Bills Best QB Since Kelly

Best QB Since Kelly  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Who's been the best (of the worst)?

• Todd Collins
    • Billy Joe Hobert
    • Alex Van Pelt
    • Doug Flutie
    • Rob Johnson
    • Drew Bledsoe
    • JP Losman
    • Kelly Holcomb
    • Trent Edwards

Remerzma (or however you spell it) Of course he did have Flutie passing to him!

Actually, in the last 20 years, Metzelaars was far superior to Reimersma, in pretty much every facet of the game. Riemersma is better than anyone we have had since Metz, but that ain't saying much...he wasn't all that great. Metz was a game changer though...he came through when Reed and the #2 guy were taken out by the defense. Reimersma, to my recollection, was mostly injured, and had hands of stone at the most inopportune of times...but he was a big white kid with a hard to pronounce Polish last name...we love those guys!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trace Armstrong (may infidels throw shoes at his children).

I'm not hyping Bledsoe...God knows he had his problems. But, Flutie was not a legitmate NFL starting QB. And, to use your evidence of what happened after the guy left town, Bledsoe was better in Dallas (as bad as he was) than Flutie was in San Diego. Let's face it, Bledsoe was close to washed up as an NFL QB, but he still had an NFL arm. With a decent offensive line (something the Bills did not have at the time) he would have looked much better.

Flutie was an NFL castoff (neither the Pats* nor the Bears* had any use for him) who excelled in the CFL. He happened to be on the Bills when the team had an awesome defense, and did a decent job of letting that D win the game. Flutie was exciting, and could really make things happen, on one last drive, with the opposing D in prevent mode. But, on more occasions that not, the reason the team needed that last drive was due, in large part, to Skin's sub-standard performance in the first 3 1/2 quarters. Flutie would have been a terrific backup, and change of pace, QB. But, he was not a legitimate NFL starter.

Finally, for you W/L freaks, the Bills won 23 games in 3 years with Bledsoe was the starter. In 3 years with Flutie under center, with a superior defense, the Bills won 21 games.

Actually, in the last 20 years, Metzelaars was far superior to Reimersma, in pretty much every facet of the game. Riemersma is better than anyone we have had since Metz, but that ain't saying much...he wasn't all that great. Metz was a game changer though...he came through when Reed and the #2 guy were taken out by the defense. Reimersma, to my recollection, was mostly injured, and had hands of stone at the most inopportune of times...but he was a big white kid with a hard to pronounce Polish last name...we love those guys!

Metz came before McKeller - he was traded her in 1985, then McKeller was drafted in 1987.

Meaning Jay Riemersma is the only marginally competent tight end the Bills have picked up in now 22 seasons. And he had one season with over 50 catches or 500 yards.

Finally, for you W/L freaks, the Bills won 23 games in 3 years with Bledsoe was the starter. In 3 years with Flutie under center, with a superior defense, the Bills won 21 games.

Bledsoe started every game for 3 years. Of those 48 games, he was 23-25

According to this website (guaranteed free of Pixe dude and Rick Roll), Flutie started 30 games and went 21-9

Metz came before McKeller - he was traded her in 1985, then McKeller was drafted in 1987.

Meaning Jay Riemersma is the only marginally competent tight end the Bills have picked up in now 22 seasons. And he had one season with over 50 catches or 500 yards.

McKeller played with the Bills from 87-93.

Metz played with the team from 85-94.

For one year, Metz was the best TE since Killer.

Metz was far far better than Rear-smegma. Jay was probably the best of a bad bunch, when he was on his game. Campbell may have been better than Jay, in Jay's last year with the Bills.

Sorry, I misread your original post... :unsure:

While I agree Flutie is the right answer - this "he took us to the playoffs twice" stuff is nonsense.

If I remember correctly, did we not have the #1 then #3 overall defenses in the league those two years?? Squeaking into the playoffs isn't much of an accomplishment with that support. Joe Flacco can claim the same success as a rookie. Big deal.

Flutie was clearly limited - his arm wore down over the course of a season, and he could no longer throw deep.

He made things happen with his brain and his feet, and had the winner's "it" more than maybe any football player ever.

But his offenses didn't generate many points - so it's awfully hard for me to accept that he's such a slam-dunk, except maybe by the lack of competition.

Flutie may have been the greatest QB in CFL history, on the other hand!

I predict Edwards will top the list in 5 years.

Not sure why anyone is high on Collins - he was awful here - couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. He ultimately did well going on with a long career as a backup in KC then DC.

In 2002, Bledsoe may have put together an 8 game stretch that was as good, if not better, than any Kelly ever had...why I voted for him, over Flutie. Honestly, as much credit you have to give Flutie, I don't think I have ever disliked any Bills QB more than him. Sure, I rooted for him when he was playing, but I never liked the guy, all the way from BC, to the CFL, and Buffalo, I just always thought he was a major ass...but not without some talent...kind of like Philip Rivers...I will never like the kid...I always kind of wondered if Johson might not have performed better without Flutie around. I have no proof, but I really think RJ had more talent than either of our two guys now, he just was a little taffy-assed when it came to dealing with Flutie. I really think some of Johnson's litany of injuries were as much mental as physical. I have heard stories of Flutie's divisive nature (little man complex) pre-dating his Buffalo years. I have also heard that Flutie was very two-faced, and undermining, when it came to being Johnson's backup...some guys (and I am thinking of JP here) just can't handle that kind of thing...

I'm not hyping Bledsoe...God knows he had his problems. But, Flutie was not a legitmate NFL starting QB. And, to use your evidence of what happened after the guy left town, Bledsoe was better in Dallas (as bad as he was) than Flutie was in San Diego. Let's face it, Bledsoe was close to washed up as an NFL QB, but he still had an NFL arm. With a decent offensive line (something the Bills did not have at the time) he would have looked much better.

Flutie was an NFL castoff (neither the Pats* nor the Bears* had any use for him) who excelled in the CFL. He happened to be on the Bills when the team had an awesome defense, and did a decent job of letting that D win the game. Flutie was exciting, and could really make things happen, on one last drive, with the opposing D in prevent mode. But, on more occasions that not, the reason the team needed that last drive was due, in large part, to Skin's sub-standard performance in the first 3 1/2 quarters. Flutie would have been a terrific backup, and change of pace, QB. But, he was not a legitimate NFL starter.

I disagree with you. He was never given a chance in his early NFL years. And when he came to the Bills at nearly age 36 he completely turned the team around. He was a flawed QB but was a winner. Forget the legit QB stuff. Overall he was at least as good as Bledsoe.

I disagree with you. He was never given a chance in his early NFL years. And when he came to the Bills at nearly age 36 he completely turned the team around. He was a flawed QB but was a winner. Forget the legit QB stuff. Overall he was at least as good as Bledsoe.

I respect your disagreement, but don't tell me he didn't get his chance in his early NFL years. Take a peek at the stat lines from his early years. He saw action. He might have seen more if his completion percentage wasn't so horrible:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlutDo00.htm

In 1988 he played in 11 games (started 9 of them). His completion percentage was 51.9%

In 1989 he played in 5 games (started 3). His completion percentage was 39.6%.

If he were an NFL starting caliber QB, he would have found a place to play.

There is a reason he went to the CFL.

While I agree Flutie is the right answer - this "he took us to the playoffs twice" stuff is nonsense.

If I remember correctly, did we not have the #1 then #3 overall defenses in the league those two years?? Squeaking into the playoffs isn't much of an accomplishment with that support. Joe Flacco can claim the same success as a rookie. Big deal.

Flutie was clearly limited - his arm wore down over the course of a season, and he could no longer throw deep.

He made things happen with his brain and his feet,

Feet, yeah....brain? not hardly. When you have a WR wide open downfield, you throw the ball to him...you don't tuck it and run. We had a lot of drives stall because of his stupid plays like that in 1999...drives that would've been TDs

I was surprised that my vote - Bledsoe - was in second. I was really expecting to be like one of maybe three people that picked him in the poll, considering how much negative crap we all heard about him when he was here. He was actually one of my favorite players in the NFL, both during his time here and while leading the Patsies. I got sick of people saying he was "over-rated." I would correct them all by saying, "No, you mean he was over-SACKED." Drew was a walking example of the number one rule regarding pure pocket passers: When throwing a ball ... upright is GOOD, prone is BAD. Drew was a competitor with a golden arm. Miss him.

Feet, yeah....brain? not hardly. When you have a WR wide open downfield, you throw the ball to him...you don't tuck it and run. We had a lot of drives stall because of his stupid plays like that in 1999...drives that would've been TDs

Maybe he just knew he didn't have the arm to get it the 15 yards downfield to the open receiver?

I was surprised that my vote - Bledsoe - was in second. I was really expecting to be like one of maybe three people that picked him in the poll, considering how much negative crap we all heard about him when he was here. He was actually one of my favorite players in the NFL, both during his time here and while leading the Patsies. I got sick of people saying he was "over-rated." I would correct them all by saying, "No, you mean he was over-SACKED." Drew was a walking example of the number one rule regarding pure pocket passers: When throwing a ball ... upright is GOOD, prone is BAD. Drew was a competitor with a golden arm. Miss him.

I'll admit I really liked Drew for the first 1.5 seasons he was here...But after watching him stand there like a tree and take hits and lose games I was angry with him and the team....Flutie to me was the guy that brought some life to our offense..he was fun to watch..even when his plays didnt work out he was still fun to watch...he was the prototype that every sports crtic said could never play NFL football..he was to short, to skinny, to small, no arm, no feet..whatever he had they said he couldnt play in the NFL...well I thought he played fine..he wasnt no Montana, but he was fun to watch and thats what watching sports should be..fun to watch.