Mike Martz and his offense

I'm kinda surprised nobody has posted stating they want the Bills to hire Mike Martz.

That Mike Martz Ram team was known as "the greatest show on turf", but I think somewhere along the lines he had forgotten who the real catalyst was for that high powered offense. It wasn't just Kurt Warner, it wasn't just that dominant offensive line, it wasn't just Issac Bruce and Tory Holt, it was those three plus the addition of Marshall Faulk. It was Faulk who really made that offense work with a balanced running and passing game.

Anyone else notice that once Martz was promoted to head coach he started moving away from running the ball and started throwing it more often? Granted the Rams were still very successful from 2000-2001 as long as Marshall Faulk was healthy.

With the Bills, my take is, it isn't the QB that sucks in the Mike Martz offensive scheme, it’s the scheme and the guy calling plays. If you noticed the Bills QB's were in the shotgun formation and throwing the ball constantly this past season. That formation might work for Drew Brees, but the Bills have 2 young QB's.

Not to defend Losman but the guy has been in several systems with several different play callers, no continuity whatsoever. He does still suck at this point but I think its more of the play caller's fault for putting him in situations to fail, like the SF game when Lynch had 136 yards rushing after 3 quarters and he touched the ball once in the 4th QTR, why should the 49ers even try and defend the run when they know if they drop in coverage and stop the passing game they win, they were right.So everyone blames the QB for not winning that game when in reality had the Bills used Lynch more in that 4th qtr they might have won.

The shotgun play was designed to give the QB the ability to view the opposing defensive scheme while in a passing situation, like 3rd and long. Much too often this season the Bills OC would call shotgun and passing plays constantly irregardless of down and distance, even many many times in 3rd and short situations. The guy didn't start to work the running game until late in the season and even then he still would ignore it and go pass happy with the back up QB in the game.The Bills constantly in the shotgun are basically saying to opposing teams we are going to pass,try and stop us,most teams were able to. If the Bills had used play action instead it would keep the defense guessing and alleviate some of the pressure on the QB.

Mike Martz was fired in St Louis, fired in Detroit and now just fired in San Francisco ... Anyone else notice a trend here? The Bills hired Steve Fairchild from St Louis who had worked under Martz for 3 years and he quit last year to become a collage HC. Good thing, because I think most Bills fans wanted him gone anyway, his offense stunk. So what do the Bills do? They promote someone from an offensive system that didn't work very well.

If the Bills offense showed any progression statistically from last year to this year it’s mostly because Trent Edwards played well in a crappy system.

Instead of trying to make this current Bills offensive scheme work I would really hope that the Bills switch to a ball control offense or at least a more balanced attack. Look at all the teams in the playoffs and what offensive scheme they utilize. Almost all of them have really a good rushing attack that starts with play action.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has posted stating they want the Bills to hire Mike Martz.

That Mike Martz Ram team was known as "the greatest show on turf", but I think somewhere along the lines he had forgotten who the real catalyst was for that high powered offense. It wasn't just Kurt Warner, it wasn't just that dominant offensive line, it wasn't just Issac Bruce and Tory Holt, it was those three plus the addition of Marshall Faulk. It was Faulk who really made that offense work with a balanced running and passing game.

Anyone else notice that once Martz was promoted to head coach he started moving away from running the ball and started throwing it more often? Granted the Rams were still very successful from 2000-2001 as long as Marshall Faulk was healthy.

With the Bills, my take is, it isn't the QB that sucks in the Mike Martz offensive scheme, it’s the scheme and the guy calling plays. If you noticed the Bills QB's were in the shotgun formation and throwing the ball constantly this past season. That formation might work for Drew Brees, but the Bills have 2 young QB's.

Not to defend Losman but the guy has been in several systems with several different play callers, no continuity whatsoever. He does still suck at this point but I think its more of the play caller's fault for putting him in situations to fail, like the SF game when Lynch had 136 yards rushing after 3 quarters and he touched the ball once in the 4th QTR, why should the 49ers even try and defend the run when they know if they drop in coverage and stop the passing game they win, they were right.So everyone blames the QB for not winning that game when in reality had the Bills used Lynch more in that 4th qtr they might have won.

The shotgun play was designed to give the QB the ability to view the opposing defensive scheme while in a passing situation, like 3rd and long. Much too often this season the Bills OC would call shotgun and passing plays constantly irregardless of down and distance, even many many times in 3rd and short situations. The guy didn't start to work the running game until late in the season and even then he still would ignore it and go pass happy with the back up QB in the game.The Bills constantly in the shotgun are basically saying to opposing teams we are going to pass,try and stop us,most teams were able to. If the Bills had used play action instead it would keep the defense guessing and alleviate some of the pressure on the QB.

Mike Martz was fired in St Louis, fired in Detroit and now just fired in San Francisco ... Anyone else notice a trend here? The Bills hired Steve Fairchild from St Louis who had worked under Martz for 3 years and he quit last year to become a collage HC. Good thing, because I think most Bills fans wanted him gone anyway, his offense stunk. So what do the Bills do? They promote someone from an offensive system that didn't work very well.

If the Bills offense showed any progression statistically from last year to this year it’s mostly because Trent Edwards played well in a crappy system.

Instead of trying to make this current Bills offensive scheme work I would really hope that the Bills switch to a ball control offense or at least a more balanced attack. Look at all the teams in the playoffs and what offensive scheme they utilize. Almost all of them have really a good rushing attack that starts with play action.

well---u need more than 1 yard on first down to establish that rushing attack.