AstroMock 1:

Astrobot

ASTROMOCK 1  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take given the scenario?

• Maualuga ILB
    • Raji DT
    • Everette Brown DE/OLB
    • Smith OT
    • Maclin WR
    • Pettigrew TE

HOMER MINI MOCK:

Cincy is the first fork in the road. Let's say they take OT Andre Smith over Orakpo.

Brian Orakpo then goes to Oakland at 7. Orakpo is likely gone by 7 at the latest.

Jax will take OT or Maualuga--most say OT. Let's say Eugene Monroe OT.

Green Bay, who many draftniks say will draft Orakpo if he's there, will take Malcolm Jenkins. Charles Woodson is 32 and Al Harris (ruptured spleen) is 34.

Like last year, San Fran has the chance to muck it up for the Bills. They could take Raji DT, Sanchez QB, a LB again (Maualuga, Everette Brown DE/OLB, Curry if he drops) or take one of the top 3 OT's (after Oher; Monroe, Smith, Smith). They took Willis last year, and Shaun Hill is their QB. Even though Singletary is a Defense guy, they take

QB Mark Sanchez.

That takes us up to the Bills pick, where in this scenario they have quite a nice choice on the board:

Rey Maulaluga ILB--------- (at 14 on our Big Board)

BJ Raji DT -------------------(at 15 on our Big Board)

Everette Brown DE/OLB---- (at 9 on our Big Board)

Jason Smith OT Baylor -----(at 11 on our Big Board)

Jeremy Maclin WR---------- (at 13 on our Big Board)

Pettigrew TE -----------------(at 27 on our Big Board)

Is this a no-brainer for Everette Brown, who some NFL guys are saying would be a good 3-4 LB (he's 254 pounds)? Or do you grab Maualuga and push Poz outside? Or do you take Raji for an awesome 1-2 DT rush combo? Does the fact that Jason Smith is still there change your mind? Do you want the best TE in the draft (and the only one who can block as well as catch)? Notice I am NOT giving you a trade-down choice.

This will help me reshuffle our Positional Priorities at DraftTek. Thanks!

Astro

I take Brown. You don't have to be 270+ to be a pass rusher in this league. Strahan played in the 240's up to around 250 he said and we all know how effective he was against the run as well as the pass. I think Brown is a guy that we couldn't pass on if he's there. I'd take Raji if the need at DE was addressed PROPERLY in FA and not with some "journeyman" type of player.

Personally, I want the Bills to take Brian Cushing no matter where they are drafting. I don't care if the pick is too soon or whatever all that "value" crap is. I think he is the guy that is going to best help out team right away. Don't get me wrong, I like our backers but we need to upgrade Ellison's position. Cushing has been a stud for years at USC and will be in the NFL. He is play-maker that will significantly upgrade our Defense right now IMO.

Mr. Bot,

I don't know if you do your own scouting or just base your picks on website rankings, but Kiper has Maybin going 8th overall, Scouts Inc. has him 8th, and Don Banks has him going 15th in his mock, ahead of Brown. Why is he going 56th in your mock? The little I've seen of the draft this year, he looks like the best pass rusher of the group.

I take Brown. You don't have to be 270+ to be a pass rusher in this league. Strahan played in the 240's up to around 250 he said and we all know how effective he was against the run as well as the pass. I think Brown is a guy that we couldn't pass on if he's there. I'd take Raji if the need at DE was addressed PROPERLY in FA and not with some "journeyman" type of player.

I don't like the DE choices in FA, so it'd have to be a trade for a non-FA player.

There are good choices at TE, so I don't see us tkaing TE in the draft at this point.

Mr. Bot,

I don't know if you do your own scouting or just base your picks on website rankings, but Kiper has Maybin going 8th overall, Scouts Inc. has him 8th, and Don Banks has him going 15th in his mock, ahead of Brown. Why is he going 56th in your mock? The little I've seen of the draft this year, he looks like the best pass rusher of the group.

Good Point. Maybin should be ranked higher. We have a guy who tracks 3 experts' big board. I'll ask him.

This is a conservative front office. I think they'll go with the safer choice, Raji. Brown has more explosive potential/upside, but he also has a greater bust factor. If you can get the best DT in the draft - a guy who produced consistently in college (Brown was uneven), you pull the trigger. Also I expect a contract/holdout situation with Stroud this offseason...

I take Raji. We need a space eater who can draw a double team, a good player who has some experience playing in cold weather. Schobel and FA DE Canty will help the rush. Our LB's are not edge rushers in Fewell's scheme so I don't see us taking all these tweeners. I would be shocked if Strahan played at 240.

The Tampa 2 lives and dies by the pass rush of its front four. Look at the contribution Simeon Rice made to Tampa's Super Bowl season. If we could get an undersized situational pass rusher in the Simeon Rice mold, it would go a long way to upgrading our defense. That's why I voted for Brown. But I could see the argument for going with Raji, especially if you think you're getting a better football player than Brown.

Since it looks like we will not be altering the defensive scheme we use.......I can't see Raji being drafted by us. Similar to N'Gata, he does not project as the penetrator that is sought after for the T2 D.

I voted Brown but would love Peppers via FA(I'm allowed to dream)......or Suggs. With an OC selected in the 2nd......a LB signed via FA(Crowell or similar)......this would open up our 1st round pick selection. I'd take Pettigrew(though trade down if possible).

Since it looks like we will not be altering the defensive scheme we use.......I can't see Raji being drafted by us. Similar to N'Gata, he does not project as the penetrator that is sought after for the T2 D.

I voted Brown but would love Peppers via FA(I'm allowed to dream)......or Suggs. With an OC selected in the 2nd......a LB signed via FA(Crowell or similar)......this would open up our 1st round pick selection. I'd take Pettigrew(though trade down if possible).

Both Ngata and Raji are penetrators and would fit this defense like a glove. Marv said so at the time about Ngata, and his 7.5 sacks this year show it clearly about Raji. Neither guy is a space-eater, both are penetrators who are both extremely strong as well, Pat Williams types.

I think Raji, partly because a DT who gets sacks is what turns a Tampa Two from decent to dominating, and partly because I think he's the most unique player at a position of need for the Bills in this draft, with the exception of Pettigrew, the only athletically talented TE in this draft who is also a ferocious blocker, which is what the Bills have said over and over that they want.

There are several DEs who are quick and athletic this year, six or seven, really. Obviously the sixth and seventh best aren't quite as good as the 2nd and 3rd best. But they are closer (IMHO) than any other DT is to Raji. And I think DT is a bigger need than TE, and that Raji is just higher-ranked than Pettigrew.

The Tampa 2 lives and dies by the pass rush of its front four. Look at the contribution Simeon Rice made to Tampa's Super Bowl season. If we could get an undersized situational pass rusher in the Simeon Rice mold, it would go a long way to upgrading our defense. That's why I voted for Brown. But I could see the argument for going with Raji, especially if you think you're getting a better football player than Brown.

Rice was not undersized, nor was he situational EA. He is listed at having been 6'5"/268, and I remember him playing strong at his position.