Newspapers and home delivery

\GoBillsInDallas/

Off your topic, but related...are you aware that USA Today is now $1.00?

I didn't know that 'til last Monday, when my Mother gave me $.75 to get a USA Today for her while we were out having breakfast. I don't read it regularly any more and when I do, I just go online.

Fairport's GateHouse Media sues NY Times Co. over copyright. interesting read.

"What the Globe is doing is what everybody says newspapers should be doing," said Kennedy, referring to aggregating content like Google News.

Kennedy, however, said the Boston.com model is different since it puts up advertising, unlike Google News.

GateHouse, he said, can make an argument that Boston.com is profiting from GateHouse journalism.

"It will be interesting to see the outcome," Kennedy said. "This is one of the most important stories about the newspaper business right now."

In case you missed it, the Detroit newspapers are now going to have only 3-day-per-week home delivery:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/16/detroit.newspapers/

They will still publish 7 days, but the M-T-W-Sa papers will not be home delivered, but available only on newstands.

Wonder how soon other newspapers will follow suit?

Very soon - too expensive to print and deliver papers - everything will be online within the next five years unless you go buy a paper copy at a news stand. I say in less than 8 years there will no longer be printed papers

Long lost, I had a souvenir from a grade school tour of the BEN's press works and lino shop...they cast our names in lead moveable type, all letters cast in one piece so we could use it to stamp our names. :beer:

Still had two of them in the pressroom at my current shop, way back when I started hanging out there as a snot-nosed kid. Long gone, of course, as is the shop itself. Our paper is now printed two counties away from the town listed on the nameplate.

I for one, prefer the hard copy rather than digital version. Kinda hard to prop a laptop on my knees while on the toilet.

Not really. I surf the web and post here while i'm on the can all the time. Maybe i'm on the can right now. :unsure:

There's been a *LOT* of discussion on this move inside the industry since we first started hearing the rumors at the end of November. My take: are the savings from cutting delivery back by 60% really worth the cost of pissing off the few loyal print subscribers they have left? If the OTH ever tries this, I'm canceling the same day the announcement comes out.

James brings up a good point about the ever-shrinking newspaper, which also sneakily continues to get narrower, hoping the readers won't notice and trying to claim it's "easier to hold" when they do.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Who owns 95 percent of the Detroit Media Partnership? If you guessed the company pictured in my avatar, you win a prize -- one share of Gannett stock, assuming it hasn't been delisted yet.

Gannett's "downsized" Cincinnati Enquirer daily started this week (12/29/08). 3 sections. Classifieds a couple of days per week. The Monday NFL stats dropped the team numbers.

Tuesdays' edition - 26 pages total.

:censored:

<========= Have I mentioned lately how much I dislike Gannett?

Gannett's "downsized" Cincinnati Enquirer daily started this week (12/29/08). 3 sections. Classifieds a couple of days per week. The Monday NFL stats dropped the team numbers.

Tuesdays' edition - 26 pages total.

:censored:

Bet they didn't drop the price any, though. I expect anywhere from 20-24 pages in the Times Herald, my daily paper; we live in a rural area, and there really isn't that much local news unless they turn it into a "community" newspaper. (Read: pictures of babies and puppy dogs, and cotton candy for the mind.)

Twenty-six pages for a metro in a one-newspaper town (R.I.P., Cincy Post)? Yeah, that's a different story.

<========= Have I mentioned lately how much I dislike Gannett?

Bet they didn't drop the price any, though. I expect anywhere from 20-24 pages in the Times Herald, my daily paper; we live in a rural area, and there really isn't that much local news unless they turn it into a "community" newspaper. (Read: pictures of babies and puppy dogs, and cotton candy for the mind.)

Twenty-six pages for a metro in a one-newspaper town (R.I.P., Cincy Post)? Yeah, that's a different story.

No price drop. They went from 50 to 75 cents a few weeks ago.

Guesstimate: 40% of the 10 page Section A acreage was advertising...one of them was a full page. The weather report now shows up on page A2...

I have a suggestion - get possession of the paper certificate for that share of Gannett you own, and put it in a picture frame. It will be a folksy conversation piece. :censored:

... and there really isn't that much local news unless they turn it into a "community" newspaper. (Read: pictures of babies and puppy dogs, and cotton candy for the mind.)

Have a cousin that worked at a community newspaper one time. One day at my grandmothers, we could hear sirens, and my grandmother asked her why wasn't she going to get details to report. her answer.... "We only print the good news". So a couple years later when the plant where my Dad worked shut down, and it did make the front page, we joked around that it was an article on the "free job training" the employees were going to get, not the plant shutting down.

No price drop. They went from 50 to 75 cents a few weeks ago.

Guesstimate: 40% of the 10 page Section A acreage was advertising...one of them was a full page. The weather report now shows up on page A2...

I have a suggestion - get possession of the paper certificate for that share of Gannett you own, and put it in a picture frame. It will be a folksy conversation piece. :censored:

Right up there next to the ones from TWA.

Have a cousin that worked at a community newspaper one time. One day at my grandmothers, we could hear sirens, and my grandmother asked her why wasn't she going to get details to report. her answer.... "We only print the good news". So a couple years later when the plant where my Dad worked shut down, and it did make the front page, we joked around that it was an article on the "free job training" the employees were going to get, not the plant shutting down.

Where do you think I work now? :angry:

Kidding, boss, just kidding. Our ME actually kicked ass and won statewide awards for his coverage of the Adelphia/Rigas mess, was instrumental in getting some trailer-park Nazis to pack up and leave his county, and battles the county commissioners on an almost weekly basis.

Yeah, we've been known to run a few cute-kids-with-ice-cream photos ... and in a small town, stuff like that does have its place. (Their parents and grandparents do buy the paper, you know, or at least we hope they do.) But I've seen some -- not ours, of course ;) -- that read exactly as you describe. In my specific genre, the football team may have gotten waxed by 50 points for the ninth game in a row, but "the kids played hard and we're still proud of them." That kind of stuff, more appropriate for a booster-club newsletter than an allegedly impartial newsgathering operation. Bleah.