What Scouts Inc says about the top 2 TEs

Beerball

Tight Ends

Brandon Pettigrew is ranked their 13th best player, #1TE, 6' 5 5/8", 260 lbs, overall grade 94

Production Red-shirted in 2004. Played in 11 games (nine starts) as a freshman in 2005, finishing with 128 yards and one TD on 11 receptions. Started all 13 games as a sophomore in 2006, finishing with 310 yards and four scores on 24 receptions. Started all 13 games as a junior in 2007, finishing with 540 yards (15.4) and four scores on 35 receptions

Height-Weight-Speed Possesses prototypical height and bulk for a NFL tight end. He's a good athlete but his straight-line speed is adequate-at-best for the position.

Durability Injuries have not been an issue; he has started all 13 games during each of the past two seasons (2006-'07).

Character Charged with felony assault and battery of a police officer in February, 2008. Police responded to an altercation at a residence in Stillwater, OK. When asked to leave, Pettigrew refused and elbowed an officer in the chest. Pettigrew has since pleaded guilty to a lesser charge (misdemeanor assault and battery) in return for fines paid and 20 hours of community service. He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor public intoxication in the incident and was fined $100. He received a deferred sentence and won't have a criminal record if he successfully completes probation. Coach Mike Gundy declined to suspend Pettigrew, saying in February that he would allow the case to run its course.

Ball Skills Productive receiver with big, soft hands. He can pluck on the run and also catches the ball consistently over his head. Rarely drops a 'catchable' pass and when he does it typically has been due to a lapse in concentration

Separation Skills Big target; knows how to use his frame to shield defenders from the ball. Is fluid and smooth for his size. Shows adequate-to-good initial burst off the line. But he doesn't run all of his routes with the same level of urgency. He is sloppy with his breaks and needs rounds too many off. Shows an overall lack of discipline at times

Blocking Better blocker than most at his position. Big frame with long arms and big hands. Good overall strength for a TE. Is able to anchor at the point of attack when he stays low. Displays good upper-body power for the position and flashes a mean streak. Does a good job with his first step. He is a more effective blocker in-line than he is in space, though. He needs to be more consistent with his technique in space, rather than looking to bury the defender with his initial pop

Toughness Flashes a mean streak. Will make tough catches in traffic. Won't back down from a challenge. Only concern here is with his mental toughness. He tends to turn his motor on and off when he feels like it. He can get lazy and undisciplined at times

Big-Play Potential This is one of the big areas of concern regarding his pro potential. While smooth and fluid for his size, he lacks the speed necessary to consistently stretch the seam as a receiver. Additionally, while he is a tough runner after the catch, he's not going to make many defenders miss in space, nor will he run away from many LB's or DB's in the NFL

Chase Coffman is the #2 TE, 6' 5 7/8", 247 lbs, overall grade 85

Production In his first three seasons (2005-'07), Coffman has played in 38 games primarily as a rotating No. 2 TE with Martin Rucker (Browns) and has notched 157 receptions for 1,672 yards and 20 scores

Height-Weight-Speed Good height and size potential, but lacks ideal bulk. Speed is below average, especially for an H-Back type

Durability Had surgery after the 2007-'08 Cotton Bowl to clean up bone spurs in his right ankle, which limited him late in the regular season and caused him to miss his only game (Big 12 Championship vs. Oklahoma in 2007) in three seasons

Character Hard worker. Plays through pain. No off-the-field issues to our knowledge.

Ball Skills Hands are outstanding. A reliable target. Will make the tough catch in traffic. Can snatch the ball on the run and get upfield without losing much time in transition. Also has proven consistently capable of catching the ball thrown over his head.

Separation Skills Spends most of his time working flexed out in the slot or split out wide, so still needs to learn how to release versus a LB in press technique from an in-line alignment. But he does display good initial quickness off the line of scrimmage for a tight end. Runs sharp, crisp routes. Knows how to read coverage and does a great job of finding soft spots in zone. Excellent on hot reads. Knows how to get open in a hurry in those situations

Blocking This is his biggest area of weakness. He's lean and has below average overall strength. Plays with a narrow base and really struggles to sustain blocks after locking on. Only positives are his mobility and effort, as he generally gets in good position and flashes a mean streak

Toughness He's tougher than expected. He's willing as a blocker and will get 'chippy' at times when challenged. He also is a fearless route runner and a tough runner after the catch.

Big-Play Potential He's quicker than fast. Gets off the line quickly for a TE and occasionally will show the ability to sneak down the seam. In his defense, the TE does not run a lot of down-the-field type routes in Mizzou's offense. But the reality is his top-end speed is only adequate and he lacks the elusiveness/second-gear to break many long runs after the catch

Here are those next in line:

Jared Cook TE 6'5" 243 SOUTH CAROLINA Grade 84

Cornelius Ingram TE 6'3" 229 FLORIDA Grade 82

Shawn Nelson TE 6'4" 233 SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI Grade 79

TE Link

Agreed. blocking TEs especially in our current offensive system seem to be the norm. Pettigrew isn't a top 15 pick, I'd call him somewhere in the 18-25 range of the first round. Another TE to keep an eye on is Beckum from Wisconsin. He was injured most of this year, but is a solid all around TE. Look for him on Day 2

Agreed. blocking TEs especially in our current offensive system seem to be the norm. Pettigrew isn't a top 15 pick, I'd call him somewhere in the 18-25 range of the first round. Another TE to keep an eye on is Beckum from Wisconsin. He was injured most of this year, but is a solid all around TE. Look for him on Day 2

I know what you mean when you say this, however I'm not so sure the the Bills FO cares what range a player should be drafted in. They seem to have the mentality of "just getting their guy" where ever that may be. If they're interested in Pettigrew then they'll draft him at 11.

I REALLY do not want Pettigrew at number 11. This is just too high for a tight end that seems to have questionable speed and possibly character IMO. Time will tell about that obviously, but if everything goes the way it has been going come combine and workout time, we have to look at guys like Raji, Everette Brown, and Orakpo if he somehow slides to us before we look at a tight end at that spot. If we take one of those guys in the first, we can always make an attempt to trade back into the mid-late first round and snag a Pettigrew if the F.O. is that high on him.

If Brown, Orapko, Curry or Raji are not available I think Pettigrew is starting to look like a very good option. In an ideal world I would like to trade down a few spots to be able to get him and to pick up another draft pick. I stated this earlier in another thread, but I remember reading somewhere that he has better speed than what a lot of people are thinking about him. I think he is gonna surprise people at the combine. I've also read that he is a devastating blocker and he has mismatched and manhandled just about everyone he has faced this year (not even close) as far as his blocking is concerned. I think he would be an immediate upgrade in the run and pass game and I think it is worth it to go after him if some of the other choices are not available to us.

just a guess, but i think the Bills sign a starting tight end during the free agent period, i think the Bills think highly of Derek Fine. This will allow them to fill another hole in Rd 1. In fact..i wouldn't be surprised to see Fine as the starter outright..like it or not

Thanks for that Beerball.

TE is a position of need, for sure. Based on the Scouts Inc. report it seems clear that Pettigrew is the best option as he embodies what a TE is and what a TE means to the Bills. Coffman is essentially a giant WR with no speed. Pettigrew is clearly a better fit for us as he would be lining up next to tackles, not flexed out. We don't need a TE to be fast, he needs to have good hands and be able to adjust to the ball. And again in reference to this report, Pettigrew clearly has those abilities.

Combine pending, Pettigrew looks like a reasonable pick at 11. Clearly put, he fills a need, rather a void in our offense. I fully acknowledge our DE woes and would take Orakpo in a heartbeat if he's there, but I am becomming more and more comfortable with Pettigrew at pick 11.

I really think that a legit pass-catching TE would really pull our offense together. While not a sexy pick, if he's considered the 13th best player and 1st at his position, how is he a reach at 11?

His size and hands are strong selling points. This guy is the antithesis of Robert Royal, and that's a good thing.

I know what you mean when you say this, however I'm not so sure the the Bills FO cares what range a player should be drafted in. They seem to have the mentality of "just getting their guy" where ever that may be. If they're interested in Pettigrew then they'll draft him at 11.

I saw both these guys play, and I'd take Coffman. He's big and has amazing hands. It would be fun to see the Bills actually use the tight end as something besides a 4th option. Plus, he can learn how to block with a good coach. Mizzou ran a spread offense without much of an emphasis on traditional tight end blocking.

Coffman's dad was a Pro Bowl tight end in the late 70's, early 80's, for the Packers. And they don't take that position lightly up there. He's got lineage.

The one thing I would hope doesn't happen is Buffalo reaches for a TE because they need one. The Bills have giant needs at DE, TE, SLB, and C. For this team, using the 11th overall pick on anything but an impact DE or SLB would be bad.

We can't tell how the draft will play out and who'll be available at 11. But if there's a legitimate opportunity to trade down and add another 2nd or 3rd, that could be the best option. Pettigrew has definite skill, but he's not worthy of the 11th overall pick. I'd love to see Buffalo drop down to around 20-25, add another 2nd, take Mack with their first (providing he's available) and use their second rounders on a BPA at a position of need-DE, SLB, or TE.

Hmmm talented but slow. I think we'd be better off looking at free agents and use our early draft picks on linemen that can help us from day one.

I agree the word slow is a tough sell for me at 11. It sounds like he might have an attitude problem as well. I know that some posters want a few thugs on the team but he is not talented enough IMO. I hope they go in another direction.

To me, these are far and away the most important words in the whole article(thanks by the way):

"Excellent on hot reads. Knows how to get open in a hurry in those situations."

This is what Edwards needs. Troy Aikman(who Edwards sorta reminds me of style-wise) once said: "I would quit this game tomorrow if Jay Novacek isn't my tight end." He meant: I will get killed if I didn't have Novacek.

Edwards needs an outlet guy, but also somebody who consistently makes you pay if you ignore him, similar to Josh Reed, but somebody closer to the line/on the other side.

Pettigrew might be a better talent, but if Coffman is smarter and runs better routes as stated, we should take Coffman. "The Derek's" have proven they can block, and even catch a little, so it's not like we need a lot of blocking help there.

I want a real weapon at TE. That helps both Edwards and ultimately, Lynch/Jackson and Evans.

I'd like Pettigrew, but I understand what everyone thinks about the idea of a "reach pick."

But what about Owen Daniels? We talked about this earlier, and how as a restricted, we would have to give up some picks.

Dont you think it would be wiser to get a guy thats proven himself for a few years, puts up good numbers than a college guy, especially if were using a #1 on a college guy?

He could contribute immediately.

The Bills would be insane to draft a tight end before the third round. The position just isn't as important as it once was since the officials started to enforce the no contact after five yard rule. This has now become a look WR first, dump pass to RB second option league. The days of TE's being a dominating force like they were a few years ago are over. It's a luxury to have a great pass catching TE who can get open. Would you want one? Of course you would! At the expense of a 1st or 2nd round pick? Not a chance! Not when you have players named Keith Ellison, Chris Kelsay and Duke Preston as starters in far more key positions.

Besides all that, Derek Fine was beginning to look like a real tight end the second half of his rookie season. It may sound crazy but he could be our Dallas Clark. Not "as good" of course, but "almost as good" which might be good enough.

I don't like the argument of a "reach". The word "reach" is something that Kiper, Mayock and the rest of the "draft guru's" use to justify who is deserving of the draft pick. At the end of the day, if a player turns out to be a good football player at any position, then it rightfully justifies the draft pick that was made. It all depends on whether the football player turns out to be good, average or a bust.

If the TE turns out to be an effective safety valve who catches 50+ receptions a year, good 3rd down option, an excellent Endzone target and a devastating blocker that adds to our running game, then drafting that player in the first round as the 11th pick makes a lot of sense to me.

Ideally I would rather address our 11th pick with an effective pass rusher or a behometh of a run clogger, but I wouldn't draft one of those positions just because of the need to draft a player of that position.

I'd like Pettigrew, but I understand what everyone thinks about the idea of a "reach pick."

But what about Owen Daniels? We talked about this earlier, and how as a restricted, we would have to give up some picks.

Dont you think it would be wiser to get a guy thats proven himself for a few years, puts up good numbers than a college guy, especially if were using a #1 on a college guy?

He could contribute immediately.

Daniels will be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd level. And, he'll command a huge contract from anyone who gives that up.

Buffalo can't afford to give up that much in picks for a TE.

Daniels will be tendered at a 1st and a 3rd level. And, he'll command a huge contract from anyone who gives that up.

Buffalo can't afford to give up that much in picks for a TE.

Daniels would have been nice, but he's not worth that much.