Modrak: Sacred Cow?

Mickey

Not for nothing but hasn't Modrak been our top scout for every draft going back to Donahoe?

Given the generally miserable results of all those drafts, why does he escape any blame? He participates in the process and the evaluations his department comes up with are what everyone bases their opinions on come draft day. I am not saying it is all his fault or even mostly but somewhere along the line, he has to accept some responsibility.

After all is said and done, the one common thread in all these miserable drafts has been Modrak.

There I said it, I sullied the sacred.

Not for nothing but hasn't Modrak been our top scout for every draft going back to Donahoe?

Given the generally miserable results of all those drafts, why does he escape any blame? He participates in the process and the evaluations his department comes up with are what everyone bases their opinions on come draft day. I am not saying it is all his fault or even mostly but somewhere along the line, he has to accept some responsibility.

After all is said and done, the one common thread in all these miserable drafts has been Modrak.

but they have maintained continuity :beer:

The Bills front office has been designed as a big teflon shield.

no one person makes decisions, thus no one is accountable or responsible.

The Bills generally have failed miserably at evaluating talent, college kids, pro free agents and their own talent.

Modrak and Guy are the most visible, but what do you expect when Linda Bogdan is at a VP in your talent evaluation dept.

Any ability to identify talent left with Dwight Adams

I'm not a Modrak fan at all.

I'm not a Modrak fan at all.

There is a MAJOR difference between scouting and suggesting who should be taken.....and having the final say

who should be taken....its pretty obvious Modrak was given less authority then people previously assumed....he now will have that authority it appears

There is a MAJOR difference between scouting and suggesting who should be taken.....and having the final say

who should be taken....its pretty obvious Modrak was given less authority then people previously assumed....he now will have that authority it appears

that's the beauty of the bills model, no one is accountable

Modrak supposedly is the talent evaluator but it's not his fault that the Bills rated POZ so far ahead of Harris that they traded a premium pick to move up.

or that being tall made Hardy that much better a WR than Eddie Royal or Donnie Avery?

who sets the priority that OL should be ignored at the top of the draft - Modrak or Dick.

If Dick is setting priorities, he should not be allowed the free pass that his players are not good enough.

If Modrak is responsible, he should be gone.

The clown show at OBD will continue to baffle and amaze come draft day.

The bills draft can be split into three parts 1st and 2nd round picks which have been worse than a guy off the street picking with a draft guide, 3rd round has been a toss up, and 4-7 has been pretty good. I've wondered if Wilson, Levy, Juaron, and our old friend Tommy D - didn't have the most say in the first 2 rounds and Modrak didn't have his way in the later rounds.

The Bills generally have failed miserably at evaluating talent, college kids, pro free agents and their own talent.

Modrak and Guy are the most visible, but what do you expect when Linda Bogdan is at a VP in your talent evaluation dept.

To draft 7 DB's out of 26 picks and use 2 out of 4 first rounders on DB's is why I think DJ was deciding. Sure, they'll say it's "consensus" but with few legitimately successful NFL personnel people, DJ has the run on the draft. Now that the talent level isn't much better with DJ, RW believes getting Modrak into the inner circle to overrule or at least match DJ is the answer. Hence, the story about Modrak liking Cutler in 05.

Even so, is Russ going to tell DJ what to do? Guy, Modrak, and their people make recommendations, but cannot decide. Meanwhile, Linda Bogged down can do whatever she wants. Including crying to the best modern day GM, and a future HOFer because he didn't do what she wanted him to.

Evaluating talent is what this team hasn't done well since Butler walked out the door. Even though Butler wasn't as good as Polian, God rest his soul, he was an improvement over having the marketing guy.

A third rate organization with third rate talent and third rate talent evaluators.

Given the generally miserable results of all those drafts, why does he escape any blame?

He's been with the team for 8(?) drafts but they're just bringing him into "Ralph's Inner Circle" now. Yeah, he deserves blame but I have no idea how much because it's impossible to figure out how things actually work in this trainwreck of a franchise. We don't have a GM, but we do have a senile, gazillion year old owner who won't sell the team because he still wants to run it.

Ralph's Inner Circle? What the hell is that anyway? I'm picturing a dark room in the stadium's underbelly with stone walls, lit entirely by torches. And there's an onyx table at the center and around that you have Ralph and his band of idiots sitting there dressed like druids planning their next move. And it's all quiet in there with each member of RIC reading from a football book bound in human flesh before Ralph Wilson rises and decrees: "Henceforth, we shall pay Kyle Williams five million dollars for each season of professional football that he shall play as a Buffalo Bill...uhhhhhhhhhhh......Wilson said."

Our drafts haven't been miserable. We have good players just not big play guys. The first round picks have been disappointing, but the third round picks and later have been solid.

Ralph's Inner Circle? What the hell is that anyway? I'm picturing a dark room in the stadium's underbelly with stone walls, lit entirely by torches. And there's an onyx table at the center and around that you have Ralph and his band of idiots sitting there dressed like druids planning their next move. And it's all quiet in there with each member of RIC reading from a football book bound in human flesh before Ralph Wilson rises and decrees: "Henceforth, we shall pay Kyle Williams five million dollars for each season of professional football that he shall play as a Buffalo Bill...uhhhhhhhhhhh......Wilson said."

think jedi council

Man I miss Adams description of his guys after drafts! What a true NFL character he was. In fact, that is exactly what is missing in the Bills' entire organization - passionate people who love their work and love the Bills and love to win. Wilson has created an inner circle of zombie robots that don't seem to even like their work, much less love it.

I'll be the voice of dissent here and say most of the drafts have been pretty-to-very good.

Modrak knows talent, but may hang around in his Vilano Beach house too much, according to some. I think having Modrak take a bigger role in the FO would be a positive thing, but I don't believe he has any interest in it. At some point in time, they may have to replace him, if he is as detached as some are saying. He plays an important role in the "team management" approach the Bills have chosen to use, so he will stay until they get a real GM, IMO.

Man I miss Adams description of his guys after drafts! What a true NFL character he was. In fact, that is exactly what is missing in the Bills' entire organization - passionate people who love their work and love the Bills and love to win. Wilson has created an inner circle of zombie robots that don't seem to even like their work, much less love it.

You can say that again! Adams and Butler were Football Scouts through and through...They were Old School, and it was a blast to hear Dwight talk about a Prospect...It's something that is definitely missing since TD came along...Modrak is just further evidence of what is wrong with this Organization overall...I'm not saying He's a terrible Scout...But He's a part time Head Scout who lives a long plane flight away from Buffalo...This is what the Bills as an Organization allow...How can you have a dedication to out-Scouting the competition when your Head Scout does not even work Full Time? This Organization truly lacks the examples it takes...the commitment it takes to WIN from the top down...Butler and Adams, and AJ for that matter, oozed that commitment...They may not have been right all the time...But they were not going to get outworked, or out-hustled along the way...There was a commitment I simply don't see anymore at OBD...Especially with the Head Scouts' current cushy arrangement... :beer:

We'll be able to form more of an opinion after this year concerning Modrak. Ralph is giving him more of a say-so in personell decisions this year. We'll see what it brings if they'll actually say that it was Modrak's decision to go after some one. Ralph's daughter has no business being involved with talent evaluation, that's for sure. Fire that donkey.

We'll be able to form more of an opinion after this year concerning Modrak. Ralph is giving him more of a say-so in personell decisions this year. We'll see what it brings if they'll actually say that it was Modrak's decision to go after some one. Ralph's daughter has no business being involved with talent evaluation, that's for sure. Fire that donkey.

Do we KNOW that Modrak is going to be more involved? Last I heard it was a rumor.

Also, I have seen an increase in comments about Ralph's daughter being involved (more involved recently, even) with talent evaluation. Was there a recent article about this that I missed, or something? She is the Assistant Director of College Scouting. That could mean she schedules the trips for the Bills scouts, and has a fancy title because Ralph is her Dad.