Think things are bad now?

thewildrabbit

In 2009, yes. They would tear apart the team and start anew. By 2011, we would probably be a contender. It may be one reason Wilson made the choice he did. At 90, your time horizon gets a little narrow.

You do realize the Miami Dophins won the AFCE with an 11 - 5 record?

:wallbash:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Complete and utter flukes. Actually, I think those teams did well not because of their coaches, but because of key personnel changes (swap in Pennington for Cleo Lemon in Miami; and Turner/Matt Ryan for their Atlanta dopplegangers--and you have the reason for their turn-arounds).

There are a lot of transaction costs and risk with any coaching change.

Chad Pennington turned the Miami Dophins from a 1 - 15 team to a 11 - 5 team?

When the offensive free agents were looking to sign with the Buffalo Bills in the off season did they know that they would be in the hands of a rookie offensive coordinator,rookie offensive line coach,rookie QB coach?

The only offensive FA I recall the Bills pursuing was Bryant Johnson. He esched the Bills' low multi-year deal so that he could "showcase" himself in Mike Martz' offense. Now he'll be an UFA again, and probably won't even be offered what the Bills offered him.

Were there any other offensive FA's the Bills were looking at?

You assume those players would draw the same paycheck in a different city. Not sure anyone else was lining up to give Dockery (for example) the contract he signed here ...

Or Jauron for that matter.

Education and pedigree don't necessarily ensure success. Football is a game of tactics and emotion. The ability to sense when it's time to go in for the kill is intuitive, not cerebral, and is a snap judgment, not analytical. Knowing when to support the team and when to make one an example comes from the gut, not the mind. Jauron has the mind, but is completely missing the other part. Watch him talk after games and you can see he genuinely doesn't understand why he loses. He'll never ever figure it out because he's incapable of understanding the non-analytical part of football. Isn't it interesting when you consider Jauron only has half the tools to be successful, his teams have only once been better than 50/50. But as they say, even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while.

Having looked at next year's schedule it wouldn't surprise me to see only 2 or 3 wins. Bill's management has consistently missed the point on the core parts of the team; the o and d lines. I see nothing different in the future. Competing with playoff caliber teams (of which there will be plenty next season) requires winning the battles up front, and sticking it with long enough to wear down the opponent. The current Bill's players aren't capable of winning those battles, and the Bill's coaches don't have the fortitude or understanding to stick with it even if the players were capable.

I have to admit, I got sucked in this year and thought the Bill's had finally gotten legit. But in the end, they didn't possess the fundamentals to win consistently, or compete against the better teams. Unfortunately we're in for more of the same next year.

Wonderful perspective there. I think that sums up many of Bills fans' concerns with respect to this coaching staff. Today I went over the opponents next season, and it's plain scary. CAR, ATL, IND, TEN, and the AFCE teams twice. That's 10 tough games, with HOU, CLE, KC, JAC, NO, and TB. Even with a huge infusion of talent, this coaching staff has never proven the ability to beat good teams. It won't begin next season.

You are correct re: DJ. He is so slow to recognize on gameday and has no presence to realize what is happening, This was on display at the end of the first half against NE. I watched from the front row in section 123 how Preston fell for the bait from the Patriots. And DJ sauntered onto the field to take to referee Gene Steratore when the clock expired. That single play was a microcosm of the entire season with Buffalo players unaware of the moment and a coach of the same mindset.

I didnt know that is it an NFL rule? if so great news for us we don't have much of that around here lately.

The rule is, that unless the Bills were to demote April, or fire him, no team can talk to him for a position that is a lesser position then what he currently holds, I think its one of the major reasons why the Bills offered him the Assistant Head Coaching position, so the only real way someone could get permission to talk to him is if they offer him the HC job somewhere. The league rules also state that a team cannot deny one of their coaches the opportunity of talking to another team about taking over a higher position on another team

The problem is that these two teams have entirely different situations. Say Jauron tells a player(s) "do it my way or you're gone!" What do you think the player's response would be? "Great, I'll get out of this podunk city with lousy weather and high taxes, and go to some big city." I think people have blinders on when it comes to Buffalo and just how undesirable a place it is for a lot of players to live/play.

The other assumption you make is they would be starting someplace else, or get stuck with a coach they do not like.

As "crappy" as Buffalo is as place to live and work, it is still one of only 32 situations in the USA where an athlete can play in the NFL.

The other assumption you make is they would be starting someplace else, or get stuck with a coach they do not like.

As "crappy" as Buffalo is as place to live and work, it is still one of only 32 situations in the USA where an athlete can play in the NFL.

Dockery would have received a large contract wherever he signed when he was an UFA. Guys like Kelsay and Denney wouldn't have and were mistakes. But their cap hits are sizable enough to protect them for now.

The only offensive FA I recall the Bills pursuing was Bryant Johnson. He esched the Bills' low multi-year deal so that he could "showcase" himself in Mike Martz' offense. Now he'll be an UFA again, and probably won't even be offered what the Bills offered him.

Were there any other offensive FA's the Bills were looking at?

Yeah. Darian Barnes and Corey McIntyre. They also talked to TEs Ben Troupe and Alge Crumpler, but ended up signing the dangerous downfield duo of Courtney Anderson and Teyo Johnson instead.

sigh ...

Yeah. Darian Barnes and Corey McIntyre. They also talked to TEs Ben Troupe and Alge Crumpler, but ended up signing the dangerous downfield duo of Courtney Anderson and Teyo Johnson instead.

sigh ...

Classic..

And the sad thing is neither made it past the final round of cuts. If I remember correctly, Teyo was one of the first guys to get cut.

sigh ...

Troupe didn't play this year. And from what I recall, Crumpler never even talked with the Bills. Not that it would have made a difference if he had, seeing as how little the Bills utilize the TE. I'd rather have had Gonzalez, but he didn't want to play here.

The Bills stated they would bring back the "Fullback" position for 08 after Fairchild dropped them, instead he was for utilizing the TE as a blocking back.

I didn't actually see the Bills use a fullback much this season,the plays I did notice though were the dropped passes to the fullback.

I notice that Lorenzo Neal singed a one year deal with the Ravens last year and man he still has what it takes to lead block. I wonder If the bills will pursue him this off season?

I can't help but look at the Ravens with envious eyes,that punishing running game they use...

The same OC,Cam Cameron and same FB, Lorenzo Neal that the Chargers had the year they went 14-2. Both Neal and Cameron were on the market last year and instead the bills got Schonert and Barnes / McIntyre :doh: