2009 draft- how great would this be

mjohns85

so all it will take is a good draft and we are playoff bound? gimme a friggin break. our bonehead front office could screw up a wet dream. lets just say this senario happens we get all three, frick, we get Orakpo,Mack and Coffman, one of these guys will be a bust and the other two will take time to develop into the players they were in COLLEGE( you know that place where not everyone you play is pro caliber?) Instead, every year, from late december till mid July there is BS sense of optimism that some how, this front office, regardless of year after year after year of stupid decisions, poor drafting, completly flabergasting Free agent moves and a "piss down your back and tell you its rainning" media spin from Chris Brown, belief that some how, some way, this year is different.

Do yourselves a favor, cancel your season tickets(I did, anyone want 2 seats in the Van Miller club can PM me) get a frickin hobby that doesnt involve speculating about a pack of carreer losers and check back in with these losers sometime in the 1st week of september if you are interested in a rerun of the past 10 myear.

I want to puke. sorry for my rant.

I love how you give up season tickets, say this team makes you vomit, yet you have so little else going on in your life that you waste time telling people about it on a message board dedicated to the very team you say makes you sick. And you call the Bills a bunch of losers...

I dont see how Johnson does not fit our scheme. He is pretty much a prototypical 4-3 end. Add 20 lbs of muscle and he is a physical twin to Peppers and Mario Williams. That being said, I dont think he is as good as Brown. Brown looks likes and plays like Freeny. Similar size and skill set. However in college Johnson has played both right and left end, and I think he could in the pros as well. Brown I feel would never line up on the left side.

Secondly, Drafting Mack and Coffman 2-3 is a pipedream. We can pobably count on getting one of those guys in the second, but both will be gone by the third. I think best chances of filling those holes are 1-DE, 2-TE (Coffman or Pettigrew) 3- Best C left, maybe needing to trade back into the 2nd to make sure. I would be fine with that considering it would cost a 4th or 5th.

Thoner7, FSU moved Everette Brown all over their defensive line. He lined up on the left, right and even at NT like Bruce Smith used to do with the Bills. Johnson is a "potential" guy, the Bills need an "impact" guy with the 11th pick in the draft.

Who would you suggest?

I agree that many of Mack's talents would not be utlized in such a basic offensive line scheme such as the Bills...line up and maul the guy in front of you. Mack seems to be good at many types of blocking, but definitely has great mobility.

I also think talent is talent and we need more of it.

What mobility is needed, the center only has to go forward, left and to the right. Remeber gurads and tackle do most of the pulling anyway, this is an excellent fit . No end in this draft is going to be their when we pick.

I was pissy last nite. I had to vent. I really havent since the end of teh season. Its part of the greiving process. denial, pleading, ANGER, guilt, acceptance. Next week it will be all my fault the bills couldnt win their way out of a wet paper bag.

sorry to offend you robkmil, I dont want to anger you and your ability to tell people to leave the board. your opinion means too much to me.

he has brought in free agents the past few years--The Bills are smart when it comes to marketing, at least Brandon is. He knows some people need to be signed to be able to sell tickets.

solid point. they will bring some people in. it will be a lot like last year. draft some neat players. sign a couple 2 tier but good FAs and then go sell tickets...

When will people stop looking at rankings and start actually watching the players play?

Alex Mack and Michael Johnson DO NOT fit the style of player we need. Just because they are ranked at the top of their positions doesn't mean we should draft them. Christ.

please help me understand why a 6-7, 260lbs pass-rushing DE with 4.6 speed DOES NOT fit in our pathetic defensive line?

Um... probably because he is a lighter (in strength) center who's strengths are getting out to the linebackers, pulling on toss plays, being agile, athletic and very smart, and doesn't do well at all when there's a DT over his nose. He struggles in the run game pushing the nose tackle back, and gets bull rushed very easily. Definitely NOT the style we need when we face 3-4 defenses and he's going to have to handle Vince Wilfork, Kris Jenkins, and Jason Ferguson 6 times next year, not to mention Pittsburgh and any other 3-4 team we face next season.

We need a center that can handle the big man over his face and can get some push in the run game.

To answer the other poster's question, I recommend Antoine Caldwell or Max Unger, because they fit the bill to a tee.

This is nonsense. "gets bull rushed very easily?" Mack has dominated every DT he's played for the past two years. Where are all the successful bull rushes? They are in the imagination of draft gurus who must attempt to find a weakness in the game of a guy who really doesn't seem to have one.

Yes, he's very agile. For a 320 pounder, which he is. But he's not a ballet master, he's very big and tough. Yeah, you will see the "MAY not be quite as good at handling the bull rush" on some sites. Emphasis on MAY. He's handled everything thrown at him.

Look at the ratings on ANY player in this draft. They all have qualifications. Larry Fitzgerald was considered possibly not quite fast enough. There's always a few caveats, because nobody short of Buddha is perfect. That in no way means that you take those tiny caveats as huge weaknesses.

I will bow down to the Bills FO if they land a premier DE in Rd1, get Mack next and then Coffman n the 3rd...that would just be sick...

Add in some quality at LB through FA...oh man, what an offseason that would be...

As I continue to dream, we somehow lure Dawkins out of Philly to give us some attitude on D and show Whitner how to lead by example and truly be feared at Safety...

I think I just felt my left nipple perk up...

Not 100% convinced about Johnson. There are questions. Awfully athletic but while he's productive, he's not 11th-pick productive.

The guy in the article says we might have to move up to the late first to get Mack. He's right. Pittsburgh among others would love to snap him up in the first.

Coffman could last till our 3rd round pick, but it's sure not definite.

I wouldn't want to see us pick Johnson over, say, Everette. Mack and Coffman would be terrific, IMHO.

This is nonsense. "gets bull rushed very easily?" Mack has dominated every DT he's played for the past two years. Where are all the successful bull rushes? They are in the imagination of draft gurus who must attempt to find a weakness in the game of a guy who really doesn't seem to have one.

Yes, he's very agile. For a 320 pounder, which he is. But he's not a ballet master, he's very big and tough. Yeah, you will see the "MAY not be quite as good at handling the bull rush" on some sites. Emphasis on MAY. He's handled everything thrown at him.

Look at the ratings on ANY player in this draft. They all have qualifications. Larry Fitzgerald was considered possibly not quite fast enough. There's always a few caveats, because nobody short of Buddha is perfect. That in no way means that you take those tiny caveats as huge weaknesses.

I don't get my opinions off websites or "draft gurus." Maybe that's YOUR problem. You read instead of watch.

so all it will take is a good draft and we are playoff bound? gimme a friggin break. our bonehead front office could screw up a wet dream. lets just say this senario happens we get all three, frick, we get Orakpo,Mack and Coffman, one of these guys will be a bust and the other two will take time to develop into the players they were in COLLEGE( you know that place where not everyone you play is pro caliber?) Instead, every year, from late december till mid July there is BS sense of optimism that some how, this front office, regardless of year after year after year of stupid decisions, poor drafting, completly flabergasting Free agent moves and a "piss down your back and tell you its rainning" media spin from Chris Brown, belief that some how, some way, this year is different.

Do yourselves a favor, cancel your season tickets(I did, anyone want 2 seats in the Van Miller club can PM me) get a frickin hobby that doesnt involve speculating about a pack of carreer losers and check back in with these losers sometime in the 1st week of september if you are interested in a rerun of the past 10 myear.

I want to puke. sorry for my rant.

I hate people like this!!!

When will people stop looking at rankings and start actually watching the players play?

Alex Mack and Michael Johnson DO NOT fit the style of player we need. Just because they are ranked at the top of their positions doesn't mean we should draft them. Christ.

enlighten me, why not Mack?

Um... probably because he is a lighter (in strength) center who's strengths are getting out to the linebackers, pulling on toss plays, being agile, athletic and very smart, and doesn't do well at all when there's a DT over his nose. He struggles in the run game pushing the nose tackle back, and gets bull rushed very easily. Definitely NOT the style we need when we face 3-4 defenses and he's going to have to handle Vince Wilfork, Kris Jenkins, and Jason Ferguson 6 times next year, not to mention Pittsburgh and any other 3-4 team we face next season.

We need a center that can handle the big man over his face and can get some push in the run game.

To answer the other poster's question, I recommend Antoine Caldwell or Max Unger, because they fit the bill to a tee.

wow you couldnt be more wrong. Mack is great at the point of attack and holds his ground well. He weighs in at about 310 and its a solid 310. Id rather have a smart guy with great footwork than a donut monster who relies on his weight. Centers normally are the lightest guys on the line. WHile I cant argue with your other suggestions you are wrong on Mack. He picks the blitz up like a vet and pulls and seals off the corners like a pro. In the right system if he adds 10lbs he will be a force.