Bushfire in Australia

Shamrock

Just a quick message to any Bills fans in Oz, hope you and your family are safe and well My folks are in Churchill which is still burning but are safe. Saturday 46 degC! Toll over 100, tragic. Sorry for OT.

hot + dry+ arson....nightmare combinations---we get the same thing in California but usually avoid the large death tollls.....Must have really taken them by surprise.

Just a quick message to any Bills fans in Oz, hope you and your family are safe and well My folks are in Churchill which is still burning but are safe. Saturday 46 degC! Toll over 100, tragic. Sorry for OT.

Me & mine are safe. My brother-in-law lives in Wandong and had to evacuate as the houses over the road were going up. We found out today that his house survived.

It's been absolutely horrific. I run 3 APL(Australian Poker League) Franchises and my regions cover most of the effected areas. Every person I ring or speak to has a new horror story. My staff and a large number of my players have been hit badly by the fires. I have never in the past been effected by bushfires(being from the burbs)......but this weekend.... :blink:

I sent a text message to several of my players who had earned entry into our six-monthly $500,000 tournament to let them know that I had organized special 'team' shirts for them to wear at big event. I got a call back from one of them thanking me for the shirt as it would be all he had left to wear.....he had lost everything to the fires. Needless to say I am rooting for him to do well this weekend. One of my staff spent the day yesterday up at one of the worst effected areas. 3 of his mates had lost houses......with one losing their younger brother & sister.

Tonight I was out at one of my poker events(averages 35-40 players). One had lost his house......another had broken police lines to try and find his friends(which he did...they had perished). The stories just kept coming. Shortly after starting I had a call from one of my other events. My TD(tournament director) there was having a hard time. His partner had just gotten word that her best friend(and family) had been taken by the fires......then shortly after, one of his best mates(a player) rocked up in tears as he too had lost loved ones. When I got over there, one of our super regular players had turned up. He had lost his house with his family losing a total of 5 houses. He's an older fella and was obviously not coping.....he still had loved ones unaccounted for. I went to a 3rd event where one of my players(who used to work for me & we buy trophies off his mum) bolted out of the tournament as his mum had gone back to their house(which had luckily survived on Saturday).....she had called him saying the fires were coming back.

And it isn't stopping. Areas which had been hit and controlled are now under threat again.

It's just bloody horrific. :doh:

hot + dry+ arson....nightmare combinations---we get the same thing in California but usually avoid the large death tollls.....Must have really taken them by surprise.

Apparently the conditions are such that the 'standard rules' have not applied. On Saturday there were gale force winds & 46(115)degree heat....coming off a week of 40+ degrees.....in a multi-year dry spell(drought). One town in particular, King Lake, had all of their local fire fighters out fighting elsewhere when one started up near the town. They only had 3-5mins of warning before they were hit by an inferno. The town has basically been wiped out. From that area alone it looks like over 40 deaths and 500 houses lost.

Apparently the conditions are such that the 'standard rules' have not applied. On Saturday there were gale force winds & 46(115)degree heat....coming off a week of 40+ degrees.....in a multi-year dry spell(drought). One town in particular, King Lake, had all of their local fire fighters out fighting elsewhere when one started up near the town. They only had 3-5mins of warning before they were hit by an inferno. The town has basically been wiped out. From that area alone it looks like over 40 deaths and 500 houses lost.

Yes - that's what I've read. These fires, their rapidity, have caused the most astute of decisions to be shattered in a matter of minutes. I hope that any recriminations, flinging of blame, are minimal.

My condolences for the many who have perished. I can't imagine the agonies being suffered by the injured. :blink:

Yes - that's what I've read. These fires, their rapidity, have caused the most astute of decisions to be shattered in a matter of minutes. I hope that any recriminations, flinging of blame, are minimal.

My condolences for the many who have perished. I can't imagine the agonies being suffered by the injured. :blink:

+1. Stay safe Dibs and all in Oz.

Me & mine are safe. My brother-in-law lives in Wandong and had to evacuate as the houses over the road were going up. We found out today that his house survived.

It's been absolutely horrific. I run 3 APL(Australian Poker League) Franchises and my regions cover most of the effected areas. Every person I ring or speak to has a new horror story. My staff and a large number of my players have been hit badly by the fires. I have never in the past been effected by bushfires(being from the burbs)......but this weekend.... :blink:

I sent a text message to several of my players who had earned entry into our six-monthly $500,000 tournament to let them know that I had organized special 'team' shirts for them to wear at big event. I got a call back from one of them thanking me for the shirt as it would be all he had left to wear.....he had lost everything to the fires. Needless to say I am rooting for him to do well this weekend. One of my staff spent the day yesterday up at one of the worst effected areas. 3 of his mates had lost houses......with one losing their younger brother & sister.

Tonight I was out at one of my poker events(averages 35-40 players). One had lost his house......another had broken police lines to try and find his friends(which he did...they had perished). The stories just kept coming. Shortly after starting I had a call from one of my other events. My TD(tournament director) there was having a hard time. His partner had just gotten word that her best friend(and family) had been taken by the fires......then shortly after, one of his best mates(a player) rocked up in tears as he too had lost loved ones. When I got over there, one of our super regular players had turned up. He had lost his house with his family losing a total of 5 houses. He's an older fella and was obviously not coping.....he still had loved ones unaccounted for. I went to a 3rd event where one of my players(who used to work for me & we buy trophies off his mum) bolted out of the tournament as his mum had gone back to their house(which had luckily survived on Saturday).....she had called him saying the fires were coming back.

And it isn't stopping. Areas which had been hit and controlled are now under threat again.

It's just bloody horrific. :doh:

How tragic. Stay well, Dibs.

Unbelievable news. My prayers are with you and all Aussies. Stay safe.

To make it worse, I was just reading a news clipping that said they suspected arsonists were starting/aiding the fires. Just unbelievable.

It's been absolutely horrific. I run 3 APL(Australian Poker League) Franchises and my regions cover most of the effected areas. Every person I ring or speak to has a new horror story. My staff and a large number of my players have been hit badly by the fires. I have never in the past been effected by bushfires(being from the burbs)......but this weekend.... :thumbsup:

It's just bloody horrific. :thumbdown:

If there is anything we can do ... please ask. My thoughts are with you and your friends

Thanks for the support guys......much appreciated. Apart from the donation link that Dan provided there's not much that one can do. The entire country here has rallied round. Millions were collected in the first day. Virtually every big business has donated money/goods. Hundreds of ordinary people have been traveling massive distances to drop off food/water/clothes/toiletries etc. The government has called in the army for help & declared the situation a national disaster which I believe opens up the emergency funds.

The good side of disaster is seeing the human spirit for determination & compassion come to the fore. This sort of thing really helps one appreciate what we have......which so often gets taken for granted.

Thanks again for the support.

I heard that the fire was racing faster than one can drive. Probably making the situation worse are eucalyptus trees (if they grow in that area) as they are full of resin. Here in the SF bay area, they are cutting down as many as they can, since they are a non-native species and will go up in a second.

Godspeed to the Aussies. This is a really bad story...people generally have no idea what fire can do until it's too late. :thumbsup:

Conditions have to be perfect for a firestorm to thrive. In Peshtigo, Wisconsin on the same exact day as the Great Chicago Fire, several forest fires merged in 85 degree temperatures, fueled by dry brush and gale force winds, destroying the town (north of Green Bay) and several others.

Officially, the death toll was around 1,250. Most historians think that due to the nature of the fire and the lack of record keeping in 1871, that the real toll is near 3,000 dead. Witnesses said the flames reached an estimated 800 feet in height, and the firestorm was estimated to be more than a mile wide in spots.

What has happened in Australia sounds very similar to Peshtigo. Few escape from such conditions.