Bills setting themselves up

BillsVet

Since 2001, it's safe to say the Bills have never lived up to fan or team expectations. Five years of TD proved to be more hype than results. Many thought Buffalo's fortunes would change with Marv Levy returning as GM. That also was more hype than anything else and the tally is nine consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance.

Central to everything the Bills do, whether it is on the field or off, is how to conduct their PR effort to hype this team. Even when things can't get any worse, management never fails to offer a ray of hope on why fans should remain positive. We've already seen that happening this year, despite going 2-8 in their final ten and losing games in heartbreaking fashion. Predictably, the idea of continuity was drummed into fans' collective heads by the PR folks when the decision was made to keep DJ.

Hyping an under-performing product ad nauseam eventually will have the effect of creating an untenable situation. It will be similar to a volcano just prior to erupting and if the team gets off to a bad start, everything will boil over and explode.

Buffalo has been buying time since Levy arrived with the accompanying spin. This year, I finally think fans will show their displeasure and read between the lines. This team's goal seems more in-line with keeping costs down to set up the best conditions for a lucrative sale after the owner passes. In the meantime, the hype will continue. At what cost, we'll find out.

I think we'll find out how serious this team is about improving when free agency starts and after the draft.

It's not difficult to please Bills fans and all it will take is bringing in a few decent names and we'll be as excited as ever for the opening kick off of the next season.

If they really address the following needs, people will have hope: DE, C, TE, LB, Veteran QB. It doesn't seem like the most difficult thing to do.

Since 2001, it's safe to say the Bills have never lived up to fan or team expectations. Five years of TD proved to be more hype than results. Many thought Buffalo's fortunes would change with Marv Levy returning as GM. That also was more hype than anything else and the tally is nine consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance.

Central to everything the Bills do, whether it is on the field or off, is how to conduct their PR effort to hype this team. Even when things can't get any worse, management never fails to offer a ray of hope on why fans should remain positive. We've already seen that happening this year, despite going 2-8 in their final ten and losing games in heartbreaking fashion. Predictably, the idea of continuity was drummed into fans' collective heads by the PR folks when the decision was made to keep DJ.

Hyping an under-performing product ad nauseam eventually will have the effect of creating an untenable situation. It will be similar to a volcano just prior to erupting and if the team gets off to a bad start, everything will boil over and explode.

Buffalo has been buying time since Levy arrived with the accompanying spin. This year, I finally think fans will show their displeasure and read between the lines. This team's goal seems more in-line with keeping costs down to set up the best conditions for a lucrative sale after the owner passes. In the meantime, the hype will continue. At what cost, we'll find out.

Ralph is 90 and wrapping things up. It's pretty certain that fiancially, he can't pass it on to his family, so like any business owner, he's got to position his business for sale. Like just about anyone, his priority is most likely, family first. Who knows, he may already have the new owner(s) lined up and is setting the stage for that transaction.

I think we'll find out how serious this team is about improving when free agency starts and after the draft.

It's not difficult to please Bills fans and all it will take is bringing in a few decent names and we'll be as excited as ever for the opening kick off of the next season.

If they really address the following needs, people will have hope: DE, C, TE, LB, Veteran QB. It doesn't seem like the most difficult thing to do.

:wallbash:

In the words of James Hetfield, "You know it's sad, but truuuuuuuuuue". I am one who was going to become a Lions fan after the retaining of Jauron. I just can't do it. It would never really feel like my favorite team. I think that I will always hold out hope, no matter what. I always remember the Rams of 1999, the Falcons of this year, and the Dolphins of this year as examples of how quickly it can turn around. So, sadly, I'll always hope. Falsely or justified. :blink:

In the words of James Hetfield, "You know it's sad, but truuuuuuuuuue". I am one who was going to become a Lions fan after the retaining of Jauron. I just can't do it. It would never really feel like my favorite team. I think that I will always hold out hope, no matter what. I always remember the Rams of 1999, the Falcons of this year, and the Dolphins of this year as examples of how quickly it can turn around. So, sadly, I'll always hope. Falsely or justified. :blink:

There is never anything wrong with hope. Ever. It is the only thing that saves us from the meaninglessness of existence.

Anyone who disparages the importance of hope is either lying to themselves, or is such an insufferable tool they have lost their grip on humanity.

Go Bills!

For better or worse (usually the latter), this is my team and that's how it's going to be until they die (move) or I do. Things can turn around quickly, even if we haven't been proof of that (9 years of hell). I could never support or get into another team like I do with the Bills. The only time I've ever cared about another team is when I had a few bucks on a game. And even that is just different. I'm still looking forward to the draft and free agency.

If Buffalo sits there in FA and does nothing, it says they dont care about the fans and that they pretty much dont give a damn in general. I cant imagine them doing that though. Money is the key to them......they want it and they know damn well they need to be active in FA to make the fans excited.

But then again, I just wouldnt be shocked to see the team sit still in FA......with the old fart for an owner, nothing will shock me.

Every Bills fan ought to demand some sort of accountability from what looks like a minor league franchise. If that's whining, then there are plenty of fans across the NFL who are major whiners.

This isn't Philly or Pittsburgh where success is demanded. A culture has developed in Buffalo where losing is taken in stride and fans quickly forget how bad the Bills are. What's more, this franchise is setting new standards for never becoming good enough or terrible. This season has all the makings of being terrible. A schedule that could be brutal, combined with a coach with no clue.

It's going to get ugly in 09.

I think the Bills are in "epic" trouble for 2009 per below:

1. Edwards showed to be up and down in 2nd year, and has a history in the Pro's and college of not being able to

complete a full season uninjured. This will continue.

2. The AFC East opponents took steps forward (NY and MIA) and steps back (NE) and will be better IMO in '09.

3. You can't have a coach or staff cost you several games every year, which will also continue.

4. The Bills schedule sets up to be much more difficult on '09.

2009 may end up being the 5-11 season which is the catalyst for yet another rebuild.

QB play will continue to be an issue.

2009 may end up being the 5-11 season which is the catalyst for yet another rebuild.

QB play will continue to be an issue.

As if the problems on the field aren't bad enough, the front office still believes it can spin anything to get the fans back.

Trent still has much to prove, but his HC has demonstrated he's poor. Inept coaching, poor talent evaluators, and an owner afraid to let anyone make decisions for him are holding this franchise back.

If fans think 7-9 isn't good enough, and I don't, wait until this season rolls around. The stage has been set for a drop from the mediocre ranks.

Every Bills fan ought to demand some sort of accountability from what looks like a minor league franchise. If that's whining, then there are plenty of fans across the NFL who are major whiners.

Dude,

This year was a great disapointment. However we don't look like a minor league franchise. You guys can be such freakin drama queens on here! I remember 1984 and 1985 2-14 back to back. It was in those times that we looked like a minor league franchise. We are alot closer than many of you think we are. The needs possitionally are well documented. We also need to figure out why a 3/4 "D" destroys our offense. Outside of our division we were 7-3 this year and easily should have been 9-1. Even if we went 3-3 in our division that would have been 10-6. I can't remember another year that we were swept in our division except maybe 1984 and 1985. I'm simply saying that this is abnormal and I think you can expect a much better division record next year. With the right moves I think we can go 12-4 next year. Don't be so doom and gloom oreinted. The negative thinking by the fans can wear off on the team. Good karma really can create a possitive energy which will help the team.

This isn't Philly or Pittsburgh where success is demanded. A culture has developed in Buffalo where losing is taken in stride and fans quickly forget how bad the Bills are. What's more, this franchise is setting new standards for never becoming good enough or terrible. This season has all the makings of being terrible. A schedule that could be brutal, combined with a coach with no clue.

It's going to get ugly in 09.

Judging a season in January is flat out retarded. I'm sure you had the Fins and Falcons in the playoffs at this time last year?

And no offense because I do think you have a good knowledge of the game, but what is the point of posts like this? You don't think Bills fan know that things look grim. And for all the talk about Philly or Pittsburgh, you really think their ownership listens to their fans? :thumbsup: The Eagles fans booed the drafting of McNabb and wanted him and Andy Reid out of town earlier this year. Plain and simple, 95% of fans are morons.

Here's the thing. I hate bringing back Jauron, but if you think anyone cares more about winning than him, you're just wrong. The man has a resume most people could only dream. A lot will be told this offseason. If the Bills address their obvious needs properly (pass rushing, OLB, interior o-line, TE), I will once again be very hopeful. But whining (yes, that's what it seems like to me) in January is plain silly. A lot can change (hopefully).

Judging a season in January is flat out retarded. I'm sure you had the Fins and Falcons in the playoffs at this time last year?

And no offense because I do think you have a good knowledge of the game, but what is the point of posts like this? You don't think Bills fan know that things look grim. And for all the talk about Philly or Pittsburgh, you really think their ownership listens to their fans? :thumbsup: The Eagles fans booed the drafting of McNabb and wanted him and Andy Reid out of town earlier this year. Plain and simple, 95% of fans are morons.

Here's the thing. I hate bringing back Jauron, but if you think anyone cares more about winning than him, you're just wrong. The man has a resume most people could only dream. A lot will be told this offseason. If the Bills address their obvious needs properly (pass rushing, OLB, interior o-line, TE), I will once again be very hopeful. But whining (yes, that's what it seems like to me) in January is plain silly. A lot can change (hopefully).

You're missing the point entirely. The Bills have been bad to mediocre for nine seasons and all the while have depended on spin to attract fans. At some point, spin will not be enough to convince fans this team is headed in the right direction.

Eventually, people or organizations that cannot deliver the goods and rely on hype are revealed as empty. Buffalo has miscalculated that its fans will return no matter what in 2009. Regardless, the Toronto experiment, poor showing in 08, and retention of DJ will not soon be forgotten spin or no spin.

Any reasonable fan should ask for results after 3 rebuilding seasons. This question was partially answered when DJ was retained, despite losing 8 of 10 and blowing a 5-1 start. That tells me all I need to know, in that the team relies on PR to get fans, not actual results anymore.