Ugg.....this heat is killing me.

Dibs

Sounds like Texas summer

Yep. Sounds like summer in the Mississippi Delta too. We regularly have 100+ degree F temps for about 2 months straight.

It's called Air Conditioner, Dibs. Turn it on and turn it up. Yeah it'll run the utility bill up, but its better than sweating it out all day and night.

Where he lives might not have AC. In San Francisco, most apartments dont have AC because the normal climate is not that warm. People there are roasting when they do get temps in the upper 80s and 90s.

I'll take 30 over 100 every day of the week,

Having lived in both I would agree from a pure temperature standpoint ... however, the weather that can come with 30 ... i.e. snow is a different story. I do not miss the snowshovel and ice scraper. I actually like the Pacific Northwest where they tend not to have either extreme.

Having lived in both I would agree from a pure temperature standpoint ... however, the weather that can come with 30 ... i.e. snow is a different story. I do not miss the snowshovel and ice scraper. I actually like the Pacific Northwest where they tend not to have either extreme.

I actually miss cleaning my car of snow, and scraping off the ice on the windows, during the winter. But, let's be blunt, I'm a freak show. I don't tolerate hot (especially hot and humid) weather very well. SF had a nice climate for me (although I missed the snow), but I was bored to tears with the weather in Southern California, when I lived there. Still, even that is preferable to the summers in Florida.

Now, with all that said, I find complaining about the weather to be a fairly stupid, and fruitless, exercise. It is what it is, and there is little that most of us can do to change it. Dress appropriately (if possible) and try to enjoy what you get. The alternative is being miserable. Of course, complaining makes some people happy, I guess.

I actually miss cleaning my car of snow, and scraping off the ice on the windows, during the winter. But, let's be blunt, I'm a freak show. I don't tolerate hot (especially hot and humid) weather very well. SF had a nice climate for me (although I missed the snow), but I was bored to tears with the weather in Southern California, when I lived there. Still, even that is preferable to the summers in Florida.

Now, with all that said, I find complaining about the weather to be a fairly stupid, and fruitless, exercise. It is what it is, and there is little that most of us can do to change it. Dress appropriately (if possible) and try to enjoy what you get. The alternative is being miserable. Of course, complaining makes some people happy, I guess.

I felt the same thing when we were living in Florida, and even didn't mind the first winter we were back. Now it's three years later and I'm wondering WTF we were thinking moving to snowy, wintry area.

As for the temps, I tend to agree with BuffaloBill - the temp is one thing, it's the tagalong ice, snow and wind chills that suck.

FWIW, I remember what my father told me when I was younger and complaining about the winter cold - you can always put more clothes/layers on when it's cold, but when it gets hot there's only so much you can take off.

Just got back from Vegas for the super bowl. Weather was just perfect. There 4 days did not see a cloud in the sky. Temps were in the high 60s with no wind. There was this big yellow ball really high in the sky. Not exactly quite sure what it was. Back to the sh*thole last night. 20 degrees, light snow. I noticed something also. On the flight home there was very little cloud coverage the whole way home, thru the Rockies, over the plains, into Chicago & then as soon as we got around the great lakes/cleveland/erie/buffalo there was a 100% cloud coverage. Living in buffalo gets depressing this time of year.

On the plane ride home I was reading an article on Jacksonville. It looks like that city is really growing(at least from the article). Looks like a real nice city too. I was there 10 years ago & from what I remember(I was pretty liquored up the whole weekend) seemed like a pretty nice town. Played Sawgrass when I was there. Still to this day one of the nicest courses I ever played.

Just got back from Vegas for the super bowl. Weather was just perfect. There 4 days did not see a cloud in the sky. Temps were in the high 60s with no wind. There was this big yellow ball really high in the sky. Not exactly quite sure what it was. Back to the sh*thole last night. 20 degrees, light snow. I noticed something also. On the flight home there was very little cloud coverage the whole way home, thru the Rockies, over the plains, into Chicago & then as soon as we got around the great lakes/cleveland/erie/buffalo there was a 100% cloud coverage. Living in buffalo gets depressing this time of year.

On the plane ride home I was reading an article on Jacksonville. It looks like that city is really growing(at least from the article). Looks like a real nice city too. I was there 10 years ago & from what I remember(I was pretty liquored up the whole weekend) seemed like a pretty nice town. Played Sawgrass when I was there. Still to this day one of the nicest courses I ever played.

It's a little bit difficult to describe Jacksonville, but I will try.

First of all, the city of Jacksonville is one of the biggest cities in the country (in land area, not population), because the entire county (Duval) is considered Jacksonville. Much of J-ville's inner city is very undesirable, and has a high murder rate. They are trying to revive some of downtown, and the Jacksonville Landing area, and the are immediately surrounding it, are OK, and there are things to do...but, it's a destination for a night out, not a place to live, for most people moving to the area.

The nicer areas of Jacksonville are growing suburbs (some still technically in J-Ville). I am in the "Southside" section on a semi-regular basis. There are many gated communities, some attached to country clubs, with their own private golf courses. But, Southside has very little personality, IMO. Big plazas with chain stores and restaurants, is the norm. I will say that J-Ville does attract the best of the chain restaurants...but they are just that. The great local spot is tough to find, and their really aen't "neighborhoods" with different flavors, if that makes any sense to you.

It occurs to me that, in the way SF might be described as a "mini NYC", in a way, Jacksonville might best be described as a mini LA. The city isn't really what it is all about. There are some nice beach towns, that have some unique atmosphere, and some suburbs in the interior (outside of Duval county) that are growing, too. Ponte Vedra is a very upscale town in St John's county, that is the home of the TPC (Sawgrass is there). St Augustine is the oldest city in the country (one can quibble with that) and has a pretty cool downtown (think "clean less-fun French Quarter"). A short way down the coast is Flagler Beach, and Daytona Beach.

The area is loaded with great golf courses. The World Golf Village (with the Golf HOF) is in St John's county, and is expanding rapidly. So, if you are a beach/golf kind of guy/family, you could do much worse than this area. The key in the First Coast (that's what they call this area, now), is finding the right place for you to live. As a whole, it can seem like a soulless/personalityless area. But, if you find a particular town, or beach, that fits your style, it can be a pretty nice place. Of course, if you are moving from Buffalo, be prepared for sticker shock, when it comes to housing, going out, groceries, etc. The cost of living isn't as high as it is in big cities, but much higher than it is in WNY.

Since moving here really wasn't by choice (but by obligation), I got pretty lucky. I really despise most of Florida, but St Augustine Beach is a pretty cool little beach town. It isn't a spring break town (DAMN!) and it isn't over-commercialized. There are good local restaurants that aren't even chains (but there are plenty of those in St Augustine, too...just not downtown or in St Augustine Beach), a few decent bars, and a pretty laid-back attitude.

If you are looking and need advice, PM me, and I can help you get some info.