Leftwhich high on bills FA board?

K-Gun10

Leftwich suitors lining up

By Chris Brown - Posted January 12th, 2009

Looks like the teams interested in soon to be free agent QB Byron Leftwich are already lining up as the Chicago Bears figure to be one team that’s interested and they may even offer him an opportunity to compete for the starting job, as their GM Jerry Angelo called QB their #1 offseason priority.

I’ve said in a couple of different places that he’s probably the best backup option on the market for the Bills this offseason, who will be in the market for a #2 QB with the anticipated departure of J.P. Losman.

But I can’t see the Bills giving Leftwich or any other backup QB candidate the promise that they’ll compete for the starting job, with Trent Edwards entrenched in that role.

So a player like Leftwich, who wants to start in the league again, will likely look for better opportunities to start elsewhere, thereby lessening the chances of Buffalo signing a backup of his caliber.

It’s unclear at this time if Buffalo is even interested in Leftwich, but he’s certainly had a promising season in the times he’s been called upon to step in for Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh.

Tags: Byron Leftwich, J.P. Losman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically we will get a D rate backup for next year cause moron Chris Brown says Trent is entrenched at the QB spot. So when Trent goes down for his once a year injury for 5 games who will we have to depend on? Hamdan? What a joke!

That pass Limas Sweed dropped yesterday from Leftwhich was a beautiful pass.....we have not see those since the Kelly years.

So basically we will get a D rate backup for next year cause moron Chris Brown says Trent is entrenched at the QB spot. So when Trent goes down for his once a year injury for 5 games who will we have to depend on? Hamdan? What a joke!

That pass Limas Sweed dropped yesterday from Leftwhich was a beautiful pass.....we have not see those since the Kelly years.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you here, but we did see nice bombs from Flutie. I saw him throw several in a blizzard at the Ralph myself. Also saw RJ throw a couple against the 49ers at the Ralph too. Seems some guy named KP or something threw a few too over the last several years.

I've been impressed with Leftwich when I've seen him play this year. Bring him in and open it up in training camp. If Trent truly is the "the guy" he'll win it. If not, then we got a better QB than we had.

We gotta do something.

The scariest part of that statement is that the Bills brass has trent entrenched as the starter.

Why? Losman got a 3rd season. I think every QB deserves 3 seasons to prove themselves. If people had real expectations and understood that Edwards was in his 2nd season, he had what most people would expect from a 2nd year QB. A lot of highs and lows. His numbers look alot like most QBs 2nd year in the NFL. Is it better to just switch QBs every 2 years?

I know it is popular to hate every Bills related, but I still think Trent will be a good QB. As for Leftwich, I love the guy's toughness and guts. But he is the black Drew Bledsoe. I'd still take him as a backup though.

I’ve said in a couple of different places that he’s probably the best backup option on the market for the Bills this offseason, who will be in the market for a #2 QB with the anticipated departure of J.P. Losman.

Rex Grossman is a better option

I wish the Bills could get Kerry Collins and have him compete for the No. 1 job, but I guess The Windmill would be an OK choice.

Collins threw 12 tds and 7 ints and averaged less than 150 yards passing. He was carried by the Titans run game and defense. I'd much rather have Trent at this point.

The Bills should sign him if nothing more than the fact he reminds me of Gary Coleman. What chu talkin' about Willis? Well, Willis is about to be playing for a chance to go to the superbowl, and the Bills haven't been "talkin' proud" in a playoff sort of way for a decade. :wallbash:

The scariest part of that statement is that the Bills brass has trent entrenched as the starter.

Ralph is "entrenched" as the Bills owner

and

DICK is "entrenched" as the coach.... at the end of the day does it really matter???

Trent Edwards is gonna prove all you morons wrong that doubt him!!! Having said that I would think that we have a good shot at landing a quality backup to a one year contract.... Quarterbacks will feel they have a decent shot at becoming a starting quarterback here due to Trent's Injury history and his percieved inexperience.....