ED REED

Stl Bills

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than Ronnie Lott? Lott was an interception guru as well, getting 63 in his career (reed currently has 43) but he was also a tackler. Lott had over 100 tackles 5 times, while Reed has never done so. He actually only had 41 tackles this year.

Your safety shouldnt have that many tackles if the group up front is getting the job done. That means too many times guys were getting tackled down field. Reeds tackle numbers are lower because of the tremendous job being done up front, and if you watch Reed, he is one heck of a tackler too.

That being said, at this point, you still have to give it to Lott as best ever, but I think when Reeds career is over he might just over take Lott as best ever. To this point, I would have to agree, he is at least best play making S ever...

I always liked Deron Cherry of the Chiefs. Excellent all around player. Has to be top 10 all time.

Not bad. Cherry was a fierce hitter as well as a sound cover guy. Top 10? Maybe. Lemme see....

Ronnie Lott

Paul Krause

Kenny Easley

Ken Houston

Willie Wood

Sammy Baugh

Larry Wilson

Donnie Shell

Darren Woodson

......is he as good as, or better than, Steve Atwater, Mel Renfro, or John Lynch? I dunno.

Not bad. Cherry was a fierce hitter as well as a sound cover guy. Top 10? Maybe. Lemme see....

Ronnie Lott

Paul Krause

Kenny Easley

Ken Houston

Willie Wood

Sammy Baugh

Larry Wilson

Donnie Shell

Darren Woodson

......is he as good as, or better than, Steve Atwater, Mel Renfro, or John Lynch? I dunno.

Good list. I really liked Kenny Easley. Jack Tatum was a ferocious hitter too

Ronnie Lott

Paul Krause

Kenny Easley

Ken Houston

Willie Wood

Sammy Baugh

Larry Wilson

Donnie Shell

Darren Woodson

Renfro played CB.

Renfro played CB.

Thanks for the correction.

Still, considering the 9 I listed, and the fact that I didn't list Reed, Lynch, Atwater, or others like Jack Christensen, I don't know if I would consider Cherry as one of the 10 best safeties of all time.

Good list. I really liked Kenny Easley. Jack Tatum was a ferocious hitter too

Easley was awesome. For a strong safety to have over 30 career picks in 7 years, that's pretty solid. Plus, 'til Reed won the DPOY back in '04, the last safety to accomplish that feat? Yep, you guessed it: Easley.

Imagine how much more he could've done were it not for the kidney disease that cut his career short.

Thanks for the correction.

Still, considering the 9 I listed, and the fact that I didn't list Reed, Lynch, Atwater, or others like Jack Christensen, I don't know if I would consider Cherry as one of the 10 best safeties of all time.

I wouldn't either, but I would have Ed Reed right below Lott.... though I never saw Sammy Baugh play lol. Don't remember too much about Easley, cause I didn't get to see too many Seahawk games. I don't think he played very long though, at least compared to the others.

ETA: Just read your post about the kidney disease.

I wouldn't either, but I would have Ed Reed right below Lott.... though I never saw Sammy Baugh play lol. Don't remember too much about Easley, cause I didn't get to see too many Seahawk games. I don't think he played very long though, at least compared to the others.

Easley played 7 years, racked up 32 picks, was voted to 5 Pro Bowls, and, as I mentioned earlier, was the 1984 Defensive Player of the Year. He had to retire after the '87 season due to a kidney disease. He was voted to the NFL's all 1980s team, and but for the kidney problem, he probably would've cemented his bid for the Hall of Fame.

Ronnie Lott

Paul Krause

Kenny Easley

Ken Houston

Willie Wood

Sammy Baugh

Larry Wilson

Donnie Shell

Darren Woodson

Atwater was excellent on a so-so Denver D.

Ronnie Lott is the best I've seen overall

But Ed Reed is off the hook when he gets the ball in his hands, but he is a natural playmaker and he benefits by having Ray Lewis in front of him.

Ray Lewis demands you play well and it has to rub off on Reed

The Bills have to find a Ray Lewis type player that is part coach part animal like Lewis.

easier said than done...

The Bills had Ed Reed in mind when they drafted Whitner.

I wonder if they blitzed Whitner more would he be more effective....

Ronnie Lott

Paul Krause

Kenny Easley

Ken Houston

Willie Wood

Sammy Baugh

Larry Wilson

Donnie Shell

Darren Woodson

I'd take Cherry's all-round game over Lynch and Atwater. Atwater and Lynch were great, but I see them primarily as hitters and run supporters. You couldn't go wrong with them, but I think Cherry was a great hitter and more athletic than either.

As for Krause, my recollection of him was that he played deep and smart - I don't remember him being much of a hitter (especially with that D-line).

How many years was Lott a CB & how many of those Ints. came at that position? I can't remember how long he was at corner before switching to the safety positions.

Bottom line...both were very very good. If you made me pick one I would take Lott but you can't go wrong there can you?

ronnie lott came out in the 81 draft and played cb from 81-84. in 85 he shifted to safety for the rest of his career.

he is still the greatest imho in part because players were more likely to let a ball go when they saw him comming in for a hit.

intimidation is a factor that can not be measured but is undoubtably important.

reed is good, but lott was scary good...... in every way