Kollar's departure not a lateral move

Kollar's new job at Houston is a promotion....he's now the Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line Coach. I hope they like yelling down there.

I'm not that sad at all that Bill Kollar is gone. I live in St. Louis where he used to coach, and I mentioned when the Bills hired him that he yelled a lot, but I didn't see anything spectacular going on with that line. If he had a part in deciding who to keep on the DL in Buffalo, the motor guys who had a top individual number of 4 sacks....and he failed to develop John McCargo.

Remember this next year when McCargo becomes a good solid player. He did not develop under Kollar. A first round pick must contribute.

I hope they get somebody competent in there.

Kollar's new job at Houston is a promotion....he's now the Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line Coach. I hope they like yelling down there.

I'm not that sad at all that Bill Kollar is gone. I live in St. Louis where he used to coach, and I mentioned when the Bills hired him that he yelled a lot, but I didn't see anything spectacular going on with that line. If he had a part in deciding who to keep on the DL in Buffalo, the motor guys who had a top individual number of 4 sacks....and he failed to develop John McCargo.

Remember this next year when McCargo becomes a good solid player. He did not develop under Kollar. A first round pick must contribute.

I hope they get somebody competent in there.

He yelled a lot? McCargo didn't develop because he showed up fat and out of shape year after year. He was lazy at NC State and is lazy here. A coach can only take you so far. And the rest of the Dline outside of Stroud are all backups. I could care less about Kollar because Dline coaches are a dime a dozen, they aren't teaching crazy new techniques. BTW, most coaches yell.

Imagine the conversation between former teammates McCargo and Mario.

Difficult/impossible to tell why Kollar's unit wasn't more effective here. His history tells us he wants an aggressive line and he has the sack #s to back it up. But, was that because of personnel? Was the drop off here because of the Bills scheme/talent?

He yelled a lot? McCargo didn't develop because he showed up fat and out of shape year after year. He was lazy at NC State and is lazy here. A coach can only take you so far. And the rest of the Dline outside of Stroud are all backups. I could care less about Kollar because Dline coaches are a dime a dozen, they aren't teaching crazy new techniques. BTW, most coaches yell.

Kollar is FAMOUS for yelling. I went to a couple Rams' practices and you could hear that guy screaming from the parking lot.

My point is, there was something there with McCargo that caused the Bills to move up. From what we were told, the Giants were set to draft McCargo. Clearly he has some abilities, or he would not have been chosen in the first round. I know there are many examples of first round duds, don't need to read about them.

However, the Colts attempted to trade for the guy, so that tells me he has some value. He's not just a chunk of dead meat. I think he'll get healthy and become a very good lineman someplace. Stroud can't play forever.

I thought McCargo's real problem was injuries, not poor coaching. But, nonetheless, I'm pretty sure the Bills can replace Kollar, just fine.

It was DESIRE that he lacked! Maybe the right coach can turn him around, but if there is no Desire, there is no hope. B.J. Raji!

It was DESIRE that he lacked! Maybe the right coach can turn him around, but if there is no Desire, there is no hope. B.J. Raji!

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was injuries. Desire may be an issue, but when you are injured, it is really not the biggest issue.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was injuries. Desire may be an issue, but when you are injured, it is really not the biggest issue.

True, he did have a back problem when we tried to trade him. I think its a combination of things really. I really dont see him with the Bills next season. But, I wish the kid the best and I hope he can turn it around if not here in Buffalo then somewhere else.....

My point is, there was something there with McCargo that caused the Bills to move up. From what we were told, the Giants were set to draft McCargo. Clearly he has some abilities, or he would not have been chosen in the first round. I know there are many examples of first round duds, don't need to read about them.

However, the Colts attempted to trade for the guy, so that tells me he has some value. He's not just a chunk of dead meat. I think he'll get healthy and become a very good lineman someplace. Stroud can't play forever.

To this day I don't believe the Giants were truly serious about drafting McCargo. They had Alford and Robbins already. I didn't see them addressing their DT depth with a first round pick. Instead, NYG selected Mathias Kiwanuka to replace Strahan who they figured would retire imminently. The Giants don't miss all that often on 1st rounders.

McCargo's athleticism was probably the item they loved, but the front office was delighted so much that they ignored or didn't know about his lack of motivation. And they discounted the fact that McCargo played close to Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, two other first rounders.

The Colts were desperate for help at DT, because they run the same defense. I think it was ironic that McCargo was returned so quickly under the guise of a "failed physical." McCargo has little value to anything but T2/C2 teams. And if he couldn't play in Buffalo, I don't see anyone picking him up. He is a bust and will struggle to make any roster with his poor work ethic.

True, he did have a back problem when we tried to trade him. I think its a combination of things really. I really dont see him with the Bills next season. But, I wish the kid the best and I hope he can turn it around if not here in Buffalo then somewhere else.....

Yes. I have nothing against the kid, but something is wrong. While I hate using the word "bust" on a player, he has been a bust, so far, for the Bills. It's too bad, because he showed some real flashes of talent, early on.

Yes. I have nothing against the kid, but something is wrong. While I hate using the word "bust" on a player, he has been a bust, so far, for the Bills. It's too bad, because he showed some real flashes of talent, early on.

I'm really curious, but......what other DT's were in the boards when Buffalo traded back into the first to grab McCargo? I dont like calling players a bust, but I find myself doing it regardless, but....I think in this case, it might be called a blunder by the front office! but I am curious what DT's were on the boards after he was picked.

:lol:

McCargo simply was overrated by the Bills' front office, who traded 2 high picks to get him. Couple that with his terrible work ethic and you have a body of work that the Bills were desperate to ship out of town.

Bill Kollar is one of the most respected DL coaches in the league. If you think he's responsible for McCargo being a bust, I want whatever you're smoking down there in St. Louis! :)

:)

McCargo simply was overrated by the Bills' front office, who traded 2 high picks to get him. Couple that with his terrible work ethic and you have a body of work that the Bills were desperate to ship out of town.

Bill Kollar is one of the most respected DL coaches in the league. If you think he's responsible for McCargo being a bust, I want whatever you're smoking down there in St. Louis! ;)

Bill Kollar is one of the most respected DL coaches in the league. If you think he's responsible for McCargo being a bust, I want whatever you're smoking down there in St. Louis! :)

I don't know where this respect for Kollar comes from. I was here when all he did was yell at a bunch of guys. At one point they had 3 first round defensive linemen, and they all were flops. He was loud, and they did not produce. One of them, Ryan Pickett, only flourished after Kollar left. The other two were Jimmy Kennedy and Damione Lewis....both highly regarded coming out of college.

I've heard that drafting DT is one of the riskier moves. I don't know about that. But they sure couldn't get much out of that position when Kollar was here in St. Louis.

I don't smoke dope. I drink a lot. Nevertheless, I just don't think Kollar is that good of a coach. I don't know if McCargo's failure thusfar is due to poor coaching, lazy attitude, injuries, or what. I do believe that he will have a fresh look from a new coach. What's the harm with having him come to camp?