PFW audibles - quotes from NFL scouts/personnel people

dave mcbride

I don't disagree with your reaction, but maybe the person is referring to the contract that was signed round about week 6 of the 08 season ...

Wouldn't that be a Ralph decision?

Not to hijack the thread, but if the Bills signed Jauron in week 6, when they were 5-1, why wouldn't they announce it? I don't recall the Bills holding back on announcing contracts until the end of the year. They don't reveal details, but they announce signings right away, don't they? They wouldn't have been embarrassed then, as the record was quite good. It just doesn't add up.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to evaluate Guy and Modrak, because we're not sure they're as involved in the decision making progress. They may be competent, but their role is to assist the GM and supply him with information regarding other pros or draft eligible players. They are not the decision making guys, which is why a GM is necessary to bring everyone together and get the team to success.

I think people don't understand the a Pro Personnel Director and College Scouting Director assist in maintaining the GM's vision of the team. They should have input into which players are acquired, but it's on the GM to guide all the personnel decisions. Brandon has no experience whatsoever in that. None.

There is no NFL franchise that exists with this front office set up. The titles may not be the same, but every team either has a decision maker or a bonafide team like NE does with Pioli and Belichick.

I think the Bills do what the Pats* do, except their team is of 4 instead of 2. A GM is typical, but not necessary. There are many different management structures that can be successful. I'm sure you are used to the orderly line of command of the military. That isn't the only way it can work, though.

“What is (Bills chief operating officer ) Russ Brandon doing on the road, trying to parade around as a football guy and pretend he knows what he is looking at? Look at his contracts — he can’t even take care of business in his own field. What makes him think he can evaluate? He’s a bean counter. He has no business pretending he knows talent.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...udibles2324.htm

Quote probably came fro the Denver organization after yesterdays loss :lol:

Say whatever you want about the validity of the quote. If you don't think this is the general sentiment around the NFL, you are crazy. It is pretty embarrassing for an organization that built a strong reputation on talent evaluation.

And you know this how? For all we know, that quote might have come from Tom Donahoe. I am not defending Brandon, but to use this quote as the basis for any conclusion is ridiculous.

I think the Bills do what the Pats* do, except their team is of 4 instead of 2. A GM is typical, but not necessary. There are many different management structures that can be successful. I'm sure you are used to the orderly line of command of the military. That isn't the only way it can work, though.

The Bills version of Modrak, Guy, Brandon, and DJ is not even in the same room as Belichick, Pioli, and whomever they have handle Pro Personnel and College Scouting. Not even close. Suggesting that their setups are similar is merely a generalized comparison which ignores the substance of both teams' front office arrangements.

Modrak, and Guy have been around for 8 seasons. Their acquisitions haven't been anywhere near what the Patsies have done in that time frame.

I'm sorry, but Buffalo's front office should not be rewarded for futility. Remove the TD years, and it's still be three full years of rebuilding. That's not cutting it in the 21st century NFL.

The Bills version of Modrak, Guy, Brandon, and DJ is not even in the same room as Belichick, Pioli, and whomever they have handle Pro Personnel and College Scouting. Not even close. Suggesting that their setups are similar is merely a generalized comparison which ignores the substance of both teams' front office arrangements.

Modrak, and Guy have been around for 8 seasons. Their acquisitions haven't been anywhere near what the Patsies have done in that time frame.

I'm sorry, but Buffalo's front office should not be rewarded for futility. Remove the TD years, and it's still be three full years of rebuilding. That's not cutting it in the 21st century NFL.

I was talking about FO structure, when comparing the Pats* and Bills.

The main problem with the Bills FO, for many years is finding the right coaches.

I truly don't understand this complete hatred of everything the Bills' FO does. For the last 3 years, the team has appeared to have a very clear direction and has methodically been putting pieces into place. We needed to cut aging verterans and change the attitude of the team in year 1; they did that. In year 2, we addressed the Oline in FA and draft our future QB and RB (all big problems in 2006). In year three, they address the middle of the defense through FA, draft 2 big WRs and draft for depth (all big problems in 2007).

Perhaps, people just dislike all the players they bring in? But, you cannot deny that each year they've done a pretty decent job of assessing the team's weakness and working to strengthen that weakness through FA and the draft. All while keeping the Bills out of cap hell.

Have we not strengthened the Oline? Have we not strengthened the middle of our defense? Have we not solidified the secondary? Have we not found our RB and QB of the future? Have we not added depth to the team? I say yes on all accounts.

I fully expect we'll bring in DE help this offseason, a new OLB, a Center, and continue drafting for depth. Why? Because those are our glaring weaknesses.

So, why is Brandon and the FO so horrible?

Is it just because of Jauron? Is it because all of their decisions haven't been perfect? Why? I would offer that no one is perfect or hits 100% of the time. But, if people cannot see the progress this team has made, it's because they're just not looking.

I truly don't understand this complete hatred of everything the Bills' FO does. For the last 3 years, the team has appeared to have a very clear direction and has methodically been putting pieces into place. We needed to cut aging verterans and change the attitude of the team in year 1; they did that. In year 2, we addressed the Oline in FA and draft our future QB and RB (all big problems in 2006). In year three, they address the middle of the defense through FA, draft 2 big WRs and draft for depth (all big problems in 2007).

Perhaps, people just dislike all the players they bring in? But, you cannot deny that each year they've done a pretty decent job of assessing the team's weakness and working to strengthen that weakness through FA and the draft. All while keeping the Bills out of cap hell.

Have we not strengthened the Oline? Have we not strengthened the middle of our defense? Have we not solidified the secondary? Have we not found our RB and QB of the future? Have we not added depth to the team? I say yes on all accounts.

I fully expect we'll bring in DE help this offseason, a new OLB, a Center, and continue drafting for depth. Why? Because those are our glaring weaknesses.

So, why is Brandon and the FO so horrible?

Is it just because of Jauron? Is it because all of their decisions haven't been perfect? Why? I would offer that no one is perfect or hits 100% of the time. But, if people cannot see the progress this team has made, it's because they're just not looking.

You make perfect sense, so it's not unexpected people on this board will disagree with you. The issue, I think, is the frustration of the record and playoff non-appearances. The sense that this season has been a waste, given the great start.

Had we beaten SF and Cleveland (Good God!) at home, or the Jets on the road, we'd be playing for the division title on Sunday. Go figure.

Personally, at this point I'd rather give our rookie OC another year, because what I've seen of playcalling (save the few failures) has been exactly what we've been calling for the last few years. I have a feeling this staff will be back next year, and if Ralph has to clean house after next year, he'll save some money.

You make perfect sense, so it's not unexpected people on this board will disagree with you. The issue, I think, is the frustration of the record and playoff non-appearances. The sense that this season has been a waste, given the great start.

Had we beaten SF and Cleveland (Good God!) at home, or the Jets on the road, we'd be playing for the division title on Sunday. Go figure.

Personally, at this point I'd rather give our rookie OC another year, because what I've seen of playcalling (save the few failures) has been exactly what we've been calling for the last few years. I have a feeling this staff will be back next year, and if Ralph has to clean house after next year, he'll save some money.

I can completely agree with the frustration with this team. I think we're all frustrated. And, of course, we all want the same thing - the Bills winning a Super Bowl. However, is it really as bad as it appears? Should we really get rid of the entire FO, the entire coaching staff, and half the players as so many seem to suggest?

Look at the flip side - the Jets. They spent what, about $160 million dollars last off season. They've drafted the center we all wanted. They got the QB that can save the world. A genius for a HC. Wow, now that's a FO set on winning! Hmmm... so why are they on the verge of not making the playoffs? And if they don't and Favre retires, where are they?

I say be careful what you wish for.

I'm definitely torn on our coaching staff and readily concede it is perhaps the biggest blunder of the FO. However, if we replace them, who do we bring in? Sure some teams do it and look great the next year (Miami, Baltimore, Atlanta), but it doesn't always work that way (Oakland, San Diego, Kansas City). So, again, I think some people need to be careful what they wish for.

It's actually a pretty good feature. I've come across some good stuff there over the past couple of years that proved to be true. It's anonymous so that people can be candid! Also, journalism is built on anonymous sources.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that any 'journalist' would run with one anonymous source.

This is simply reporting what you hear, not journalism.

I was talking about FO structure, when comparing the Pats* and Bills.

The main problem with the Bills FO, for many years is finding the right coaches.

Their talent evaluators can't be excused either. I'll maintain TD didn't have a vision for what this team would become and I'm speaking about an identity here.

Buffalo badly needs one guy that can take a vision and find the players to fit it. A GM has this vision, finds those players, and goes about getting a coach to make it happen. I know a lot of people on this board hate Parcells, but he has done this in textbook fashion for Miami. The cost was high, and the results are above and beyond what any reasonable NFL thought could happen, but it's paid off.

Their talent evaluators can't be excused either. I'll maintain TD didn't have a vision for what this team would become and I'm speaking about an identity here.

You're a bit off on this. TD definitely had a vision for the team that was going to be led by a star QB and a solid running game. Unfortunately, he gave up too much value for the players received in his quest, and the Bills are still paying for it.

I can completely agree with the frustration with this team. I think we're all frustrated. And, of course, we all want the same thing - the Bills winning a Super Bowl. However, is it really as bad as it appears? Should we really get rid of the entire FO, the entire coaching staff, and half the players as so many seem to suggest?

Look at the flip side - the Jets. They spent what, about $160 million dollars last off season. They've drafted the center we all wanted. They got the QB that can save the world. A genius for a HC. Wow, now that's a FO set on winning! Hmmm... so why are they on the verge of not making the playoffs? And if they don't and Favre retires, where are they?

I say be careful what you wish for.

I'm definitely torn on our coaching staff and readily concede it is perhaps the biggest blunder of the FO. However, if we replace them, who do we bring in? Sure some teams do it and look great the next year (Miami, Baltimore, Atlanta), but it doesn't always work that way (Oakland, San Diego, Kansas City). So, again, I think some people need to be careful what they wish for.

I'm actually agreeing with you - I don't think "blow it all up" is warranted, and neither do I think this team is devoid of talent. The coaching doesn't exactly inspire me, but the difference between playoffs and not-playoffs this year has not been the coaching, it's been: Losman playing in 2+ games; Jason Peters sucking for half the year; Trent being "figured out" by division teams that have seen him 3+ times now; the lack of legit pass rush with Schoebel out; etc, etc. And don't forget that this team is very young in many of the key positions.

Ralph had a point after Miami that the talent on this team needs an upgrade. But compare this roster to 2 or 3 years ago, and this team is definitely on the right track, personnel wise. The problem with building through the draft is that it takes a lot longer than the patience of the typical fan.

You're a bit off on this. TD definitely had a vision for the team that was going to be led by a star QB and a solid running game. Unfortunately, he gave up too much value for the players received in his quest, and the Bills are still paying for it.

I respectfully disagree. Those first two seasons he rebuilt the team, which was obvious considering they went 3-13 in 01. But beginning with the McGahee pick in 03, he began stocking this team in a haphazard way. He hit on some UFA's in Fletcher and Spikes, but coming off the 8-8 season in 02 he selected another RB (after taking Henry in the 2nd of 01) with a first rounder.

To me, that was where things were spinning out of control. Going with Evans was a fine pick in 04, but there were bigger needs elsehwere. In 05, he used his top two picks on a small WR and TE. Again, there were more pressing needs elsewhere.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that any 'journalist' would run with one anonymous source.

This is simply reporting what you hear, not journalism.

That's why "WWHI" is PFW's version of a gossip column. Believe it or don't; some of it ends up being true, some not. Is it "journalism"? Depends on who you ask. You wouldn't write a story from a single anonymous source ... but to be honest, I don't see anything wrong with this.

“What is (Bills chief operating officer ) Russ Brandon doing on the road, trying to parade around as a football guy and pretend he knows what he is looking at? Look at his contracts — he can’t even take care of business in his own field. What makes him think he can evaluate? He’s a bean counter. He has no business pretending he knows talent.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...udibles2324.htm

PFW < RJ

That pub has become a shell of its former self.

I respectfully disagree. Those first two seasons he rebuilt the team, which was obvious considering they went 3-13 in 01. But beginning with the McGahee pick in 03, he began stocking this team in a haphazard way. He hit on some UFA's in Fletcher and Spikes, but coming off the 8-8 season in 02 he selected another RB (after taking Henry in the 2nd of 01) with a first rounder.

Henry was an "off-the-field" disaster from day one. In the first 20 weeks of his career, TH refused to learn the playbook, claimed dyslexia, missed team meetings, picked up a teen at a gas station and missed a team flight. Donahoe's mistake was taking Willis over Larry Johnson.