Brian Billick and Mike Nolan

ProFootballTalk ran a report today about Brian Billick and Mike Nolan shopping themselves as a head coach/defensive coordinator (respectively) combo.

I, for one, would love to bring them in here. I know that Billick can sometimes only be tolerated in doses, but at least he's passionate. He has won a Super Bowl. Heck, the only thing I think he failed at was truly finding a QB. As far as Nolan, he was a tremendous coordinator for the Ravens.

Additionally, Billick is still being paid for the next two years after being fired by the Ravens, and Nolan has one more year left on his deal with the 49ers. I don't exactly know how all of that works out, but to me, logic says that the Bills could offer him a deal with low money for year's one and two (say one million per) and the Ravens would have to pick up the rest of the tab owed, and then the Bills could - in an effort to make it attractive - pay him four million a year for years three and four. That would only be a committment of four years, $10 million for a top notch guy.

This has me excited again. Let's hope Christmas comes again after the season...

ProFootballTalk ran a report today about Brian Billick and Mike Nolan shopping themselves as a head coach/defensive coordinator (respectively) combo.

I, for one, would love to bring them in here. I know that Billick can sometimes only be tolerated in doses, but at least he's passionate. He has won a Super Bowl. Heck, the only thing I think he failed at was truly finding a QB. As far as Nolan, he was a tremendous coordinator for the Ravens.

Additionally, Billick is still being paid for the next two years after being fired by the Ravens, and Nolan has one more year left on his deal with the 49ers. I don't exactly know how all of that works out, but to me, logic says that the Bills could offer him a deal with low money for year's one and two (say one million per) and the Ravens would have to pick up the rest of the tab owed, and then the Bills could - in an effort to make it attractive - pay him four million a year for years three and four. That would only be a committment of four years, $10 million for a top notch guy.

horrible choices...please tell me you are kidding

Very intriguing. My only concern is Nolan's affinity for the 3-4, which we don't have the personnel to operate.

How in the world do you consider these horrible choices? Billick is a Super Bowl winning head coach and Nolan mightve sucked at being a HC, but how can you say you wouldn't want him as the DC? That's what vaulted him into the head coaching world in the first place.

Absolutely not. You can not tell me these guys would do any worse than what we've had here for the last decade. He coached for the Ravens 9 seasons. That does not happen accidentally. He had a winning record five of those nine seasons. He was 8-8 once. His worst season was his last, when they went 5-11. That's one less win than we have in '08. I would like to know why you think they are "horrible" choices. I would rather bring in a retread like Billick than bring in another "hot" coordinator like Spagnuolo or McDaniel who we will ultimately ruin and fire in three seasons.

Very intriguing. My only concern is Nolan's affinity for the 3-4, which we don't have the personnel to operate.

I don't think we'd be as far off as you think. We are set a CB, which is relatively important in a 3-4 (moreso than in our Cover 2). We could rotate guys like Kelsay, Denney, and Johnson at end. Stroud and Williams can still plug up the middle. At LB, we could try to slide Schobel back there and make him more effective coming off the edge. Posluszny and Mitchell could move inside, and we could focus on drafting another OLB. I think with just a draft pick here and a free agent signing there, we could seriously run an adequate 3-4. And Terrell Suggs has the franchise tag on him. He'd cost a fortune, but if he hits the market he'd instantly add a dimension to our D that we have not had in some time.

Also, with the 3-4 D... Imagine (and again, at this point, it's all we got) signing Suggs to play OLB and drafting a DE like Tyson Jackson out of LSU to play DE. He could be a stud on our defensive line for years - similiar to the way the Patriots have ridden Richard Seymour in their 3-4. Now I am getting excited...

Absolutely not. You can not tell me these guys would do any worse than what we've had here for the last decade. He coached for the Ravens 9 seasons. That does not happen accidentally. He had a winning record five of those nine seasons. He was 8-8 once. His worst season was his last, when they went 5-11. That's one less win than we have in '08. I would like to know why you think they are "horrible" choices. I would rather bring in a retread like Billick than bring in another "hot" coordinator like Spagnuolo or McDaniel who we will ultimately ruin and fire in three seasons.

I don't think we'd be as far off as you think. We are set a CB, which is relatively important in a 3-4 (moreso than in our Cover 2). We could rotate guys like Kelsay, Denney, and Johnson at end. Stroud and Williams can still plug up the middle. At LB, we could try to slide Schobel back there and make him more effective coming off the edge. Posluszny and Mitchell could move inside, and we could focus on drafting another OLB. I think with just a draft pick here and a free agent signing there, we could seriously run an adequate 3-4. And Terrell Suggs has the franchise tag on him. He'd cost a fortune, but if he hits the market he'd instantly add a dimension to our D that we have not had in some time.

People seem to think the switch to a 3-4 would be easy and only take a year or two. I have to whole-heartedley disagree. I think that it would take years, which none of us have the patience for anymore. :wallbash:

While yes, I would agree the secondary is set, everything else is so far off. Stroud is the only DL that could play in a 3-4 and even then he might not be able to cut it. Schobel and Kelsay are far too small and light to be 3-4 DEs and are not two-point stance guys, negating their ability to play OLB. They would get eaten alive. Puz is the only LB who could play for sure. Mitchell would have to come inside. Therefore Buffalo would need two of those "tweener" OLB/DE hybrids which are very hard to come by. We simply could not make the switch in good time.

Besides, the D is actually quite good, the O just sucks so much that the D is always in bad spots and playing on short rest.

How in the world do you consider these horrible choices? Billick is a Super Bowl winning head coach and Nolan mightve sucked at being a HC, but how can you say you wouldn't want him as the DC? That's what vaulted him into the head coaching world in the first place.

Billick--the supposed offensive genius---was a disaster in baltimore offensively.Only the best D personnel ever assembled got him that first SB.His offenses were just horrific-as were his teams--esp as the years went on.

Nolan does suck as a head coach.His defenses were mediocre in san fran.He was i believe fortunate with some good personnel on D early on--plus he has the Nolan name.

Bad choices.

People seem to think the switch to a 3-4 would be easy and only take a year or two. I have to whole-heartedley disagree. I think that it would take years, which none of us have the patience for anymore. :wallbash:

While yes, I would agree the secondary is set, everything else is so far off. Stroud is the only DL that could play in a 3-4 and even then he might not be able to cut it. Schobel and Kelsay are far too small and light to be 3-4 DEs and are not two-point stance guys, negating their ability to play OLB. They would get eaten alive. Puz is the only LB who could play for sure. Mitchell would have to come inside. Therefore Buffalo would need two of those "tweener" OLB/DE hybrids which are very hard to come by. We simply could not make the switch in good time.

Besides, the D is actually quite good, the O just sucks so much that the D is always in bad spots and playing on short rest.

Actually "tweeners" are pretty plentiful in the draft. Lots of good college DE's are too small to hold up as every down pro ends. Many can really rush the QB but get swallowed up by NFL tackles and convert well to LB's in a 3-4. Lamar Woodley,Mike Vrabel,Willie McGinist and Tedy Bruschi are a few names that come to mind that sucsessfully made the switch to LB. Current Michigan DE Brandon Graham fits that same mold. The real challenge,IMO,is finding a NT. I have no idea if any DT presently on our roster could play NT in a 3-4.

Billick--the supposed offensive genius---was a disaster in baltimore offensively.Only the best D personnel ever assembled got him that first SB.His offenses were just horrific-as were his teams--esp as the years went on.

Nolan does suck as a head coach.His defenses were mediocre in san fran.He was i believe fortunate with some good personnel on D early on--plus he has the Nolan name.

Bad choices.

As someone who's lived in the Bay Area since 2003, I can say that the view here is that Nolan was indeed a disaster as a head coach and his defenses here, which he coordinated, were very mediocre. His success as Ravens DC has been attributed to the great talent he had in Baltimore. His predecessor Marvin Lewis and the man who succeeded him, Rex Ryan have both also had great success coordinating the Ravens defense. I'm far from convinced about this man's credentials. His press conferences and interviews were a bad joke. Dick Jauron isn't Mr. Charisma but at least he doesn't babble incoherently like Nolan.

Billick was a good head coach in a strong organization that has enjoyed great success even since he's left. Yes he didn't have good offenses ever but for a supposed offensive genius you'd think his offensive units would have been better than mediocre.

Not that we can be picky here but Billick and Nolan strike me as, besides not totally proven coaches, guys that really pander to the media and are constantly spinning things. I'm just not convinced by either of them. And I think there's more style than substance with these two.

Additionally, Billick is still being paid for the next two years after being fired by the Ravens, and Nolan has one more year left on his deal with the 49ers. I don't exactly know how all of that works out, but to me, logic says that the Bills could offer him a deal with low money for year's one and two (say one million per) and the Ravens would have to pick up the rest of the tab owed, and then the Bills could - in an effort to make it attractive - pay him four million a year for years three and four. That would only be a commitment of four years, $10 million for a top notch guy.

The Bills wouldn't pay anywhere near what either of these two would want as a salary. This is a team who's GM quit and they haven't replaced him to save money. They won't fire Jauron because they won't eat his contract like the 49ers or Ravens did.

Go ahead and dream about those two if you like. If I'm dreaming I'm dreaming BIG! I wanna see Jauron demoted to defensive coordinator so the bills can save from paying him off and then Hire Bill Cowher to be GM and head coach at whatever it takes to get him here. I already know who the smartest guy in the room was with he and Donahoe were drafting for the Steelers.Look at that Steeler Defense and tell me you wouldn't want the Bills to be that good.

The Bills could make that offer, but other teams (probably including teams with more attractive situations) will easily outbid them at that level. You do NOT get to consider what they are already getting paid when you make your offer, at least if you want a realistic chance at getting them.

I recall being on the losing end of 4 Superbowls running a 3/4 defense. No Thank You, I wish to take my chances with 4 down lineman....

The 3/4 defence was not the problem. The Pats seem to do pretty well with it, for example. Jeff Wright at noset ackle of the 3/4 was the problem. He was a small-fast, high energy type, and on the nose you need a big old horse. Fast helps, but you need a guy who will hold up against double teams, and Wright couldn't.

How many times did Billick bring the Ravens to the playoffs in the last 10 years? How many times have the Bills been there? Oh and didn't he win a Super Bowl with them too? (even with a subpar QB)

I like this combo. I've always liked Mike Nolan. I think he got the shaft in SF.

I recall being on the losing end of 4 Superbowls running a 3/4 defense. No Thank You, I wish to take my chances with 4 down lineman....

Yes, it is a proven fact that 3-4 teams do not win the Superbowl. I'm surprised that no one brought up this fact earlier in the thread.

Go ahead and dream about those two if you like. If I'm dreaming I'm dreaming BIG! I wanna see Jauron demoted to defensive coordinator so the bills can save from paying him off and then Hire Bill Cowher to be GM and head coach at whatever it takes to get him here. I already know who the smartest guy in the room was with he and Donahoe were drafting for the Steelers.Look at that Steeler Defense and tell me you wouldn't want the Bills to be that good.

Oh God no. I love Cowher, but demoting Jauron and making him the DC would be like mixing bloods and crips. Cowher's DCs run attacking, blitzing defenses. Jauron likes to sit back and give the offenses all day to eat them up.