Can it be true there is so much iognorance here?

Just reading over some of these threads, I was wondering if the majority of people on here really believe that it is a good move to hand over the starting job to McGahee, and that Henry should be on his way out?

Surely, MOST people on this board cannot be that illogical.  Please, give me some faith in BILLS FANS!

Travis Henry has been an extraordainry NFL back the last two years, our best player during that period, and is one of the top five backs in this league.

And people think we should replace him with a player who has proven....what??? Absolutely nothing and is coming off a HUGE injury.

If it's true, that most people on this board believe this, what illogical people! Probably the same people who thought it was a good idea to hand Rob Johnson Millions (and the Jaguars our pick(s)) because of his two good starts.  ( I said at the time it was the most illogical move in the history of this franchise.  This move is right up there.)

In any case, this is the same misguided, illlogical reasoning that allowed that move, which in my mind, was the beginning of a major decline.

PLEASE, say it aint so!  Please say that only a tiny minority are this uninformed..................................................

92273[/snapback]

I was going to bring up the fact that Travis has been outplayed by more than ten backs in 2002 - 2003, but Kzoo Mike beat me to it! So instead I'll say this: when TD was the GM in Pittsburgh, he drafted Barry Foster. A few years later, he replaced Foster with Bam Morris. I'm sure that many of Pittsburgh's fans screamed about this change, but going forward Morris produced a lot more than Foster did. Foster was basically done, even though he hadn't been in the league for a very long time. A few years later, TD replaced the (now proven) Bam Morris with Natrone Means. That change also worked out well, because after he did that Means achieved a lot more than Morris did.

TD isn't very sentimental about holding onto a RB once it becomes clear that the RB is done.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about ignorant...if you think Henry is a top 5RB in this league you don't watch any other teams play but the Bills...

92302[/snapback]

You spelled ignorant wrong; it's IGNORANT!

Top 5 back is absolutely ridiculous!! Get a clue buddy. And Bledsoe is a top 10 QB right?

You spelled ignorant wrong; it's IGNORANT!

Top 5 back is absolutely ridiculous!! Get a clue buddy. And Bledsoe is a top 10 QB right?

92419[/snapback]

I meant to quote the original poster who knows nothing about RB's.

Don't we often hear this kind of "logic" from fans and pundits whenever there's new talent on the team and a decent journeyman incumbent?

Anybody remember Thurman Thomas' rookie year. He was too green to put in because Ronnie (the space shield) dis-Harmon(y) was SOOOOOOOOOO good. Right. He was good enough to drop a TD pass in the endzone in Cleveland, that's for sure.

OJ was returning punts his rookie year because he "might not be ready yet" to run in the pros.

Bookend Moore had Guillain-Barre disease his rookie year. So, ok, he couldn't start - even though No-Knox seemed to want him to.

Terry Miller had a pretty good rookie year, but as I remember sorta hit the skids thereafter.

The Outlaw Jose Cribbs didn't get a lot of time his rookie year due to Curtis Brown (if I'm remembering right).

So. You married to Travis? Your sister dating him or something?

He giving you a slice of his bonus money for making the ProBowl? :)

If the coaches think Willis is the better player, then let's get behind them.

That's the logic isn't it for continuing to play Bledough?

The Outlaw Jose Cribbs didn't get a lot of time his rookie year due to Curtis Brown (if I'm remembering right).

92421[/snapback]

Cribbs was a workhorse in 1980. Over a grand rushing, 50 odd catches, and returned punts.

If anything the Bills probably burned him out in 3.5 short seasons.

Also, if Travis is as good as you say, all other scouts and gm's in the NFL are aware of this as well. If this is true, Henry is a very valuble commodity for us and should be viewed as a source to strengthen the Bills in much needed areas. I really do hope that Travis is as good as you think he is. We should be able to get a very decent player or draft choice for him. But somehow, I dont see that happening.

I was going to bring up the fact that Travis has been outplayed by more than ten backs in 2002 - 2003, but Kzoo Mike beat me to it! So instead I'll say this: when TD was the GM in Pittsburgh, he drafted Barry Foster. A few years later, he replaced Foster with Bam Morris. I'm sure that many of Pittsburgh's fans screamed about this change, but going forward Morris produced a lot more than Foster did. Foster was basically done, even though he hadn't been in the league for a very long time. A few years later, TD replaced the (now proven) Bam Morris with Natrone Means. That change also worked out well, because after he did that Means achieved a lot more than Morris did.

TD isn't very sentimental about holding onto a RB once it becomes clear that the RB is done.

92412[/snapback]

Great points about TD's past RB theory, makes even more sense when you consider the players on that list. Foster, Morris, and Means, all power backs in the mold of Travis Henry, the only difference is they were all about 40 pounds heavier then Travis is. The rate of deterioration on a power back is much quicker then backs that have multiple skill sets.

Cribbs was a workhorse in 1980. Over a grand rushing, 50 odd catches, and returned punts.

If anything the Bills probably burned him out in 3.5 short seasons.

92424[/snapback]

Guess I'm not remembering right.

I do remember him bolting over coin.

That was a pity.

Here's some stats for ya Mr. Defense. In 2003 Travis Henry ranked 11th in rushing yards during the regular season. He ranked fifth in 2002, but had a bunch of costly fumbles. He has a running style that seems to lead to lots of injuries, even if he's played through some of them, and tends to lead to a short life span as an NFL runner.

He is not currently any where near a top five running back. I agree with others that a healthy McGahee has more speed, more size, better vision, better blocking ability, uses his blockers better, and moreso than Henry seems to come out of a knot of players for positive yardage.

I keep hearing this GARBAGE about how McGahee had this huge injury. Injuries are a fact of life in big time football. It was a huge injury. He's had very successful knee surgery. doctors have pronounced his knee fit. If anything, the kind of surgery he had tends to make the knee stronger and tighter than prior to surgery if successful, as it was. Yes, the Bills are right to play things cautiously this season and let McGahee work his way into playing shape, but once the season is over, barring the unforeseen, there is really nothing left that the Bills or McGahee should have to prove. It will be clear by then that McGahee is the better back.

If you want to state an opinion, Mr. Defense, you're entitled to it, but you have no grounds for calling those who might disagree with you "illogical."

But the flaw in all of the Mcgahee 'supporters' '' logic is still obvious:

They want to replace what has has been an outstanding player on this team, our BEST player during the last two years, with a player who has had ONE hundred yard game (against a team that had given up multiple one hundred yard games already this year).

Henry, if you recall, had a slow start last year as well--and then was GREAT, dominant.

It is the Rob Johnson logic--basing your conclusions on virtually nothing but smoke and mirrors. McGahee has proven NOTHING. Henry has been one of the best backs in the league for the last two years. Period.

Does this mean that I don't believe that McGahee can't become a great back? No, of course not. But he has not even proven himself to be an NFL starter yet.

Rob Johnson logic: and the reason this team fell out of contention. No way should we accept this again.

They want to replace what has has been an outstanding player on this team, our BEST player during the last two years, with a player who has had ONE hundred yard game (against a team that had given up multiple one hundred yard games already this year).

Henry, if you recall, had a slow start last year as well--and then was GREAT, dominant.

It is the Rob Johnson logic--basing your conclusions on virtually nothing but smoke and mirrors.  McGahee has proven NOTHING.  Henry has been one of the best backs in the league for the last two years.  Period.

Does this mean that I don't believe that McGahee can't become a great back?  No, of course not.  But he has not even proven himself to be an NFL starter yet.

Rob Johnson logic: and the reason this team fell out of contention.  No way should we accept this again.

92545[/snapback]

McGahee can't prove anything unless given the opportunity. When should that opportunty come? He's playing better than TH right now, he should get the majority of the snaps because of that. If there comes a time when TH begins to play better than WM, then give him the start...it's not that complicated.

Buy this time last season, Travis was clicking. Whether it's a foot injury or something else, it's just not clicking yet. Don't give me any mularkey (pun intended) about not being able to perform because of the presence of McGahee. If he's a quality NFL player the presence of competition would make him perform better. Travis is going to continue to get opportunities this season. No matter who starts, both will get plenty of touches, provided they are healthy, so lets stop arguing about it and seee how the season plays out.

They want to replace what has has been an outstanding player on this team, our BEST player during the last two years, with a player who has had ONE hundred yard game

92545[/snapback]

The simple fact is this, Henry is not a game breaker. What's the team's record with TH as our starter?

Henry is a GOOD back (not great) who got the opportunity to get a lot of carries over the past two years because the rest of the offense stunk. No one questions his heart. No one questions his ability to be a good back in this league. But he is not a game breaker, and he never will be.

He is a guy that will give you 1,200 yards a year. Not much more. And I am sorry, backs with those stats are a dime a dozen in this league (check out the young buck running for Minny right now). WM has the POTENTIAL to be a gamebreaker. Travis has peaked in terms of his potential...WM hasn't even scratched the surface-- yet he is already as good as Travis.

So you do the math

Let's see...

I think I remember the Bills drafting Greg (Tinker) Bell in 1984, Mr. Orwell.

Then they drafted Ronnie (who needs a pair of hands when you've got a Darth Vader shield before anyone knows who Darth Vader is) Harmon in 1986.

Then they drafted Thurmanator in 1988 after they shipped off the aforementioned Tinker Bell to the Los Angeles nee St. Louis Rims.

The best back was a rookie in 1988 and got about 900 yards while the seasoned vet Mr. Dis-Harmon(y) put himself on a fast track out of town.

And you've got a problem with our 2nd year Rookie because...?

It would follow then that Mr. Losman should continue to sit all this year and well into next while the seasoned veteran Mr. Bledsow continues to burn up the league at his record-setting pace. Hey, it could happen. But will anybody be there to watch?

Good luck with the team Mr. DonnaHo. Good luck indeed. You're certainly going to need it.