Stats that tell the story....

I firmly believe the stats give a good indication of where we are as a team. It does not account for "Bonehead Coaching" but is interesting none the less...

Interesting Highlights which ill compare to remaining playoff teams

Offense

YARDS PER GAME

Bills 305

Pit 312

Ten 313

Bal 324

Mia 345

SD 349

NYG 356

AZ 366

Points per game

Bills 21

Pitt 21.7

MIA 21.6

Tenn 23.4

Phi 26

Car 25.9

SD 27.4

AZ 26.7

Passing Yardage

Buf 3040

Car 3158

NYG 3177

Mia 3632

Phi 3911

SD 3858

AZ 4674

Rushing Average

Buff 4.2

AZ 3.5

Pit 3.7

Phi 4.0

SD 4.1

Mia 4.2

Tenn 4.3

Bal 4.0

Car 4.8

NYG 5.0

Sacks allowed

Buffalo 38

Blt 33

Tn 12

Car 20

Pit 49

Mia 26

Sd 25

Phi 23

AZ 28

Yds per pass

Buf 6.9

Bal 7.1

Tn 6.4

Car 7.9

Pit 7.1

Mia 7.7

Phi 6.7

NYG 6.8

AZ 7.7

INDY FOR COMPARISON 7.1

NOTE Bills are top 8 in passing percentage in the whole NFL. including JP's horrible play... TE by himself? 65.5% 7.2 yards per attempt. Interesting to note, Peyton manning posted a 67.2% and 7.1 Yards per pass.. Maybe we should keep TE healthy?

So as you can see were not far off for yardage, passing or PPG from the playoff contenders. Were right in the middle for rushing per rush (maybe we should run more) near the top for yards per pass and percentage.

Defense

YPG

Buf 326

Pit 237

Bal 261

NYG 292

TN 234

Car 331

AZ 331

SD 349

Opponents yards per rush

Buf 4.3

Car 4.4

Mia 4.2

AZ 4.0

NYG 4.0

SD 4.0

TN 3.7

Bal 3.6

Phi 3.5

Pit 3.3

New goal for Buffalo under 4.0 for 2009!

Opponents passing % (very compelling reason for a better pass rush)

Buf 61.2

Az 62.5

Car 59.8

TN 59.5

NYG 58.8

Mia 58.1

Pit 56.5

Phi 54.1

Bal 52.3

Interesting note! INDY 68.4 and that ties Detroit... no wonder why theyre out.

Sacks

Buf 24

Sd 28

AZ 31

Blt 34

Car 37

Mia 40

NYG 42

Phi 48

Pit 51

Some interesting things to me. Makes me think if we can get some pressure on the QB, trim down the opponents rushing yards per rush by just 1 foot we can give the offense more chances with the ball which will improve EVERYTHING on offense. Hovever... We need to give up less sacks which could be a combo of our O line getting better and wrs getting open (scheme?)

All will be better in Bills land even with Dick!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I firmly believe the stats give a good indication of where we are as a team. It does not account for "Bonehead Coaching" but is interesting none the less...

All will not be better with Dick. The bonehead costs the team games and will continue to do so. The stats are not very telling to me, the numbers are all pretty close. The difference IS the coaching because the other teams win the close games or games that are not favorable in the stat category. The Bills lose those games each and every time under Dick. After all his record against winning teams is pathetic. Perhaps someone can re-post that stat for you. I wont do it because I cant stand to see that stat anymore.

Sorry, your work and enthusiasm should be commended however I just do not have it in me to support Jauron and the rest of the staff.

All will not be better with Dick. The bonehead costs the team games and will continue to do so. The stats are not very telling to me, the numbers are all pretty close. The difference IS the coaching because the other teams win the close games or games that are not favorable in the stat category. The Bills lose those games each and every time under Dick. After all his record against winning teams is pathetic. Perhaps someone can re-post that stat for you. I wont do it because I cant stand to see that stat anymore.

Sorry, your work and enthusiasm should be commended however I just do not have it in me to support Jauron and the rest of the staff.

Cheer Up!

The numbers ARE close and thats the point. WE NEED PASS RUSH!

I agree that Dick Sucks! However, i dont think we are far off... Thats my point.

pass rush is our biggest deficiency. You cannot run a 4-3 and not get a dependable pass rush from your front 4. That is a recipe for failure, and guess what.....

On top of that we were deep into our reserves at LB, and even with Crowell re-signing if he does I would want to find an improvement over him just the same. Better LB's will also help the pass rush probelm.

Steve,

Nice job with the stats...I now there not ALL indicative, but there are interesting nonetheless. One glaring thing that stands out is the lack of pass rush indeed. The lack of a pash rush was a factor on 50% or better of Bills losses. Throw in AT LEAST 2-3 more wins with a better pass rush...and that's WITH Tricky Dick at the helm. Dick is a safe, bland coach, but not a good game mgr. If he could get WAAAY better in that area, we get a pass rush and a bit of upgrade on the O-line too and we might see some decent improvement.

Interesting Highlights which ill compare to remaining playoff teams

Thanks for the work - I wish more people would post stats vs. just an opinion (not saying opinions are something people should not post but it would be nice to know - why someone holds the opinion and what information they used to formulate it).

Stats seem to support the notion that there is a "fine line" between winning and losing in the NFL. Missing from your analysis is turnovers. The Bills killed themselves with them. Two games were lost as a direct outcome of turnovers the Jests is the most obvious and I would then add the Cleveland game to the list. Good teams / winning teams create breaks for themselves.

Hidden in the stats is also the idea that the Bills have not been good at getting first downs at critical times in the game. Think about the 8 minute drive the Cheatriots had on us in the first game this season. They killed the clocka and iced the game. Buffalo has not shown an ability to do the same.

Steve,

Nice job with the stats...I now there not ALL indicative, but there are interesting nonetheless. One glaring thing that stands out is the lack of pass rush indeed. The lack of a pash rush was a factor on 50% or better of Bills losses. Throw in AT LEAST 2-3 more wins with a better pass rush...and that's WITH Tricky Dick at the helm. Dick is a safe, bland coach, but not a good game mgr. If he could get WAAAY better in that area, we get a pass rush and a bit of upgrade on the O-line too and we might see some decent improvement.

Bruised & Abused; You're bad news.

We ranked

#25 in yards/game

#14 rushing yards/game

#22 passing YPG

#23 point/game

Meanwhile our opponents ranked

#14 in yards/game

#22 in rushing yards/game

#13 in passing YPG

#14 in points/game

The difference that stands out to me is points/game scored and allowed.

We ranked

#25 in yards/game

#14 rushing yards/game

#22 passing YPG

#23 point/game

Meanwhile our opponents ranked

#14 in yards/game

#22 in rushing yards/game

#13 in passing YPG

#14 in points/game

The difference that stands out to me is points/game scored and allowed.

:lol:

"It's as plain as the nose on your face."

Bruised & Abused; You're bad news.

To speak to my point...I'm NOT happy with Jauron as coach, however, if we had a better pass rush, I think we would have beaten Mia and NYJ at least once each, and beaten the Niners and Browns. That's possibly a four game swing with a single area to upgrade. Now that was THIS year, where we had an easy schedule. Next year we need Dick (cause he's here whether we like it or not) to better his game management, a better pash rush and O-line upgrades (at a minimum cause we need LB and TE help too). Even then we only see a 2-3 game improvement tops.

To speak to my point...I'm NOT happy with Jauron as coach, however, if we had a better pass rush, I think we would have beaten Mia and NYJ at least once each, and beaten the Niners and Browns. That's possibly a four game swing with a single area to upgrade. Now that was THIS year, where we had an easy schedule. Next year we need Dick (cause he's here whether we like it or not) to better his game management, a better pash rush and O-line upgrades (at a minimum cause we need LB and TE help too). Even then we only see a 2-3 game improvement tops.

who's been spanking your avatar?

Opponents passing % (very compelling reason for a better pass rush)

Buf 61.2

Az 62.5

Car 59.8

TN 59.5

NYG 58.8

Mia 58.1

Pit 56.5

Phi 54.1

Bal 52.3

Interesting note! INDY 68.4 and that ties Detroit... no wonder why theyre out.

Are you implying that SD's passing % beat the Colts on Saturday? I would hardly say that is so. Rivers 20/36 (55.6%) for 217 yards.

Unless you are implying that if their numbers in this category were higher during the regular season, they could have won the division and had the bye this past week....

Steve,

Agreed.... I started look at this in a desperate hope to find out "why" and in the end saw the interesting stuff...

One thing that i noticed from the playoffs is how much better these teams are prepared. Even the Falcons. They were overmatched but well prepared. I dont think theri D is any better than buggalos but thet didnt get "Blown Out" like we did.