolan. What do you know about him? Would he be FS or SS?

He can play either position. He makes plays as evidenced by his 5 TD's(4 INT's and 1 FR) in 2 seasons on defense at Arizona St. He was a Juco transfer. He had 10 INT's in his 2 years at ASU. He's also started 25 straight games after being redshrited in '06.

1a - Brian Cushing OLB

Blurb about Cushing:

By Rob Rang, Senior Analyst, NFLDraftScout.com 2/11/09:

..."By most accounts Cushing was among the more impressive linebackers throughout the week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Rather than focusing on his athleticism and instincts on the field, however, scouts in the stands were buzzing about reports that Cushing spends thousands of dollars a month on nutritional supplements. While no one is claiming Cushing's supplements should be confused with illegal steroids, it does raise questions about how maxed out Cushing might be -- questions that could push the All-American down the board considering the top-end talent this year at linebacker."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/risersandfallers

what do they mean by "maxed out" ?...are they implying that hes only good cuz hes "kinda taking drugs"?...obviously I dont know the facts but could it be hes just trying to take care of his body?...not all suplements are bad for you...If you take vitamins thats a suplement...just wondering what they mean by "maxed out"

what do they mean by "maxed out" ?...are they implying that hes only good cuz hes "kinda taking drugs"?...obviously I dont know the facts but could it be hes just trying to take care of his body?...not all suplements are bad for you...If you take vitamins thats a suplement...just wondering what they mean by "maxed out"

Dunno. But if there's truth to him spending big bux on supplements, the implication is that he needs them to get to a size that makes him considered as a draft choice.

If he is doing so, he has other worries to tend to...now and in his future, IMO.

In thar scenerio I would draft #21 TE Brandon Pettigrew and #28 C Alex Mack. Second round choice would be Robert Ayers DE.

If you want Mack you will have to get him before Miami who drafts at 25 or 26. So you need to take him at 21. Pettigrew might still be there at 28. There are tight ends that are better receivers than Pettigrew but not as good all around football players. If you do miss on Pettigrew you could still get a number of good tight ends. There is no excuse for the Bills not finding help there this year.

Or with that #21 pick we could take Pettigrew, if he's thought of that highly. It's also conceivable our DE could fall to us at the #28 pick and we could take Larry English. Now I've seen mocks that have him going to Chicago and some not having him in the 1st at all. He would be a great player to get @ #28. Our only stumbling block would be who the Patsies select. They could take English and try to make the guy an OLB. If they did that then Brian Cushing just may fall into our lap. Either way, we get the consensus best TE in the draft and a DE or OLB in round 1. Round 2 we could take Robert Ayers if we take Cushing in Round 1 or we could take Ziggy Hood(DT, Missouri) if English falls to us. Round 3 we could then take Eric Wood(C, Louisville). Best case scenario IMO would be Pettigrew, Cushing, Ayers, and Wood. Our draft would be SOLID on those three rounds alone regardless of who we got the rest of the way. In the 4th take Augustus Parrish(OT, Kent St.), in the 5th take C.J. Davis(OG, Pitt), in the 6th take Jamarko Simmons(WR, Western Mich.), and in the 7th take Travis McCall(FB, Alabama). That would give us a draft of:

1a. Brandon Pettigrew (TE,Ok. St.)

1b. Brian Cushing (OLB, USC)

2. Robert Ayers (DE, Tenn.)

3. Eric Wood (C, Louis.)

4. Augustus Parrish (OT, Kent St.)

5. C.J. Davis (OG, Pitt)

6. Jamarko Simmons (WR, Western Mich.)

7. Travis McCall (FB, Alabama)

We'd be praised for our draft for once, by the "Draft Experts" anyway <_<

Sign me up for that any day of the week...Cushing, Ayers, and Wood in those spots would all be great picks.