The Dean suggested it but I'll start it .... What is your

BuffaloBill

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of a saying one of my former college roomies had:

"Cheap beer is good beer but free beer is always better."

For me I've always liked Rolling Rock beer. Now like most beers it is pretty much available anywhere in the U.S. I remember running across it in L.A. about twenty years ago in a "specialty" beer section. It was being sold as a "premium" beer with a price tag to go along with the description. That was laughable.

Currently, for a relatively inexpensive wine (for a big red anyway) I am partial to Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernet blend. Here in Texas you can pick it up for about $12 per bottle (screw top by the way). For my money it is as good as or even better than some of the $250+ bottles that my boss has an affinity for (I'm happy to let him pay for the things).

On the booze side of the equation I tend not to go cheap. I like to sip good bourbon, scotch or drink a (very cold) vodka martini. However, while not "cheap" I find good old Jack Daniels to be as good as his more expensive cousin - Gentleman Jack.

My worthless thoughts on the subject what are yours?

BTW - to the Dean ... I waited for you to post this but figured I could only wait for so long ... here's a Rolling Rock to you! :rolleyes:

medium priced(7-9n bucks a 6er)---Full Sail Ale.....any of the MENDOCINO Brewing CO Ales... Samuel smiths from UK..

did you like morgantown?? I hear that the state and the school are underrated

I consider Morgantown my second hometown. I loved every minute there outside of the traffic. Great town, great people, lots of fun. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't like going to school there...unless you think of college as a frat party. Our frats weren't that huge, house and block parties were the main attractions

The school when I was there 99-2003 was one of the best educations you could get for under 10k out of state. The tuition and enrollment have nearly doubled since I left, but still they have a great medical school and their engineering school is amazing for the size of the school. I was in the Sport Management program there and WVU is where that major was first instituted. I would recommend WVU to anyone who wants a major college experience with a small town atmosphere.

That my friend is scary. :o

Oh it's all the rage with the 20-somethings out here in Colorado. I can't tell you how many bars downtown have PBR on tap and have PBR nights mid week for the college crowd. The youngins think they're "old-school" by drinking it while wearing their trucker hats and mirrored cop sunglasses. :rolleyes:

Oh it's all the rage with the 20-somethings out here in Colorado. I can't tell you how many bars downtown have PBR on tap and have PBR nights mid week for the college crowd. The youngins think they're "old-school" by drinking it while wearing their trucker hats and mirrored cop sunglasses. :rolleyes:

Stoopid keeeds

had a friend that was a Controller for a well drilling company. He had to down to WV to give guys on the rigs their checks if something got messed up (this was before direct deposit was popular or mandatory). He said that the #1 aim of women in WV was to get the hell out of WV!

When he would go to a bar there, as soon as they found out he was from out of state, they glommed onto him.

had a friend that was a Controller for a well drilling company. He had to down to WV to give guys on the rigs their checks if something got messed up (this was before direct deposit was popular or mandatory). He said that the #1 aim of women in WV was to get the hell out of WV!

When he would go to a bar there, as soon as they found out he was from out of state, they glommed onto him.

probably spent a lot of time in remote and southern WV. And yes, any chance of getting out of there they'll take it

He said that the #1 aim of women in WV was to get the hell out of WV!

And although my mother would never say it, this is why she left 50 years ago. :thumbsup:

Interestingly, she was the only one of her family (eight kids; she was the youngest) who left WV on a long-term basis.

Agreed, nothing beats the champagne of beers! I generally keep Yeungling in the kegerator and bring a couple sixpacks of tall High Lifes to any classy BYOB event. During hunting season they were camouflage!

Not a lot of cheap beers here in Canada, I generally keep PBR in the Kegerator because it's a lot cheaper than the rest and the guys stop by and drink it all anyway. When in Buffalo I drink Corona because it is about half price compared to here.

Not a lot of cheap beers here in Canada, I generally keep PBR in the Kegerator because it's a lot cheaper than the rest and the guys stop by and drink it all anyway. When in Buffalo I drink Corona because it is about half price compared to here.

Thats because Buffalo is so much closer to Mexico :thumbsup:

Maybe it is a Texas thing but I have not even seen the stuff in a store in years. I honestly thought it was no longer made.

Also being a WNY slanted board I am surprised that nobody has said Genny or Genny Screamers ... maybe they are not cheap any more.

That's because we're talking about the best cheap beer...not the worst. :thumbsup:

Oh it's all the rage with the 20-somethings out here in Colorado. I can't tell you how many bars downtown have PBR on tap and have PBR nights mid week for the college crowd. The youngins think they're "old-school" by drinking it while wearing their trucker hats and mirrored cop sunglasses. :thumbsup:

Here in Philly, its the same thing. Pretty much every bar has PBR pounders or they have it on tap.

There's a bar here called Bob & Barbara's that has the biggest collection of PBR stuff in the world (so they say). Literally, wall to wall PBR trinkets, signs, glasses, etc. Their all day, every day special is a PBR pounder and a shot of Jim Beam for $3.

Oh it's all the rage with the 20-somethings out here in Colorado. I can't tell you how many bars downtown have PBR on tap and have PBR nights mid week for the college crowd. The youngins think they're "old-school" by drinking it while wearing their trucker hats and mirrored cop sunglasses. :thumbsup:

Too funny .. I guess if you live long enough everything comes back and has its day. When I lived up near Hamilton, On the guys in the sports bar I used to hang out at lauged at me for drinking Labbats 50's because it was "old man beer." Now that I am an old man I don't want it (not to mention I can't buy it here anyway).

Stoopid keeeds

Boy, yoooouuuu said it.

The Coors/Miller distributor out here came up with this scheme a few years ago when I was still working for the Anheuser-Busch distributor. They would take the "surviving" cans from their breakage and their "close-dated" cans in stores and repackage it randomly and call it "Mystery Beer" and sell it to the bars downtown and then charge a flat fee of $1.50 (that's considered cheap in Colorado Springs) and whatever you grabbed out of the 12-pack box is what you got. Well once the corporate muckety-mucks caught wind of that, mystery beer mysteriously disappeared.