Aaron Schobel article

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...a4-57bc9933e88e

"The two-time Pro Bowl defensive end is due back in Buffalo on Feb. 1 at which time he’ll be put through three days of hard football-related activity by the training staff. Then they’ll be a series of MRIs and x-rays to determine if the foot had made sufficient progress or if surgery needs to be performed.

If surgery is the call, Schobel’s offseason will quickly become more challenging with a six month rehab process in front of him.

And that’s why some outside observers are wondering if Buffalo’s top pass rusher will be able to recapture his Pro Bowl form".

Great, they're waiting until February to determine is Schobel needs surgery or not. If that's the case, he'll be rehabbing until August and might not be ready to start the season. Even if he does come back at some point during the season, I can't see him being that effective.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing you're not a doctor to make those kind of speculative thoughts. :devil:

Wouldn't want to have surgery if he doesn't need it.

If he needs surgery, why didn't he have it sometime during the season when Bills management knew he was going to be on IR.

Waiting until sometime in February to have surgery, plus 6 months of rehab will set him back big time. My point is, he's not worth the $8.7 million a year he's making, he's damaged goods and has lost a step.

Great, they're waiting until February to determine is Schobel needs surgery or not. If that's the case, he'll be rehabbing until August and might not be ready to start the season. Even if he does come back at some point during the season, I can't see him being that effective.

If he needs surgery, why didn't he have it sometime during the season when Bills management knew he was going to be on IR.

Waiting until sometime in February to have surgery, plus 6 months of rehab will set him back big time. My point is, he's not worth the $8.7 million a year he's making, he's damaged goods and has lost a step.

if you are looking for competency from our medical/training staff on diagnosing and rehab'ing his injury, you are wasting your time.

the team rushed him back into the Arizona game where it just got worse.

they have been unable to properly diagnose and rehab ANY/EVERY injury for the past 2 seasons.

Schobel wasn't himself before the injury, what makes the Bills think he will be ok after it? In my opinion, the Bills need to invest in 2 more DE's, while really looking at the guys we already have. Denny is good for his pay. Kelsay needs to go to free up money. Schobel can stay if he takes a pay cut, his 7+ Mil a year is jsut oo much for him. If he accepts a paycut, and we relieve Kelsay, that should allow us to pursue a guy like Suggs without hurting our cap situation much.

if you are looking for competency from our medical/training staff on diagnosing and rehab'ing his injury, you are wasting your time.

they have been unable to properly diagnose and rehab ANY/EVERY injury for the past 2 seasons.

If you think they have any say, you are kidding yourselves- in the NFL, medical staffs can be overruled by coaches

I think they did ok with Kevin Everett.

I'm with you Jerry in it could be a blessing in disguise. The Bills almost have to either draft a DE high or go after someone in free agency to "cover the bases" so to speak. I wouldn't mind going after Bert Berry AND drafting someone at #11......

As I've said last preseason, undersized, over thirty, and a rep as a guy who doesn't like to workout in the offseason is a bad combination.

At $8.7 million a year, he's not worth it. Schobel should be making what Kelsay is getting (at best).

I'm with you Jerry in it could be a blessing in disguise. The Bills almost have to either draft a DE high or go after someone in free agency to "cover the bases" so to speak. I wouldn't mind going after Bert Berry AND drafting someone at #11......

I agree, we need 2 good DE's. I'd keep Denney as a backup and cut Kelsay loose.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...a4-57bc9933e88e

"The two-time Pro Bowl defensive end is due back in Buffalo on Feb. 1 at which time he’ll be put through three days of hard football-related activity by the training staff. Then they’ll be a series of MRIs and x-rays to determine if the foot had made sufficient progress or if surgery needs to be performed.

If surgery is the call, Schobel’s offseason will quickly become more challenging with a six month rehab process in front of him.

And that’s why some outside observers are wondering if Buffalo’s top pass rusher will be able to recapture his Pro Bowl form".

lol...another pile on schobel post huh...

When it comes to injuries surgery is the last resort in most cases. If there is a chance to rehab it without the need of surgery, that is the first choice more often than not, especially during a season. It's quite possible they thought they could rehab the injury without the need of surgery, but now it's looking more like surgery will be needed which is why they are looking at doing the surgery now.

From a football point of view, if they felt surgery was the only way, they don't wait til now to do it and risk him missing any part of next year. If they waited it was because there were non-surgery paths they tried first, and obvioulsy the injury is not responding well enough to this point. Its quite possible rushing him back made it worse to the point that now he is going to need surgery to repair it as well, which is another reason you don't rush players back.

i dont see this as a pile on Schobel thread either.

facts are facts. he's old, he's injured, he's making a LOT of money. we have recently cut plenty of cheaper, healthier veterans.

i dont see the confusion over his injury to be anything other than a clearer indicator that we need to sign some very good pass rushing DEs.

How is it a pile on Schobel thread??? He'll be 32 next season coming off an injury. It's time to plan for the future.

I just mean Schobel is not the problem. He is a good player, a better run stopper than most DE's in this league, a good pass rusher, and our D is better with him on the field, especially our D line.

We don't need 2 DE's, we need one. Keep Kelsay as a backup, dump Denney, bring Schobel back, and add another effective DE on the other side and we will have a really good front line (assuming everyone is healthy).

as far as "another pile on schobel thread", that was just me ribbing jerry a bit because jerry has clearly communicated the dislike for Schobel in many a posts...

I would love to see us bring in a DE that can put some pressure on the QB from the other side, but we don't need 2 and have more pressing needs than outright replacing both DE positions.

lol...another pile on schobel post huh...

When it comes to injuries surgery is the last resort in most cases. If there is a chance to rehab it without the need of surgery, that is the first choice more often than not, especially during a season. It's quite possible they thought they could rehab the injury without the need of surgery, but now it's looking more like surgery will be needed which is why they are looking at doing the surgery now.

From a football point of view, if they felt surgery was the only way, they don't wait til now to do it and risk him missing any part of next year. If they waited it was because there were non-surgery paths they tried first, and obvioulsy the injury is not responding well enough to this point. Its quite possible rushing him back made it worse to the point that now he is going to need surgery to repair it as well, which is another reason you don't rush players back.

I agree with some of your points. I had to have career ending foot & ankle surgery when I was in the Marines and go through all the steps...different meds, physical therapy, steroid injections, foot in a cast, etc (military doctor's are a joke, glad a civilian did my surgery).

To me, if Schobel needs surgery, this sets the team back and they need to have a plan ready. Last year's excuse for Schobel was that the D-line sucked, this year his injury, how long are the Bills gonna keep this guy & his high price tag before they cut him loose? If he can ever return to his pro-bowl form, then that would be great and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong about him. But IMO, he's damaged goods and is highly overpaid.

To me, if Schobel needs surgery, this sets the team back and they need to have a plan ready. Last year's excuse for Schobel was that the D-line sucked, this year his injury, how long are the Bills gonna keep this guy & his high price tag before they cut him loose? If he can ever return to his pro-bowl form, then that would be great and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong about him. But IMO, he's damaged goods and is highly overpaid.

I agree, Schobel having surgery and missing a chunk of next year will be a set back to the team...I just think he is still young enough to rebound from this injury and be a factor on this team. He has been pretty consistent, and even in his down year last year he practically tripled Julius Peppers output during the same season and he still made the Pro Bowl...and that was his down year statistically, yet was still solid.

But, if I am wrong and he can't rebound, then I think we move on and replace him.

as far as "another pile on schobel thread", that was just me ribbing jerry a bit because jerry has clearly communicated the dislike for Schobel in many a posts...

I would love to see us bring in a DE that can put some pressure on the QB from the other side, but we don't need 2 and have more pressing needs than outright replacing both DE positions.

Yes, I've made other Schobel posts, but when I read the article, I had to make another thread to discuss the possible offseason surgery issues. I know you like Schobel and when he was healthy, he was a good player but even still, he wasn't worth the $8.7 million a year. IMO, it's time to cut him loose and move on.