Kiper likes Cassell over Stafford and Sanchez

Willis990

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look what Cassell had around him. He had Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Faulk, Watson, the New England OL, and a system in place that he's been in for 4 years behind one of the best QB's in the game. He already knew the offense inside and out. Yes he still has to step in and perform, but it makes it that much easier when you're put in a position to succeed. I'd say he's somewhat of a proven commodity which is more than we can say about Stafford and Sanchez. Worth two 1st Round picks? Heeeeeeck No!!!! But he is worth $14.65 million in NE cap dollars right now.

Cassel has some advantages over any college QB in the draft.

You know he can play in the NFL. He has already done it.

Coached by Bellicheat and staff, mentored by Brady.

Seems to be grounded (hasn't let fame go totally to his head..at least not yet).

Every college QB is a huge question mark, talent not withstanding. Can he adapt to the pro game? Will getting paid go to his head? Can he handle being on his own, in the world, with no restrictions? etc.

Cassel may not end up being better than some of the QBs in the draft, but the risks associated with picking him up, are much lower.

Sure Cassel comes with risks (some people have spoken about previously) but, in the context of being compared to Sanchez and Stafford, I would be shocked if any GM in the league didn't prefer Cassel to any of them rookies.

Seeing as how one of either QB is being projected to go 1st overall, it should surprise no one that that team might rather give up that pick for Cassel instead of taking one of these rookie QB's with the pick.

Where have you been? The Pats traded Bledsoe to the Bills & he was MUCH BETTER than Cassell

No schitt. But, the pats new the Bills were stupid and would take Bledsoe and give em a number one to boot. Not only did the Pats get a number one as compensation for Bledsoe, the Pats knew Bledsoe was a loser and could easily be game planned for and defensed. If the Pats had received a bad jar of peanut butter for Bledsoe, they'd have been ecstatic. Bledsoe moving to the Bills assured the Pats of not only a W, but as well it removed the Bills from being a factor in the divison.

Trust me Cassel is a hell of a lot better than Bledsoe and makes better decisions. He ain't worth two number ones though... and the Pats ain't gonna get that.

Look what Cassell had around him. He had Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Faulk, Watson, the New England OL, and a system in place that he's been in for 4 years behind one of the best QB's in the game. He already knew the offense inside and out. Yes he still has to step in and perform, but it makes it that much easier when you're put in a position to succeed. I'd say he's somewhat of a proven commodity which is more than we can say about Stafford and Sanchez. Worth two 1st Round picks? Heeeeeeck No!!!! But he is worth $14.65 million in NE cap dollars right now.

Exactly.

Isn't this similar to when everyone thought how great Rob Johnson was going to be after he subbed in for the injured Mark Brunnell?

Seems to be grounded (hasn't let fame go totally to his head..at least not yet).

Every college QB is a huge question mark, talent not withstanding. Can he adapt to the pro game? Will getting paid go to his head? Can he handle being on his own, in the world, with no restrictions? etc.

Cassel may not end up being better than some of the QBs in the draft, but the risks associated with picking him up, are much lower.

One of the big problems though with picking up Cassell is his price tag.

he is coveted.

he came off a very good year and showed lots of promise.

he is in a position of desperate need from many teams.

So it's like buying a stock at a high. It's all ready priced in.

Most likely you will have to overpay to get him.

And just like any stock that is high. There is a good chance it will fall from the value that you purchased it at.

No way I would pay 2 first rounders to aquire him. Maybe the Patriots will let him go for less outside of the division, but no way would they give the Jets Cassel for less than 2 first rounders.

No schitt. But, the pats new the Bills were stupid and would take Bledsoe and give em a number one to boot. Not only did the Pats get a number one as compensation for Bledsoe, the Pats knew Bledsoe was a loser and could easily be game planned for and defensed. If the Pats had received a bad jar of peanut butter for Bledsoe, they'd have been ecstatic. Bledsoe moving to the Bills assured the Pats of not only a W, but as well it removed the Bills from being a factor in the divison.

Trust me Cassel is a hell of a lot better than Bledsoe and makes better decisions. He ain't worth two number ones though... and the Pats ain't gonna get that.

TRUST ME Bledsoe is a HELL OF A LOT BETTER than Cassell. Bledsoe has HOF numbers (not that he will get in) Cassell may be a legit starter in the NFL but he has NO NAME as Bledsoe did when the Bills traded for him, & very well may be a ONE YEAR WONDER as Derick Anderson was in 07.

No way I would pay 2 first rounders to aquire him. Maybe the Patriots will let him go for less outside of the division, but no way would they give the Jets Cassel for less than 2 first rounders.

I agree with that. I was simply supporting the idea that Cassel, as a known quantity, has advantages over any draft pick. Now, what is he worth? That is for every team to decide for themselves.

I don't see Cassel going to any team in the AFC east, no matter what, to tell the truth.

Exactly.

Isn't this similar to when everyone thought how great Rob Johnson was going to be after he subbed in for the injured Mark Brunnell?

Not even close. Rojo's reputation came off of one good game which he did not even finish by the way. Cassel's body of work comes from a whole season.

Exactly.

I don't think so. RJ only played in one game for the Jags the season before we got him. :) Cassell had a productive season. ONE damn game with a playoff team transfered into a $25mil contract. :):P;)

TRUST ME Bledsoe is a HELL OF A LOT BETTER than Cassell. Bledsoe has HOF numbers (not that he will get in) Cassell may be a legit starter in the NFL but he has NO NAME as Bledsoe did when the Bills traded for him, & very well may be a ONE YEAR WONDER as Derick Anderson was in 07.

Bledsoe was pretty much shot when he came to Buffalo & the Patriots knew it. Your really comparing apples to oranges here. Bledsoe was at the tail end of his career when he came to Buffalo, Cassel is entering his prime. Now if you want to argue who is going to have the better career, I could buy that Bledsoe's career, at least stats wise will be better, but noway bledsoe was a better qb when he came to buffalo then Cassel is right now.

Yes, put differently there may be fewer risks trading for Cassel. That is an educated guess. As some have suggested there's the talent/system component to evaluating him too.

And the cost would be higher. Multiple picks with at least one #1 and he will sign a contract richer than the rookie QBs (unless those rookies are taken in the top six).

So for teams looking for a QB, it's not a clear cut decision.

The other factor is if you are building for 2-3 years down the line where you can bring along a rookie (Detroit for example) or if you want to win now (Minnesota for example).

Bledsoe was pretty much shot when he came to Buffalo & the Patriots knew it. Your really comparing apples to oranges here. Bledsoe was at the tail end of his career when he came to Buffalo, Cassel is entering his prime. Now if you want to argue who is going to have the better career, I could buy that Bledsoe's career, at least stats wise will be better, but noway bledsoe was a better qb when he came to buffalo then Cassel is right now.

Bledsoe still had a couple GOOD years in him when he came to the Bills, how soon people forget. The problem was the Bills did not have a very good team when he got to Buffalo. NOBODY knows for sure how Cassell will play next year, especially if it is on a different team.