How did we lose Jim Leonhard ?

gsurdam

Bunch of Jauron's on this board praising Leonhard. Leonhard is a backup player and will be a backup again next year when Dawan Landry comes back. Did everyone suddenly forget how often awful Leonhard was? Routinely out of position, and overmatched do his lack of physical skills. The only reason he's looked decent is because of the defense he's on. He's still out of position and overmatched as a starting safety. It's true what they say water covers 3/4ths of the world Ed Reed covers the rest.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never a Leonhard basher. I thought he was fine, as a backup safety, and could serve as a returner too, if necessary. He was smallish, slowish, but smart and played good position football. I thought he was a better backup safety than Wilson, and I was blasted by a few here for saying it.

BUT, I didn't cry when he left, as the Bills certainly didn't need him in the return game with the plethora of talented options on the team, now. I also thought they drafted Wendling for depth at safety.

Even though Wendling is never used at the safety spot, so we are back to only Wilson, as a realistic #2, the Bills would be no better of a team, or have had any more wins this season, had Leonhard remained with the team.

So, get over it.

Nobody should judge the performance of any player that has been in this Bills' system over the last 3 seasons. Jauron and his band of merry idiots couldn't develop a picture with a digital camera. Go to training camp just once, and watch the ineptitude in action. Nobody is accountable for anything. They simply fall back in line and wait their turn to go again. The more I read about the comments from the players about being glad DJ is staying, the more I dislike them. No winner in the bunch.

Nobody should judge the performance of any player that has been in this Bills' system over the last 3 seasons. Jauron and his band of merry idiots couldn't develop a picture with a digital camera. Go to training camp just once, and watch the ineptitude in action. Nobody is accountable for anything. They simply fall back in line and wait their turn to go again. The more I read about the comments from the players about being glad DJ is staying, the more I dislike them. No winner in the bunch.

Yes, the players should all say publicly that their HC blows and should be fired. That would make them seem like better players.

Good one, cwo.

:lol::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::wallbash:

Speak for yourself.

Oh please.

I spoke for 99% of the board. There was probably 1 or 2 true fans (family members) of his who were upset by him leaving but don't pretend like you knew how good he'd be on another team. It's too easy.

I love when a player leaves, succeeds in another system and suddenly threads pop up asking the obvious, "How did we let ____ go?"

the performance we saw from leonhard is what happens when you plug a smart player into a dominant defense. he was put into a position where all he had to do was his job, and they gameplanned the rest of the defense to make up for the backup talent being in. we are talking about one of the best and most consistent defenses in the league, full of veterans.

kudos to him for doing a great job and making some plays when he was given the opportunity. but he hardly did this on his own athletic ability alone.

Yes, the players should all say publicly that their HC blows and should be fired. That would make them seem like better players.

Good one, cwo.

:lol::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::wallbash:

Sorry, but it's discouraging listening to the stupidity about not wanting to "blow things up" and "rebuild again". It's like a hurricane in a trailer park. All it does its re-arrange sh--. The players would be better off keeping their mouths shut. Keeping Jauron another year just took another year away from the careers of those who stay. Careful what you wish for. This is like the final hole from the movie Tin Cup. Some day, some team is going to beat all odds and clear the water with Dick if he keeps getting jobs he never should have been given. Then someone will say they believed in him all along, just prior to going 6-10 the following season.

I can't recall what happened... Did he get cut , was he a free agent ?? How ever he left... we should have kept him in my opinion...

He made a few minor plays while he was a Bill, and had one really good playoff game for the Ravens, with some of the best defensive talent in the league around him. Now we should have kept him.

:lol:

Such is life in Billsfandomland.

Sorry, but it's discouraging listening to the stupidity about not wanting to "blow things up" and "rebuild again". It's like a hurricane in a trailer park. All it does its re-arrange sh--. The players would be better off keeping their mouths shut. Keeping Jauron another year just took another year away from the careers of those who stay. Careful what you wish for. This is like the final hole from the movie Tin Cup. Some day, some team is going to beat all odds and clear the water with Dick if he keeps getting jobs he never should have been given. Then someone will say they believed in him all along, just prior to going 6-10 the following season.

You're frustrated and pissed off, we get it. So am I. But, there are very few things a player can say, or not say, in this situation that wouldn't upset most of you guys. Saying something negative would seem like the player was not taking responsibility and dissing the coach, as would saying nothing. These guys aren't usually the best-spoken people in the world. They are trying to give a positive answer (as they have been taught for years) not create a fuss, and get out of the interview ASAP. They are really in a no-win situation here.

Judging a player from quotes like that is like judging them by the color of the shoes they wear...it is meaningless.

You're frustrated and pissed off, we get it. So am I. But, there are very few things a player can say, or not say, in this situation that wouldn't upset most of you guys. Saying something negative would seem like the player was not taking responsibility and dissing the coach, as would saying nothing. These guys aren't usually the best-spoken people in the world. They are trying to give a positive answer (as they have been taught for years) not create a fuss, and get out of the interview ASAP. They are really in a no-win situation here.

Judging a player from quotes like that is like judging them by the color of the shoes they wear...it is meaningless.

I am pissed off, but more importantly, I don't see any of them pissed off. They are all so passive about it. The formula hasn't produced, and isn't likely to looking at next year's schedule. I remember Jim Kelly being interviewed his first year when they sucked. He was sour grapes. I remember him saying he had never lost at any level, and wasn't used to it, but even more importantly, HE DIDN'T LIKE IT! Who gives a sh-- on this team enough to say it????? Don't tell me Kelly's quote and attitude didn't have something to do with what followed shortly after, for several years I might add.

I am pissed off, but more importantly, I don't see any of them pissed off. They are all so passive about it. The formula hasn't produced, and isn't likely to looking at next year's schedule. I remember Jim Kelly being interviewed his first year when they sucked. He was sour grapes. I remember him saying he had never lost at any level, and wasn't used to it, but even more importantly, HE DIDN'T LIKE IT! Who gives a sh-- on this team enough to say it????? Don't tell me Kelly's quote and attitude didn't have something to do with what followed shortly after, for several years I might add.

Kelly wasn't responding to a question about his thoughts regarding the rehiring of his pathetic head coach. And, while Kelly's statements often showed his bravado, they weren't the reason he had it. Some bold and terrific players are softer spoken, or not well spoken.

If you don't like a player because of the way he plays, fine. To believe that talk = ability, or heart, is crazy.

When you think about it, a quote that basically says "we like coach Jauron" and "it gives us continuity" could be the safest way to say, "well, I guess having some continuity is a positive, if we have to keep this limp Dick".

Bunch of Jauron's on this board praising Leonhard. Leonhard is a backup player and will be a backup again next year when Dawan Landry comes back. Did everyone suddenly forget how often awful Leonhard was? Routinely out of position, and overmatched do his lack of physical skills. The only reason he's looked decent is because of the defense he's on. He's still out of position and overmatched as a starting safety. It's true what they say water covers 3/4ths of the world Ed Reed covers the rest.

You must be remembering the wrong guy. Leonhard was NEVER out of position. He was the smartest player on that defense. He simply didn't have the speed and more importantly the size to play the position. But he always knew where he was supposed to be and did his level best to get there. Those two INTs weren't flukes.

But he's got greatly reduced duties in Baltimore and they're covering for him. He's playing very well because the system is better for him and the players around him are better too.

What do you want the players to do? Sneak out of practice and run plays behind the stands. Training camp looked great. I was there. They just don't have the horses yet, but things may improve a lot as our very young team matures.

I can't recall what happened... Did he get cut , was he a free agent ?? How ever he left... we should have kept him in my opinion...

Leonhard is a product of the Ravens pass rush and complementary defensive talent.

He was a day late and a dollar short as a Cover 2 safety and deserved to be released by his lack of on-field production with the Bills (and I don't count the tipped pass and badly overthrown ball he intercepted while playing 10 yards off the receiver as production).

What do you want the players to do? Sneak out of practice and run plays behind the stands. Training camp looked great. I was there. They just don't have the horses yet, but things may improve a lot as our very young team matures.

I was at night practice twice. I saw them do a lot of nothing. I did see James Hardy catch a long pass down the middle for a touchdown. Other than that, zero, zilch, nada. Oh yeah, they worked on punt coverage. I heard some kid call JP Adam Sandler too.

He'd be playing for a team with no pass rush and in a system where he'd be expected to cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the field against all intermediate to deep routes for next-to-forever on each snap. It might be hard to find someone that would excel in that defense. :lol:

Overall, Leonhard is simply an average player. Not terrible, not great. But good teams know how to put their average players in positions where they have the best chance at success. The Bills...well...we're going to take the best damn players we can get, and then keep them on the bench in favor of jason webster, anthony thomas, robert royal, etc.

I was at night practice twice. I saw them do a lot of nothing. I did see James Hardy catch a long pass down the middle for a touchdown. Other than that, zero, zilch, nada. Oh yeah, they worked on punt coverage. I heard some kid call JP Adam Sandler too.

I'm sorry. You went to two night practices! And you are capable of judging Jauron's training camps with other head coaches? This board is turning into a total cluster #!*@