Browns are trying to trade Derek Anderson

bananathumb

You are correct about stats & I have always hated them. I would much rather judge with my own eyes than read stats from a page. I would agree, if traded Andersons contract would have to be reworked. I really don't see any good options for a QB, The most important stat in my opinion is TD's, that is the problem I have with Trent aside from his health issues.

No question that the Bills need improvement from Trent. But to give up on him after 24 games is not how you develop a QB. Starting over -- again -- with some rookie (who will take 3 years) or some other team's wash out is not how to build a playoff team. It's not like there is a Drew Brees out there this year.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question that the Bills need improvement from Trent. But to give up on him after 24 games is not how you develop a QB. Starting over -- again -- with some rookie (who will take 3 years) or some other team's wash out is not how to build a playoff team. It's not like there is a Drew Brees out there this year.

And if you remember, it wasn't until Drew Brees fourth year that he had a succesful year

In his first 33 starts he had a completion average of below %59, he threw for 29 TD's and 31 Int's, had a losing record, averaged less than 200 yards per game passing, had a 71 passer rating, and averaged less than 6 yards per attempt.

I remember, I thought he was going to be a bust, then he blossomed in his fourth year.

I agree & I'm not calling for a replacement for Trent. I think it would be good for the Bills & Trent himself however if the Bills had someone to push Trent for the starters job. Competition brings out the best in people JMO. Unless the Bills have faith in the Chroise, they NEED another QB, I just hope it is someone that can WIN a few games.

Hey, what happened to your reliance on 'facts' and 'stats'? I see you've replaced that with stamping your feet after your premise has been shot to hell. :thumbsup:

Who the hell cares about 'after 24 games'? Isn't the point to see who is the better QB now?? And wouldn't recent stats be the best indicator of that?? Duh.

Unlike you I don't "hang my hat" on individual stats. Unlike you I understand that Anderson was a flash in the pan who has spiraled downward for 2 years and I was able to provide a wide range of stats to prove that (none of which you've attempted to refute -- funny how you were just crowing about this in another thread). To blame his woes on "dropped passes" when he's surrounded by talent like B. Edwards and Winslow is just laughable. But you keep harping on that huge "production" of 14 TDs last year while he finished at or near the bottom of the league in virtually every passing category.

Your crusade is getting old.

One, Braylon is amongst the league leaders in dropped passes and dropped several in the Bills game alone if you watched.

Two, it wasnt a crusade agaisnt Trent, it was to dispell the notion that there couldnt possibly be someone out there that could actually challenge Trent for the job.

Three, how is Derek in a 2 year downward spiral when he only played as a starter for 2 years and his 2007 campaign earned him a huge contract despite them already having a huge amount invested in Quinn?

He clearly isnt in a 2 year downward spiral when he only has 31 games under his belt which isnt even a full 2 years of games...

Four, when you went on to compare your manipulated stats, Derek still bests Trent in most categories, and that is including your famed downward spiral...so even at his worst, he was still putting more points up on the board than Trent.

Bottom line here was not to say one is better than the other, but to show how biased Bills fans are to Trent and how you somehow translate what he MAY be tomorrow into what he has done yesterday. And quite frankly, you can make all the little cute points you want about D. Anderson who has grossly outperformed Trent in almost every major passing category, but none of that changes the LACK of production for Trent...

So, spin it anyway you want to make yourself feel better. Funny thing is, I like Trent, but the moment you highlight his short comings when you analyze why we have struggled, you are labeled a Trent hater and all I am really saying is we will not get better until he does...

I agree & I'm not calling for a replacement for Trent. I think it would be good for the Bills & Trent himself however if the Bills had someone to push Trent for the starters job. Competition brings out the best in people JMO. Unless the Bills have faith in the Chroise, they NEED another QB, I just hope it is someone that can WIN a few games.

THANK YOU, its all I have been saying...its my fault for getting sucked in by Trent lovers...I just get so frustrated when he gets promoted as if he is clearly the second coming of Joe Montanna...the only reason I even got involved in this thread was because I thought Derek would be a good option to come in and give Trent a run for his money...which hopefully would elevate one of their games and give us our QB...

THANK YOU, its all I have been saying...its my fault for getting sucked in by Trent lovers...I just get so frustrated when he gets promoted as if he is clearly the second coming of Joe Montanna...the only reason I even got involved in this thread was because I thought Derek would be a good option to come in and give Trent a run for his money...which hopefully would elevate one of their games and give us our QB...

Contract aside, I don't see anyone available that would be better than Anderson. As you said, he had a bad year but who knows? If the Bills could pry Kellen Jr in the deal all the better. :thumbsup:

...Wow! Isn't it amazing how the picture changes. Fact is that Anderson is a boom or bust player, and the vast majority of his booms took place in the first half of 2007. Almost every one of Anderson's stats regressed in 2008 (why do you guys think he got benched?).

...To suggest that Anderson is worth actually trading for and picking up his contract is simply indefensible.

CLE ball gets shown with regularity here in Cincinnati. So I've seen him in action repeatedly.

I agree with your comments.

He tossed 4 ints in a must-win game in '07 week 16 against CIN. I will say in his defense though - Crennel & Co. called an absolutely horrible game.

Down 6 -0, they had him pass with 1:27 left in the 2nd qtr. Intercepted and run back to the 5. CIN passed for a td.

CLE gets the ball back on their 20 with 0:57 left. Again, they called a pass. Anderson's 1st down pass is picked. CIN gets a td on a 1-yard run.

Amazing. That loss put the knife deep into any playoff chances.

Way too much analysis going on here to the point of nausea....

Alpha, your overall point is actually correct but not necessarily for the statistical reasons you state, many of which are bogus ways to evaluate an individual player and can only be valid if you're discussing a team as a whole, or at least an offensive unit.

Basically , (and look for yourself people) if I'm not mistaken, when Trent plays well , the Bills have won every game in his 2 seasons here. I believe the attempt Chris Brown made was stating that when Trent has an above 80 rating , the Bills haven't lost.

Way too much analysis going on here to the point of nausea....

Alpha, your overall point is actually correct but not necessarily for the statistical reasons you state, many of which are bogus ways to evaluate an individual player and can only be valid if you're discussing a team as a whole, or at least an offensive unit.

Basically , (and look for yourself people) if I'm not mistaken, when Trent plays well , the Bills have won every game in his 2 seasons here. I believe the attempt Chris Brown made was stating that when Trent has an above 80 rating , the Bills haven't lost.

Even if Trent is the 2nd coming of Joe Montana, unless the Bills are SOLD on the Chroise, they will need another QB in 09.

Guest dog14787

Bringing Derek Anderson to Buffalo could possibly divide the Bills locker room in my opinion. Trent Edwards is looked at as the leader of the team and his fellow teammates believe in him. We need to bring in a backup who will be content at the role he is given plus someone having enough experience to help aid in TE's development not hinder it.

Bringing Derek Anderson to Buffalo could possibly divide the Bills locker room in my opinion. Trent Edwards is looked at as the leader of the team and his fellow teammates believe in him. We need to bring in a backup who will be content at the role he is given plus someone having enough experience to help aid in TE's development not hinder it.

If Trent is looked at as the leader of the team & his teammates believe in him, how can ANY other QB the Bills have any hope of bringing in divide the locker room?

If Trent is looked at as the leader of the team & his teammates believe in him, how can ANY other QB the Bills have any hope of bringing in divide the locker room?

Human nature of the business. If one QB struggles in a game, everyone starts to 2nd guess him. There was once a time where people thought Reich might be better than Kelly or Young should replace Montana.

Btw, Anderson is average at best. Great arm but is Bledsoe like in movement. He benefitted from great weapons around him. If you look at the end of his breakout season, teams were already figuring him out. Pass please.

Human nature of the business. If one QB struggles in a game, everyone starts to 2nd guess him. There was once a time where people thought Reich might be better than Kelly or Young should replace Montana.

Btw, Anderson is average at best. Great arm but is Bledsoe like in movement. He benefitted from great weapons around him. If you look at the end of his breakout season, teams were already figuring him out. Pass please.

"Human nature of the business"? Then I guess Trent is not truly the leader with the respect of the players he is purported to be. NOBODY in the Bills LOCKER ROOM thought Reich should start ahead of a HEALTHY Jim Kelly. To want a player on the team to not be capable of pushing the player in front of him at ANY position is just plain STUPID. :w00t:

Guest dog14787
"Human nature of the business"? Then I guess Trent is not truly the leader with the respect of the players he is purported to be. NOBODY in the Bills LOCKER ROOM thought Reich should start ahead of a HEALTHY Jim Kelly. To want a player on the team to not be capable of pushing the player in front of him at ANY position is just plain STUPID. :w00t:

and some would say the same about bringing in a QB that will not be content being a backup to a team who is not looking for a starter.

I like what Derek Anderson brings to the table, just not here in Buffalo, but I will say my confidence in TE has allot to do with my opinion.

no disrespect, but your reaching. You have to admit, you do have an axe to grind with Trent, for what ever reason that may be. I mean give the guy a chance, he hasn't even had 20 full games under his belt, and he has a higher qb rating in his first 20 games then Eli Manning, Aikman, Brees and the list goes on and on.

Back to topic. It is human nature. C Bennet is right about that whether you agree with it or not. If you bring in someone with the percieved high calibur of Derek Anderson ($27Million dollar 3 year contract) then there is no doubt that Management would be showing a lack of faith in Trent Edwards, then just as C Bennett had mentioned rifts would start in the locker room and teammates would be able to see the obvious writing on the wall that management is looking to replace TE or else they wouldn't have made a big signing like Derek Anderson right???

Having said that there is no doubt in my mind that Trent would handle the competion with Derek Anderson with poise, if that were to be the case, and he would win the starting battle.

I know that the Buffalo Bills Brass has made lots of mistakes, but thank god, they are getting one thing right, and that is realizing that Trent Edwards is our franchise qb. I give them lots of props for making that decision quickly, and benching JP as soon as they realized that.

and some would say the same about bringing in a QB that will not be content being a backup to a team who is not looking for a starter.

I like what Derek Anderson brings to the table, just not here in Buffalo, but I will say my confidence in TE has allot to do with my opinion.

Ok, I've read all the respones to my post (some of them very ignorant), but the bottom line seems to be, "don't bring in a capable"back-up, because itm ight cost us something and ratle Trent's chain". I say, piss on that. What do you propose if the Bills actually are in the playoff run and Edwards gets hurt, throw a Charley Batch out there?

Ok, I've read all the respones to my post (some of them very ignorant), but the bottom line seems to be, "don't bring in a capable"back-up, because itm ight cost us something and ratle Trent's chain". I say, piss on that. What do you propose if the Bills actually are in the playoff run and Edwards gets hurt, throw a Charley Batch out there?

I have finally figured it out. There are some people on this board that LOVE Trent so much that they would rather see an inferior QB back him up than some one that is capable because after seeing Charlie Fry get replaced by Derick Anderson get replaced by Brady Quinn, JP get replaced by Trent..............get replaced by............. They are so AFRAID of this possibility because they don't want to have to admit Trent is not Montana after all & there is someone better out there. As I said before it is just STUPID to not want the best players on your team that you can possibly get & if Trent is as good as his fan club thinks, he will have NO WORRY about losing his job to a capable QB & the Bills will have a QB capable of WINNING WHEN Trent gets injured. Any QB that signs with the Bills will know the situation here & as long as the Bills have faith that Trent is their future, a QB coming to Buffalo will KNOW that & will be a good teammate.

Lets compare the first 24 games of D. Anderson's career vs. the first 24 games for Trent's career as thats all he has, and D. Anderson has only 31 games total, but rather than look his totals since he has more games, lets compare the first 24 to Trents first 24...

Why bother?

This has nothing to do with the comparison of TE & DA......and everything to do with how good DA is(or isn't) & how much he would cost. He certainly has not shown himself to be a reliable starter.....just like TE to this point.

Based upon his performances you'd have to be 'taking a chance' on trading for him. He would cost $6.45mil this season & $9.45mil next(with $2mil guaranteed)......and then he is a free agent. If he under-performs then he will be a massively over-paid backup. If he performs well....he'll hit the FA market & likely leave. I can see no sense in the Bills trading for him.

Here's some more numbers for a long thread which is chock full of opinions but lacking in facts:

Derek Anderson's Contract Info:

2/29/2008: Signed a three-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $14.5 million in guarantees, including a $7 million signing bonus. Another $1 million is available through incentives based on Pro Bowls and performance. 2009: $1.45 million (+ $5 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: $7.45 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2011: Free Agent

So Anderson's cap figure with the amortized portion of his signing bonus is $8.78 million in 2009 and $11.78 million in 2010.

Maybe we should start the discussion over again.

Actually......if we traded for him, the initial signing bonus would not carry over to us(they never do). The remainder of the amortized bonus would hit the Browns in one lump.