Losman going to play at all this year?

The_Real

If he doesn't there will be great lamentations on TSW as folks want their candy and they want it now.

However, given the history of the NFL where folks like Vick and Pennington sat virtually all (if not all) of their rookie seasons and came back to make the playoffs in their second seasons. Given that major QB investments like Carson Palmer have been sat their whole first year. And also that Losman is clearly our QB of the future and his development must include some playing time for him to learn to play at NFL speeds and to be a leader, but his bigger development needs are learning the Bills O, learning NFL O & D tendencies, and working on his mechanics, I can easily seeit being the best thing for his development to sit most if not all of this year.

The desire to get the best player in there right now and our impatience may drive this process. However, given JPs needs and skills and past experience, the Bills could easily be better off by waiting until next year and having him pull a Pennington or Vick in terms of his 2nd year production.

Ironicaally, the injury earlier this season may have accelerated his learning what he must learn to be a productive pro if he spent time learning the game from the booth instead of being one of the boys on the sideline and if he made Sam Wyche his daddy so that they qucikly and easily iron out his mechanics now that he can practice.

If he doesn't there will be great lamentations on TSW as folks want their candy and they want it now.

However, given the history of the NFL where folks like Vick and Pennington sat virtually all (if not all) of their rookie seasons and came back to make the playoffs in their second seasons. 

92301[/snapback]

You keep giving Vick as an expample of how sitting is benificial. This is about the worst example you could give. Did sitting a year teach him how to take off running? It surely hasn't helped his passing game. Pennington I'll give you, but there's no proof that the guy wouldn't have been just as effective had he played immediately. What about Palmer? Has sitting helped him? What about Rothelsburger? Should he be sitting?

I think everyone will be amazed how much better our O-Line will seem with a mobile and aware QB behind them.

PTR

92339[/snapback]

I second this as well. Defenses blitz like crazy because Bledsoe is not as mobile. The defenses will stop blitzing as much when they discover it is not as effective against JP who is a more mobile QB.

You keep giving Vick as an expample of how sitting is benificial.  This is about the worst example you could give.  Did sitting a year teach him how to take off running?  It surely hasn't helped his passing game.  Pennington I'll give you, but there's no proof that the guy wouldn't have been just as effective had he played immediately.  What about Palmer?  Has sitting helped him?  What about Rothelsburger?  Should he be sitting?

92304[/snapback]

I agree that what applies to Vick as a player does not apply to l:os,am as a player. I also agree that what applies to Pennington is a much better fit for what JP brings to the game than Vick.

However, I don't think that the example of Pennington really applies to Losman because though thre are some similarities (draft position, leadership potential) I think the example of one player does not determine at all what should be done with another player. Even if their skillsets were virtually the same, for any individual these pieces are put together in different orders and the ball bounces different ways. No example is determinative and many examples are indicative.

I site these two examples for a couple of reasons:

1. I am arguomg against a determinative finding rooted in the coventional wisdom which I think is wrong that a player must play QB a lot before he can be productive at the position, Both Vick and Pennington provide examples against the conventional wisdom that JP must start now or next seasopn is lost for him. There are two examples where rookie QBs sat and made the playoffs their first year. Perhaps someone can convincingly argue that what applies to Vick does not apply to JP (I'd generally agree) and what applies to Pennington does not apply to JP (I think JP is actually more talented), nut I'd prefer t see posters make that argument rather than trot out the idea JP must play for his and the Bills benefit now or we are billsfanone next year as though this is an inarguable point.

2. These two examples are very recent and under the current salary cap.

Citing Vick is not meant to be determinative of JPs fate, it is meant to undercut the uncritical opinion that he must start and start now and the idea that rookies get nothing from watching the game from the bench.

Since he seems to have no ill physical effects from his injury, we may look back and getting hurt was actually the best thing that could have happened for JPs development into a contributing QB for the Bills. It got rid of annoying and unrealistic calls for him to start for 2-3 months and allowed him to focus on understanding the game rather than playing the game.

I think everyone will be amazed how much better our O-Line will seem with a mobile and aware QB behind them.

PTR

92339[/snapback]

I have to agree. I like Drew but the way to getting to him and our offense is too simple. Just Blitz. I think when you have a mobile QB it makes everyone look better due to the fact that the defense has another area to cover which is the QB running out of the backfield.

No. Absolutely not!

JP is our "Number One Draft pick NEXT year!" - as well documented previously here and in the media. Who are you to interfer with Tommy DonnaHo's big plans? Why, didn't you and your ilk learn anything from the Troy (now-I-hits-him, now-I-don'ts) Vincent's rough play of late summer? JP is fragile and he's too precious to use up this year. He's supposed to ride the pine and learn by osmosis from the great leader who's currently slinging the pigskin down the field.

Hey, with Bledsow on a recordbreaking track this year, I mean, what's the point in putting in a rookie? I mean if we weren't going anywhere this season, or if Drew didn't have so many important records to set I might see the logic of putting in someone else. But this suggestion simply leaves me baffled! :)

Drew's balls must be in his throat by now. He's got so many athletic supporters around here, the elastic has to be intense.

Did any of you think about how much better the Pat's O line got when Brady replaced Drew? All this talk about weather or not JP should play this year and no discussion about how the Patriot's game changed once their franchise QB went down. Even Bellichik couldn't make the call without Mo Lewis knocking out Drew. How about using JP in the red zone to start. DB does all right when he has 30 or more yds in front of him.