Another tax cheat.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what happens when you actually vet your nominees, unlike the last administration who made ignoring/burying backgrounds an art form.

You would have a point if these candidates were shot down before they were nominated. When they withdraw after the announcement is made, that great vetting process you tout, kinda sucks.

You would have a point if these candidates were shot down before they were nominated. When they withdraw after the announcement is made, that great vetting process you tout, kinda sucks.

Yet the process has been as transparent as this process could be, and it has been the nominees or the Obama administration that has brought these issues to light. Once they found out about Richardson, he was pulled. They examined the Geitner and Daschel mistakes and moved forward after full disclosure to put them through the rest of the process. This last person pulled herself out of the nomination (surely at the behest of the Obama team). So it seems like the process is working.

Yet the process has been as transparent as this process could be, and it has been the nominees or the Obama administration that has brought these issues to light. Once they found out about Richardson, he was pulled. They examined the Geitner and Daschel mistakes and moved forward after full disclosure to put them through the rest of the process. This last person pulled herself out of the nomination (surely at the behest of the Obama team). So it seems like the process is working.

You mean, if they're a big shot DC insider, they're confirmed no matter the allegation, while the small fish get tossed aside?

Yup, the process works.

You mean, if they're a big shot DC insider, they're confirmed no matter the allegation, while the small fish get tossed aside?

Yup, the process works.

Pretty much how life works. Same as.... if your a big shot bank or auto maker you get billions, while the small fish get tossed aside and go bankrupt.

Yup, the process works.

I wouldn't call Bill Richardson a small fish. The Geithner nomination went through because his tax issue was a minor (and common) one, and he was considered by all to be very qualified for the job. Daschle has some significant hurdles in his way, and if this tax issue tanks his nomination then the process is working. This latest person was either asked to withdraw by the Obama team, or maybe she just threw herself on her own sword rather than go through with it. In any event, of the four, only one has been confirmed. So, rather than have this stuff come up post-confirmation and then have the administration get court orders to squash any and all inquiries (like the previous loons), the process has played out like it should. Quite frankly, I think it speaks well on the transparency of the entire process so far.

And just like that, Daschle has pulled himself out of the nomination. The process is working. Transparency and accountability. Interesting concepts that we haven't seen in eight years.

Perhaps you can provide the voluminous links to the previous administration blocking access to illegal activities conducted by its nominees during the nomination process or after.

I wouldn't call Bill Richardson a small fish. The Geithner nomination went through because his tax issue was a minor (and common) one, and he was considered by all to be very qualified for the job. Daschle has some significant hurdles in his way, and if this tax issue tanks his nomination then the process is working. This latest person was either asked to withdraw by the Obama team, or maybe she just threw herself on her own sword rather than go through with it. In any event, of the four, only one has been confirmed. So, rather than have this stuff come up post-confirmation and then have the administration get court orders to squash any and all inquiries (like the previous loons), the process has played out like it should. Quite frankly, I think it speaks well on the transparency of the entire process so far.

I think that's a good point, and we'll never know the reality. But, I could easily see the Obama team calling them up and giving them the option to withdraw with dignity or be removed in disgrace. Allowing someone to save a little face is quite common. Either way the person is out and probably for the best.

I would agree, it does speak to the transparency of the process. Regardless of how these problems are coming out, the point is they're coming out now rather than 3 years from now. Congress can debate them and in some instances look past them, in others, not.

And just like that, Daschle has pulled himself out of the nomination. The process is working. Transparency and accountability. Interesting concepts that we haven't seen in eight years.

But not "vetting". Don't even begin to think that constitutes "vetting".

Perhaps you can provide the voluminous links to the previous administration blocking access to illegal activities conducted by its nominees during the nomination process or after.

I think his point was more that people under the previous administration never volunteered such information (which I have little problem with), and never took responsibility for their gaffes (which I have significant problems with).

Which is pretty much true.

I think his point was more that people under the previous administration never volunteered such information (which I have little problem with), and never took responsibility for their gaffes (which I have significant problems with).

Which is pretty much true.

Correct me if I'm wrong but your point relates to actions while the people were already in office, not during the nomination/confirmation process.

Let's hold off on judging the current admin when the have some body of work & actions to be judged.

While it may speak well of the transparency of the process, it doesn't speak well of Obama's staff, who clearly should have known and corrected ALL of this BEFORE making all these particularly ill-advised selections.

It's funny. Libs spent countless weeks busting McCain's ass for not properly vetting Palin, and yet Obama makes appointment mistake after appointment mistake, and the process is considered successful. :wallbash::thumbsup: