In your life

ieatcrayonz

Just shoot the POS and be done with it.

No doubt. Why is this POS wasting oxygen?

I'm sure the ACLU crowd can come up with a good reason why this poor, misunderstood, well-intentioned individual should have the opportunity to be rehabilitated and re-join society.

No doubt. Why is this POS wasting oxygen?

I'm sure the ACLU crowd can come up with a good reason why this poor, misunderstood, well-intentioned individual should have the opportunity to be rehabilitated and re-join society.

Or, one might simply note that civilized societies do not kill the mentally insane. A fiscal conservative might also note that, it costs far more for the state to kill a man, than to keep him imprisoned for life.

Or, one might simply note that civilized societies do not kill the mentally insane. A fiscal conservative might also note that, it costs far more for the state to kill a man, than to keep him imprisoned for life.

Or, one might wonder whether a sightless life behind bars is better than death. I'm certainly not qualified to answer whether the guy is sane or insane, but I do think I'm qualified to say that his actions here alone don't make him insane.

Or, one might wonder whether a sightless life behind bars is better than death.

Agreed. Honestly, I think death is an easier out that life behind bars. But, I don't think that should be the criterion.

I'm certainly not qualified to answer whether the guy is sane or insane, but I do think I'm qualified to say that his actions here alone don't make him insane.

I'm not an expert in the field either. But, I don't know that I would categorize eating one's eyeball as the act of a sane person. Thomas Szasz would probably agree with you, though.

Couldn't you argue that someone would have to be out of their mind to commit a heinous crime such as rape or murder, therefore no serious criminals should be executed?

Agreed. Honestly, I think death is an easier out that life behind bars. But, I don't think that should be the criterion.

I'm not an expert in the field either. But, I don't know that I would categorize eating one's eyeball as the act of a sane person. Thomas Szasz would probably agree with you, though.

Don't know who Thomas is. Let me know if I should google him.

A man cut off his arm (IIRC) which was trapped beneath a boulder, otherwise he would have died. Is he sane? (I understand, different situation, but play along)

Is there a line somewhere that is crossed? Cut off this body part to stay alive and you're sane. Cut off this body part to stay alive and you're insane.

Or, does the situation matter? Cut off your arm in the wilderness and you're OK. Pop out an eyeball in jail and you're not.

Don't know who Thomas is. Let me know if I should google him.

A man cut off his arm (IIRC) which was trapped beneath a boulder, otherwise he would have died. Is he sane? (I understand, different situation, but play along)

Is there a line somewhere that is crossed? Cut off this body part to stay alive and you're sane. Cut off this body part to stay alive and you're insane.

Or, does the situation matter? Cut off your arm in the wilderness and you're OK. Pop out an eyeball in jail and you're not.

Thomas Szasz is a very interesting man and you should Google him, and even read some of his stuff, if you are interested. While I don't totally agree with him, his arguments are compelling, for the most part. To tell the truth, it's been years since I've read Szasz, so his positions may have evolved since the 80's.

As for your scenario, I have this to say: If a reasonable man cuts off his arm to save his life, he has made a reasonable decision. But, from what I understand from the article presented, this guy has a "a history of mental problems" and ate his eye BEFORE the trial. Had he been a reasonable (yet brutal) man, that ate his eye while on death row, to avoid execution, we may have somewhat of an "apples to apples" comparison.

I am not suggesting that eating his eyeball proves he is insane. I simply think that eating one's eyeball, in these circumstances, certainly counts as evidence of some mental instability.

Couldn't you argue that someone would have to be out of their mind to commit a heinous crime such as rape or murder, therefore no serious criminals should be executed?

Brutality does not = insanity. But, for various reasons, I am against the death penalty. BTW, the USA is the ONLY industrialized Western country that has the death penalty:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html

Thomas Szasz is a very interesting man and you should Google him, and even read some of his stuff, if you are interested. While I don't totally agree with him, his arguments are compelling, for the most part. To tell the truth, it's been years since I've read Szasz, so his positions may have evolved since the 80's.

As for your scenario, I have this to say: If a reasonable man cuts off his arm to save his life, he has made a reasonable decision. But, from what I understand from the article presented, this guy has a "a history of mental problems" and ate his eye BEFORE the trial. Had he been a reasonable (yet brutal) man, that ate his eye while on death row, to avoid execution, we may have somewhat of an "apples to apples" comparison.

I am not suggesting that eating his eyeball proves he is insane. I simply think that eating one's eyeball, in these circumstances, certainly counts as evidence of some mental instability.

But he ate the first one hoping to be found insane at trial. He's a clever brutal man. And yes, he's nuts.

But he ate the first one hoping to be found insane at trial. He's a clever brutal man. And yes, he's nuts.

That's what I'm thinking. If your "go to" move for being found not competent to stand trial, is to eat your own eyeball, then the elevator probably doesn't go all the way to the top floor.