Ben Roethlisberger equals Doug Flutie??!!

RLflutie7

I debated weather to post this. But after watching the ESPN and NFL Network highlights and interviews, did Ben Roethlisberger play like Doug Flutie?

With past arguements about DF/RJ and if a QB can win it all, when he's making mostly busted plays, I bring this conversation to Ben Roethlisberger.

And I'm actually going to contradict myself, because I think Big Ben got a little lucky. I always said, a team could win a Superbowl with Flutie and his improvising style.

But most here didn't think a QB could win the big game playing like that.

And I do think that the 2008 Steelers looked a lot like the 1999 Bills all year long. And I have to admit, they've been annoying to watch. I thought they've been getting lucky all year, or at least the defense carried them to victory.

And their point production and offensive line play have been weak.

I think Roethlisberger changed the way people view him. I really was expecting him to fail in that last drive.

His comments to ESPN about "backyard" football were strange to say the least.

Thoughts?

I debated weather to post this. But after watching the ESPN and NFL Network highlights and interviews, did Ben Roethlisberger play like Doug Flutie?

With past arguements about DF/RJ and if a QB can win it all, when he's making mostly busted plays, I bring this conversation to Ben Roethlisberger.

And I'm actually going to contradict myself, because I think Big Ben got a little lucky. I always said, a team could win a Superbowl with Flutie and his improvising style.

But most here didn't think a QB could win the big game playing like that.

And I do think that the 2008 Steelers looked a lot like the 1999 Bills all year long. And I have to admit, they've been annoying to watch. I thought they've been getting lucky all year, or at least the defense carried them to victory.

And their point production and offensive line play have been weak.

I think Roethlisberger changed the way people view him. I really was expecting him to fail in that last drive.

His comments to ESPN about "backyard" football were strange to say the least.

Thoughts?

I don't really know about the whole Flutie-Roethlisberger comparison, but what I do know is that anybody who feels like criticizing Roethlisberger will have to wait until he finishes polishing his TWO superbowl rings.

I don't really know about the whole Flutie-Roethlisberger comparison, but what I do know is that anybody who feels like criticizing Roethlisberger will have to wait until he finishes polishing his TWO superbowl rings.

I guess I'm kind of taking a shot at him. It was all busted plays. Sandlot football. But it did win. And that can be taken to the bank. It was John Elway like. That would also be a good comparison.

I wonder how this will play in the future. It was a great pass, but he did say he thought it was going to be a pick.

What Flutie fanatics (always) seem to fail to acknowledge, was that his size and build were not suited to playing NFL QB. As well as he played at times, his body and arm wore down as seasons progressed. For all the whining about him being benched for the playoffs, the Bills were winning despite him, not because of him, the later half of that season. His arm was dead. I agree, Roethlisberger and Flutie have a knack for making something out of nothing, but you might argue that Flutie did less than Big Ben, with the tools he had around him. And come on, Flutie, even at his best, did not have Roethlisbergers arm strength. I don't think Flutie could have made that winning td throw that BR made tonight. Because of his hight, Flutie would have been flushed out of the pocket.

While the two guys may play "sandlot" football, Roethlisberger is big enough, and strong enough, to move in the pocket, without having to completely bail on it. More like a Marino in that sense.

What Flutie fanatics (always) seem to fail to acknowledge, was that his size and build were not suited to playing NFL QB. As well as he played at times, his body and arm wore down as seasons progressed. For all the whining about him being benched for the playoffs, the Bills were winning despite him, not because of him, the later half of that season. His arm was dead. I agree, Roethlisberger and Flutie have a knack for making something out of nothing, but you might argue that Flutie did less than Big Ben, with the tools he had around him. And come on, Flutie, even at his best, did not have Roethlisbergers arm strength. I don't think Flutie could have made that winning td throw that BR made tonight. Because of his hight, Flutie would have been flushed out of the pocket.

While the two guys may play "sandlot" football, Roethlisberger is big enough, and strong enough, to move in the pocket, without having to completely bail on it. More like a Marino in that sense.

I disagree with some points and agree with others.

What fans that didn't like Flutie as the starter failed to realize is that Flutie was suited to play in the NFL because of his arm strength. We can argue all day about that.

His size was a hindrance because he couldn't see the field as well. I thought it was his vision at times that was blocked.

He may have run down towards the end of the year> But most, if not all, NFL players lose some steam. Warner has lost 25 pounds this year. You can tell in photos. Madden mentiioned how small he looked. But he could still throw. And I thought Bledsoe really struggled late in the year with Bills and Cowboys. He just ran out of gas all the time. McNabb runs out of gas during games all the time. It's part of the game.

The Bills struggled on offense in 99, late in the year, but what most people forget the injuries the Bills had with Reimersma and Moulds or they won't acknowledge it. Flutie did well considering those facts. He didn't do great, but he did do well.

Big Ben does have great arm strength, more than Flutie. And he can break tackles better. He also has great body control and he can throw off balance, that's something that Flutie couldn't really do. Throwing off balance when people are hanging all over you and throwing on the run are two different things.

But Big Ben also had balls tipped at the LOS this year. Quite often. And he had a ball intercepted in the Superbowl because of it. That could have been a killer.

Flutie couldn't hold Ben's jockstrap. Flutie was a failed NFL QB, who turned in some marginal performances at the end of his professional career. He had a knack for making some great plays at the end of the game, but those were often necessary, at least in part, because of his substandard performance earlier in the game.

Ben played well throughout the game...AND he has the ability to play a little backyard ball.

Doug Flutie never won ONE NFL playoff game. Comparing him to a Ben is absurd.

What fans that didn't like Flutie as the starter failed to realize is that Flutie was suited to play in the NFL because of his arm strength. We can argue all day about that.

His size was a hindrance because he couldn't see the field as well. I thought it was his vision at times that was blocked.

He may have run down towards the end of the year> But most, if not all, NFL players lose some steam. Warner has lost 25 pounds this year. You can tell in photos. Madden mentiioned how small he looked. But he could still throw. And I thought Bledsoe really struggled late in the year with Bills and Cowboys. He just ran out of gas all the time. McNabb runs out of gas during games all the time. It's part of the game.

The Bills struggled on offense in 99, late in the year, but what most people forget the injuries the Bills had with Reimersma and Moulds or they won't acknowledge it. Flutie did well considering those facts. He didn't do great, but he did do well.

Big Ben does have great arm strength, more than Flutie. And he can break tackles better. He also has great body control and he can throw off balance, that's something that Flutie couldn't really do. Throwing off balance when people are hanging all over you and throwing on the run are two different things.

But Big Ben also had balls tipped at the LOS this year. Quite often. And he had a ball intercepted in the Superbowl because of it. That could have been a killer.

Ben is a much better version of Flutie IMO. At least the Bills version of Flutie. While they are similar in play, it's always going to be a height issue for Doug. He was always having to get out of the pocket to scan downfield, and that is just limiting. Ben is not close to Flutie in the athletic ability but he is much stronger. He has a stronger arm and is very difficult to tackle. He was also blessed with height and can keep his eyes downfield, unlike Doug. I don't think Ben is an elite Qb but he is a winner and he does get it done when it counts. He has 19 fourth quarter comebacks in his 5 year career to go with 2 superbowls.

Ben is a much better version of Flutie IMO. At least the Bills version of Flutie. While they are similar in play, it's always going to be a height issue for Doug. He was always having to get out of the pocket to scan downfield, and that is just limiting. Ben is not close to Flutie in the athletic ability but he is much stronger. He has a stronger arm and is very difficult to tackle. He was also blessed with height and can keep his eyes downfield, unlike Doug. I don't think Ben is an elite Qb but he is a winner and he does get it done when it counts. He has 19 fourth quarter comebacks in his 5 year career to go with 2 superbowls.

I would tend to agree with this post. And Ben is a better athlete than anyone gave him credit for.

The five turnstyles in front of him didn't really help much.

There are some team similarities as far as the #1 defense, a couple nice WR's and a subpar OL/running game.

The Steelers D was better than #1 though, it was like "best since 2000 Ravens" good.

Their schedule was also much tougher than ours. IIRC Moulds was injured for 3 games in October, not at the end of the year. He was at Flutie's disposal when we lost to the Raiders & Giants at home - who were both lousy teams that year. Pitt didn't lose games like that. If we hadn't then we're not playing @Nashville on wildcard weekend.

I debated weather to post this. But after watching the ESPN and NFL Network highlights and interviews, did Ben Roethlisberger play like Doug Flutie?.....

...I think Roethlisberger changed the way people view him. I really was expecting him to fail in that last drive....

...Thoughts?

What are you comparing here??

Little Doug brought his Heisman Trophy and Boston College story-book career to the NFL, in 1985. In the absolute prime of his career, 5 years into it, he quit on the NFL to be a superstar up in Canada. He remained a "3-down" superstar QB in Canada for the next 7 years. In 1998, by the time he came back down to help out the Bills, he was already in his late 30's and just had that one Pro Bowl year left in him - that '98 season he came off the bench when Johnson got hurt.

He struggled mightily as the starter the entire '99 season, and like every other time he gained a starting position in the NFL before he bolted to Canada, he lost his starting job for the playoff game against the Titans to Johnson. He finished his strange NFL career starting a season for the Chargers before Drew Brees came in and put him back on the bench a couple years later. In all, the guy played pro football for almost 20 years, but his best years were the 7 he was a star in the CFL. His 11 or 12 NFL seasons were spent mostly as an un-appreciated back up, and sometime starter.

Big Ben came out of little Miami University in Ohio, with no Heisman trophy, and with a chip on his big shoulder for being the third QB picked in his 2004 draft class. He came right in for the Steelers and started during his rookie season, and has won two Super Bowls as their starting QB in his 5 seasons. I really don't see him bolting for the Argos in a couple of months, do you?? Plus, although he has a knack for setting up different pockets to throw out of by eluding pass rushers, Big Ben is over 6'5 and Little Doug was what, 5'7 or 5'8?? Fluties' record as a starter in NFL playoff games was what, 0-1 or maybe 0-2 if he started a playoff game for the Bears early in his career? Big Ben already has two SB rings, so why you are comparing these two QB's is beyond logical reason, to me! :thumbdown:

What are you comparing here??

Little Doug brought his Heisman Trophy and Boston College story-book career to the NFL, in 1985. In the absolute prime of his career, 5 years into it, he quit on the NFL to be a superstar up in Canada. He remained a "3-down" superstar QB in Canada for the next 7 years. In 1998, by the time he came back down to help out the Bills, he was already in his late 30's and just had that one Pro Bowl year left in him - that '98 season he came off the bench when Johnson got hurt.

He struggled mightily as the starter the entire '99 season, and like every other time he gained a starting position in the NFL before he bolted to Canada, he lost his starting job for the playoff game against the Titans to Johnson. He finished his strange NFL career starting a season for the Chargers before Drew Brees came in and put him back on the bench a couple years later. In all, the guy played pro football for almost 20 years, but his best years were the 7 he was a star in the CFL. His 11 or 12 NFL seasons were spent mostly as an un-appreciated back up, and sometime starter.

Big Ben came out of little Miami University in Ohio, with no Heisman trophy, and with a chip on his big shoulder for being the third QB picked in his 2004 draft class. He came right in for the Steelers and started during his rookie season, and has won two Super Bowls as their starting QB in his 5 seasons. I really don't see him bolting for the Argos in a couple of months, do you?? Plus, although he has a knack for setting up different pockets to throw out of by eluding pass rushers, Big Ben is over 6'5 and Little Doug was what, 5'7 or 5'8?? Fluties' record as a starter in NFL playoff games was what, 0-1 or maybe 0-2 if he started a playoff game for the Bears early in his career? Big Ben already has two SB rings, so why you are comparing these two QB's is beyond logical reason, to me! :wallbash:

It was the way Ben was playing. All year long, he's been scrambling around like a mad man. Steve Young told him he looked like Fran Tarkenton when he was interviewing him after the Superbowl.

And Fran Tarkenton and Big Ben are not comparable in size either.

It was the way Ben was playing. All year long, he's been scrambling around like a mad man. Steve Young told him he looked like Fran Tarkenton when he was interviewing him after the Superbowl.

And Fran Tarkenton and Big Ben are not comparable in size either.

Fran Tarkenton was a great QB, and in the HOF, in Canton.