Think things are bad now?

thewildrabbit

Lori, I really respect your opinion and your talent for writing. I am also baffled by the gameday breakdowns. We know Jauron is smart, he has been around football all his life. I am hopeful that Schonert's having been though it once and the team maturing will help in that regard.

However, the fact that Jauron does "press conference speak" and rarely gives a good quote to reporters does not bother me at all. I don't think that has anything to do with his performance with the team. Must be frustrating for reporters however.

I don't personally fault him for his performance in the media room, because I'm not in there and don't have to deal with him. (The day I get a credential at RWS, you'll know they've really lowered their standards for access.)

I do think, however, that his demeanor signals an unwillingness to bear down on his players when necessary. Who knows, maybe I'm reading too much into it, and he cracks a whip with the best of them during practice ... but I doubt it. There seems to be no accountability for errors in this organization.

Just my opinion ...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard anyone in the organization that does not hold Jauron in the highest regard. I love how fans project their frustrations on others who have never indicated any of those feelings in the slightest.

My favorite poster so far is the guy who is going to become a Detroit fan because of his frustration over the Management of the Bills. Good luck with that one.

I believe we have a better chance at success in 2009 with Jauron than by blowing the whole thing up and starting again. We were the 2nd youngest team in the league last year and played several games with a quarterback who will soon be out of the NFL. The wailing and gnashing of teeth out there is understandable but as Marv Levy wisely said "if you listen to the fans, you will soon be one". Meanwhile, I remain a loyal Bills fan and thankful that Ralph Wilson has kept a team in Buffalo for close to 50 years.

FYI: The Bills were 6th youngest. There was a link to an article posted in another thread. Miami is younger.

Also, why d you think there is a better chance of success in staying with Jauron as opposed to selecting a new coach? Jauron has well proven he is nothing but a loser.

IMO, the Bills would have had better chance of success with a new a coach than sticking with the loser.

FYI: The Bills were 6th youngest. There was a link to an article posted in another thread. Miami is younger.

Also, why d you think there is a better chance of success in staying with Jauron as opposed to selecting a new coach? Jauron has well proven he is nothing but a loser.

IMO, the Bills would have had better chance of success with a new a coach than sticking with the loser.

Apparently, Wilson thinks that he has identified the root cause of his problem. The main problem with his dysfunctional outfit is that there hasn't been "enough continuity" in the past decade. So, he's going to fix that problem by keeping a guy that is a proven failure and who has been outwitted, out coached, and out played time and time again and keeps making the same blunders.

Of course, Wilson hasn't really identified the problem, has he? That's why the fans are enraged. The problem isn't that we haven't stuck with bad coaches long enough, the problem is that we keep hiring bad and incompetent coaches. Not only that but these coaches blow the team up when they come in, set the team back years, and then show they can't coach their way out of a paper bag. So, we are left with a "solution" to a fictional problem, but we haven't identified the true problem.

Now, let's juxtapose something from Wilson's statement. He said that there will be no changes because his "inner circle" chatted and they chatted with Dick "Cheerio Chaps!" Jauron and they believe they've identified the problems as to why this team is spinning its wheels and they believe they have the solutions.

Ask yourself: do you believe them?

The Dallas Cowboys fired their special teams coach and are looking for a replacement...

The one great coach the on the current Buffalo Bills staff has to be wondering what am I doing on this ship of fools.Will he still be here with all the coaching changes that will happen this off season,one has to wonder.

Assuming he is under contract he will not be able to move without the Bills permission

You know, I'd be all right with this move, but for one thing: I'm damn sick and tired of the completely inexplicable gameday breakdowns on the Bills' sideline. Is competence too much to ask for?

Ralph answered this question by suggesting that the current staff will learn from their incompetence. This is not unlike the hoax they pulled on many of us this year with the offense. We somehow believed that the departure of Fairchild with no key changes in personnel would lead to sinificant improvement. In the end the results clearly show, a largely unchanged system and coaching leads to the same sad results.

I have suspected since the Miami game that Jauron was staying (why else would Ralph point to "talent" as the problem?) I never in my wildest dreams would have believed that Jauron would be allowed to return the entire coaching staff or that he has sole discretion over this. If Jauron has any sense whatsoever he will bring in a proven OC and QB coach and not stick to what essentially is still Fairchild's system with a bit of bad window dressing.

Ralph answered this question by suggesting that the current staff will learn from their incompetence. This is not unlike the hoax they pulled on many of us this year with the offense. We somehow believed that the departure of Fairchild with no key changes in personnel would lead to sinificant improvement. In the end the results clearly show, a largely unchanged system and coaching leads to the same sad results.

I have suspected since the Miami game that Jauron was staying (why else would Ralph point to "talent" as the problem?) I never in my wildest dreams would have believed that Jauron would be allowed to return the entire coaching staff or that he has sole discretion over this. If Jauron has any sense whatsoever he will bring in a proven OC and QB coach and not stick to what essentially is still Fairchild's system with a bit of bad window dressing.

Now, see, I'll go at that from a different direction. Give me a No. 2 WR to take some heat off Evans -- Hardy doesn't count, because Eddie Royal and Marques Colston are the exception to the rule where rookie WRs are concerned -- and a legitimate NFL-quality TE for the first time in forever, and Turk automagically becomes a better OC.

So it's New Year's Eve, and we're already looking forward to free agency and the draft. Again. Great ...

I don't know what either one of you is talking about. Trent may be out of the league soon, but he will be back with the Bills in 09.

We will be drafting a QB next year if he doesn't show something in '09 (staying healthy would be nice) If we were smart we'd draft a QB late this year

Now, see, I'll go at that from a different direction. Give me a No. 2 WR to take some heat off Evans -- Hardy doesn't count, because Eddie Royal and Marques Colston are the exception to the rule where rookie WRs are concerned

good news, Hardy's not a rookie anymore

good news, Hardy's not a rookie anymore

No, now he's a second-year player who didn't show much as a rookie, AND he's coming back from a late-season ACL tear.

I repeat: Great ....

This is exactly where I am now. I was telling a friend at work today that, in a way, it's mind-boggling. Jauron--a great former player, an obviously really smart guy--should be great on gameday and should be able to match football wits with the likes of Bellichick.

But there's this missing link--it's puzzling. In crucial situations, when he should be conservative, he's risky; when he should be risky, he's conservative; when he should challenge a call, he doesn't; vice versa. How can this be?

i couldn't agree more, and it is extremely frustrating. one would think that jauron could hold his own with anybody due to his education and pedigree but on game day he looks lost sometimes. it is like he over thinks situations and tries way too hard to out fox the other guy.

i couldn't agree more, and it is extremely frustrating. one would think that jauron could hold his own with anybody due to his education and pedigree but on game day he looks lost sometimes. it is like he over thinks situations and tries way too hard to out fox the other guy.

Wilson might have some closeness to Jauron because he got his start as an assistant coach at Buffalo in 1985,who knows.

Jauron played 8 years in the NFL and has spent 23 years as a coach 8 1/2 of those as a head coach with Chicago,Buffalo and the 1/2 at Detroit. Turk Schonert has 10 years as a back up QB and another 10 as an assistant coach. that's 31 years for Jauron and 20 years for Schonert, 51 years combined NFL experience and they still manage to make idiotic game day decisions and calls.

If I didn't know better it was almost as if he tanked the last part of the season on purpose so Wilson would fire him and he could relax for 3 years while still being paid. :beer:

Pennington was a massive upgrade, to be sure, although some here mocked that possibility when he first went to Miami.

The thing about Pennington that always stuck out while he was playing for the Jets was when he was behind nearing the end of the fourth quarter, and they'd have him throwing those quick outs to receivers to pick up a few yards on their way out of bounds to kill the clock. I must have seen him give up a pick-six at least eight or nine times. To me...THAT was his real weakness; not just the quick out, but the fact that everyone saw it coming.

I don't think I saw him throw that pass this entire season. It seemed like most of his stuff was in the middle of the field where, even if it was picked, the receivers had a ton of traffic in front of them.

His TD/INT ratio was off the Richter this year in relative terms.

2006 he had 17 TDs, but 16 INTs.

2007 he had 10 TDs, but 9 INTs.

This year he had 19 TDs, and only 7 picks.

Maybe it's not always the player, but rather, how the player is used.

I have never heard anyone in the organization that does not hold Jauron in the highest regard. I love how fans project their frustrations on others who have never indicated any of those feelings in the slightest.

My favorite poster so far is the guy who is going to become a Detroit fan because of his frustration over the Management of the Bills. Good luck with that one.

I believe we have a better chance at success in 2009 with Jauron than by blowing the whole thing up and starting again. We were the 2nd youngest team in the league last year and played several games with a quarterback who will soon be out of the NFL. The wailing and gnashing of teeth out there is understandable but as Marv Levy wisely said "if you listen to the fans, you will soon be one". Meanwhile, I remain a loyal Bills fan and thankful that Ralph Wilson has kept a team in Buffalo for close to 50 years.

Jauron is a football tard.

Education and pedigree don't necessarily ensure success. Football is a game of tactics and emotion. The ability to sense when it's time to go in for the kill is intuitive, not cerebral, and is a snap judgment, not analytical. Knowing when to support the team and when to make one an example comes from the gut, not the mind. Jauron has the mind, but is completely missing the other part. Watch him talk after games and you can see he genuinely doesn't understand why he loses. He'll never ever figure it out because he's incapable of understanding the non-analytical part of football. Isn't it interesting when you consider Jauron only has half the tools to be successful, his teams have only once been better than 50/50. But as they say, even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while.

Having looked at next year's schedule it wouldn't surprise me to see only 2 or 3 wins. Bill's management has consistently missed the point on the core parts of the team; the o and d lines. I see nothing different in the future. Competing with playoff caliber teams (of which there will be plenty next season) requires winning the battles up front, and sticking it with long enough to wear down the opponent. The current Bill's players aren't capable of winning those battles, and the Bill's coaches don't have the fortitude or understanding to stick with it even if the players were capable.

I have to admit, I got sucked in this year and thought the Bill's had finally gotten legit. But in the end, they didn't possess the fundamentals to win consistently, or compete against the better teams. Unfortunately we're in for more of the same next year.

Apparently, Wilson thinks that he has identified the root cause of his problem. The main problem with his dysfunctional outfit is that there hasn't been "enough continuity" in the past decade. So, he's going to fix that problem by keeping a guy that is a proven failure and who has been outwitted, out coached, and out played time and time again and keeps making the same blunders.

Of course, Wilson hasn't really identified the problem, has he? That's why the fans are enraged. The problem isn't that we haven't stuck with bad coaches long enough, the problem is that we keep hiring bad and incompetent coaches. Not only that but these coaches blow the team up when they come in, set the team back years, and then show they can't coach their way out of a paper bag. So, we are left with a "solution" to a fictional problem, but we haven't identified the true problem.

Now, let's juxtapose something from Wilson's statement. He said that there will be no changes because his "inner circle" chatted and they chatted with Dick "Cheerio Chaps!" Jauron and they believe they've identified the problems as to why this team is spinning its wheels and they believe they have the solutions.

Ask yourself: do you believe them?

Hell no. That's because I truly believe Jauron is incapable of properly dissecting and analyzing a problem.

He seems to coach from an X and O, percentages, and tendency perspective. But he does not fully understand how those percentages are created, and how they can be interpreted, and used.

Now, see, I'll go at that from a different direction. Give me a No. 2 WR to take some heat off Evans -- Hardy doesn't count, because Eddie Royal and Marques Colston are the exception to the rule where rookie WRs are concerned -- and a legitimate NFL-quality TE for the first time in forever, and Turk automagically becomes a better OC.

So it's New Year's Eve, and we're already looking forward to free agency and the draft. Again. Great ...

Unfortunately, unless Jauron figures out how to an NFL HC, next year at this time we will be doing the same thing.

Pennington was a massive upgrade, to be sure, although some here mocked that possibility when he first went to Miami. But there was also an overhaul in the team's philosophy from Cameron to Sparano. Not only did TS reverse some questionable decisions by the previous regime (playing Joey Porter over the TE?), he let the players know that if they didn't perform, he'd find someone who would.

That would be a refreshing change here, where Jauron's "well, we'd rather be 12-0, but we're not, oh well, maybe next week" postgame pressers have become a running joke.

You know, I'd be all right with this move, but for one thing: I'm damn sick and tired of the completely inexplicable gameday breakdowns on the Bills' sideline. Is competence too much to ask for?

The problem is that these two teams have entirely different situations. Say Jauron tells a player(s) "do it my way or you're gone!" What do you think the player's response would be? "Great, I'll get out of this podunk city with lousy weather and high taxes, and go to some big city." I think people have blinders on when it comes to Buffalo and just how undesirable a place it is for a lot of players to live/play.

The problem is that these two teams have entirely different situations. Say Jauron tells a player(s) "do it my way or you're gone!" What do you think the player's response would be? "Great, I'll get out of this podunk city with lousy weather and high taxes, and go to some big city." I think people have blinders on when it comes to Buffalo and just how undesirable a place it is for a lot of players to live/play.

You assume those players would draw the same paycheck in a different city. Not sure anyone else was lining up to give Dockery (for example) the contract he signed here ...

You assume those players would draw the same paycheck in a different city. Not sure anyone else was lining up to give Dockery (for example) the contract he signed here ...

Dockery received a hefty signing bonus. And he'd still garner a decent contract with another decent-sized bonus. And if he played for a Florida team, he'd have no state tax. And sometimes being in a better situation is worth taking less money.

Dockery received a hefty signing bonus. And he'd still garner a decent contract with another decent-sized bonus. And if he played for a Florida team, he'd have no state tax. And sometimes being in a better situation is worth taking less money.

When the offensive free agents were looking to sign with the Buffalo Bills in the off season did they know that they would be in the hands of a rookie offensive coordinator,rookie offensive line coach,rookie QB coach?

Turk Schonert was true to his word that he wouldn't be as conservative as Fairchild and would actually utilize the full back in the Buffalo Bills offensive scheme,to bad it took him most of the season to figure out he had some really good running backs on the offense.

It was just incredibly lame on his part to keep forcing the Bills QB's to throw so much when he had such a great (under used) running back tandem in Lynch and Jackson. He called the shotgun play 95% of the time previous to the Cleveland game,he never even tried to establish a running game,with him it was always pass first. Which scares me into thinking he will do the exact same thing next season.The play calling in critical situations appeared to grow worse as the season was ending.