DNA Sampling at Arrest

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/poli...69_dna04m0.html

Suspects arrested in cases as minor as shoplifting would have to give a DNA sample before they are even charged with a crime if a controversial proposal is approved by the Legislature.

Here's some random text because a certain someone doesn't like it when I post a link with a self explanatory thread title and no description

The article is short on factual stuff (surprise).

Are they saying give a sample before they're arraigned or convicted? I can see the logic of collecting all available evidence before a conviction (what's the point of getting evidence after a conviction), but before an arraignment would certainly stretch the law.

I'll have to do some more digging but I believe that this arises out of a case that happened where a young girl was kidnapped, raped and murdered by some guy (naturalized citizen) who managed to fly under the radar ...he did have some run-in with the law and officials were very frustrated that had his identity and background been detected during this routine detention, she might have been spared. If memory serves he was from southeast Asia and had either been a suspect or convicted of similar heinous crimes and somehow managed to conceal his identify when he entered the US decades ago.

But maybe not...I don't like this law much myself. In principle it sounds good to ID the evildoers, but once the govt has a big DNA database then we're all at the mercy of some low-level clerk to code and read the results properly or the wrong person could end up on death row...

The real question as with almost anything else is:

"If we had this technology early on in our American society, would our forefathers have used it?"

My answer: Like hell they wouldn't! Of course they would.

:rolleyes::o

And that is with everything we have today. Just imagine if Tom Sawyer had one of those new-fangled, plastic, maint-free fences... :lol::lol:

I always love these tech arguments. What is the difference between a DNA sample and a fingerprint? I especially love the people who give others guff about using caller ID to screen callers... The only reason we weren't first doing it was because the phone technology early on didn't enable it.

Don't get me started... You commit a crime, collect the damn DNA sample as you would fingerprints.

Mine is a legit typo... :thumbsup:

The difference is a problem with the sh*t between my ears and how it gets to my fingertips. What is your problem with the sh*t between your ears? :nana::nana:

:D

As much as it pains me to possibly agree with Eryn, he is in the right here. So suspicion is enough to add you to a database? Is that your stance? If the local Homeland Security guy dislikes you, he can ream over your whole life? Add you to a database? All terrorist types, one would imagine...

As much as it pains me to possibly agree with Eryn, he is in the right here. So suspicion is enough to add you to a database? Is that your stance? If the local Homeland Security guy dislikes you, he can ream over your whole life? Add you to a database? All terrorist types, one would imagine...

And how is that different from now? What is to prevent some guy who doesn't like to from adding you the the Terrorist Watch List? These abuses you all fear - how does haveing a DNA code underlying things change them?

"Suspects arrested in cases as minor as shoplifting..."

Don't they all already enter arrested people into a "database?" What purpose do fingerprints serve?

It is NOT purely suspicion, IMO... One has to be arrested first. Now, I would agree with you if what you say is the really the case.

Again... Isn't a DNA sample just a very accurate "fingerprint?" I am sorry, I see no difference in taking one's fingerprints OR DNA sample upon booking a suspect.