Which 7-9 season was Jauron's best?

You could make a case that his first was his best. He had a brand new staff and was coaching players that he inherited from previous years.

On the other hand his defense was riddled with injuries for much of 2007and he still finished 7-9.

This past year featured a 5-1 start. Well, we all know what happened after that.

What do ya'll think?

You could make a case that his first was his best. He had a brand new staff and was coaching players that he inherited from previous years.

On the other hand his defense was riddled with injuries for much of 2007and he still finished 7-9.

This past year featured a 5-1 start. Well, we all know what happened after that.

What do ya'll think?

I think next season will be his best 7-9 season yet!

So, does anyone think if Mularkey would've gotten a third year in his program, he could have taken the Bills to the playoffs?

if mularky got the bills to the playoffs, he wouldnt suck. But he did suck, and that is why he never got the bills to the playoffs.

mularky made the offense too complicated and jouran made it too simple. And they both made bonehead calls.

What do ya'll think?

thats like saying what weighs more, a 100 pounds of bricks or 100 pounds of feathers

7-9 is 7-9 no matter how you look at it

What do ya'll think?

I have no idea which 7-9 Season was tops in the Jauron Era...

I do know when I saw the Thread Title I laughed...hard...So it was a worthy topic nonetheless... B-)

This is a candidate for best thread of the year. LMFAO.

DJ's best 7-9 year is always his next year. Why? Let's look at the stats:

Fact 1: Teams with a 5-1 start have an 85% chance of getting into the playoffs.

OK, so not only did DJ not make the playoffs, he managed a 7-9. I am not sure that there are odds for that kind of fall as I don't think it has ever been done before (I am probably wrong and hopefully a stat rat will learn me the facts) so let's say that DJ has hit a one in a million by going 7-9 with a 5-1 start.

Fact 2: After a historic fall from grace, DJ and his entore staff still has a job.

Huh? Rebuilding is damn near done so there is no excuse for taking this kind of header, especially considering that the perennial division leader is mortally wounded, yet DJ and crew walk away unscathed. How and why?

So given the above let's put on the tin foil caps and go conspiracy hunting. We have an owner that is being kept alive by God knows what means and he has sworn that he will not even talk about selling HIS team to anyone. No, this is not Ralph saving the team for his kids, they have already promised to sell, this is Ralph being belligerent, like he wants to punish the city. Couple that with Ralph giving DJ a pass on what is, arguably, one of the greatest failures in modern NFL football and, well, put another layer of tin foil on and admit that the owner wants the Bills out of Buffalo to spite the city.

Here is where it goes X-File. Did DJ make an effort to ensure that the Bills would not break .500? You'd almost have to try to fail this badly, yet he is getting a raise for doing just that. WTF people? Does 7-9 keep the sale of the team very profitable without putting it into the stratosphere? Great young team with a huge upside so Buy! Buy! Buy! DId DJ have orders not to hit .500? B-)

What do ya'll think?

2007....We were decimated w/ injuries and some of the games we lost, we should have won. (Denver and Dallas games come to mind)

Statistically, this year was the best. By the quality of competition, 2006 was the best. Due to all the injuries, I'd have to say 2007 was the best.

So, does anyone think if Mularkey would've gotten a third year in his program, he could have taken the Bills to the playoffs?

I think with a better decision maker at qb he could have made the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with a complicated offense, if the players are smart enough to understand it.

And 2007 was the best. It gave everyone hope that after all the injuries we could bounce back and be a viable team.

What do ya'll think?

I dont believe in highlighting 7-9 teams as being the best. The best of what mediocracy no thank you. 7-9 is not a good record.

But his best 7-9 team was 2006.

While Bill Parcells' axiom of "You are what your record says you are" is a truism, I tend to believe that sometimes a team can be better or worse than another team with the same record. The title of the thread is also thought-provoking in the sense that it doesn't pose the question of which team was the best -- but which season was Jauron's best. That implies to me that the question is: In which season did Jauron do his best job coaching.

Obviously with the 5-1 collapse, the 0-6 record against division foes and the well-documented series of questionable decisions made toward the end of the regular season, it is rather easy to pinpoint 2008 as his worst since coaching with the Buffalo Bills. To be honest, though, prior to this season I honestly thought he did a pretty good job with the talent and the unfortunate series of injuries that he was forced to contend with. Recall that the team went 7-9 (and was in a number of other games, losing by 3 points or less to quality opponents like the Patriots, Colts and Chargers) and that was with J.P. Losman starting every game at QB. I really do believe that he did a remarkable job of damage control and hiding our deficiencies that season. 2007 was wrought with so many injuries that one could almost give him a mulligan for the less than .500 results.

Count me as one of the few on this board that was not mortified by Ralph's decision to keep Jauron around for another year. Did he deserve to be fired based on his 2008 failures? Perhaps. But, as indicated above, I feel that he has done a good coaching job in 2 of his 3 seasons here. I also believe that he may have been somewhat hampered in 2008 by the amount of youth not only on the roster -- but in the front office and coaching ranks as well. Yes, Trent Edwards just completed his first full season as a starter. But will Turk learn from his mistakes as a rookie OC? How about AVP as QB Coach? With the absence of a true GM, the entire front office had to step it up a notch (especially Brandon). Might the whole organization be better prepared after their 2008 learning experience? I believe that we will learn a lot about the direction of this team based on what goes on in the off-season. Will they make prudent decisions in free agency? Will they make full use of all possible options on draft day? How will Brandon and company handle Jason Peters' likely holdout again this season?