Brian Billick and Mike Nolan

quote name='Tcali' date='Dec 19 2008, 01:00 AM' post='1260650']

horrible choices...please tell me you are kidding

:wallbash: [ Horrible coices- he won the superbowl with trend dilfer please. He know how to build a defense and has had a very succesful run with the ravens. Horrible WHAT are you smoking?

Additionally, Billick is still being paid for the next two years after being fired by the Ravens, and Nolan has one more year left on his deal with the 49ers. I don't exactly know how all of that works out, but to me, logic says that the Bills could offer him a deal with low money for year's one and two (say one million per) and the Ravens would have to pick up the rest of the tab owed

The Ravens/49ers are no longer obligated to pay Billick/Nolan if another team hires them

Also, with the 3-4 D... Imagine (and again, at this point, it's all we got) signing Suggs to play OLB and drafting a DE like Tyson Jackson out of LSU to play DE. He could be a stud on our defensive line for years - similiar to the way the Patriots have ridden Richard Seymour in their 3-4. Now I am getting excited...

siging Suggs? who owns this team?

ProFootballTalk ran a report today about Brian Billick and Mike Nolan shopping themselves as a head coach/defensive coordinator (respectively) combo.

I, for one, would love to bring them in here. I know that Billick can sometimes only be tolerated in doses, but at least he's passionate. He has won a Super Bowl. Heck, the only thing I think he failed at was truly finding a QB. As far as Nolan, he was a tremendous coordinator for the Ravens.

Additionally, Billick is still being paid for the next two years after being fired by the Ravens, and Nolan has one more year left on his deal with the 49ers. I don't exactly know how all of that works out, but to me, logic says that the Bills could offer him a deal with low money for year's one and two (say one million per) and the Ravens would have to pick up the rest of the tab owed, and then the Bills could - in an effort to make it attractive - pay him four million a year for years three and four. That would only be a committment of four years, $10 million for a top notch guy.

This has me excited again. Let's hope Christmas comes again after the season...

Once a new contract is signed, it makes the previous one void. They wouldn't have to pay him anything.

Oh God no. I love Cowher, but demoting Jauron and making him the DC would be like mixing bloods and crips. Cowher's DCs run attacking, blitzing defenses. Jauron likes to sit back and give the offenses all day to eat them up.

Both Cowher and Jauron were NFL defensive backs,both know the defensive side of the ball. I'd think that Cowher would boot the 'Tampa 2' and install a Dick LeBeau style of attacking D and make Jauron call it :rolleyes:

Absolutely not. You can not tell me these guys would do any worse than what we've had here for the last decade. He coached for the Ravens 9 seasons. That does not happen accidentally. He had a winning record five of those nine seasons. He was 8-8 once. His worst season was his last, when they went 5-11. That's one less win than we have in '08. I would like to know why you think they are "horrible" choices. I would rather bring in a retread like Billick than bring in another "hot" coordinator like Spagnuolo or McDaniel who we will ultimately ruin and fire in three seasons.

I don't think we'd be as far off as you think. We are set a CB, which is relatively important in a 3-4 (moreso than in our Cover 2). We could rotate guys like Kelsay, Denney, and Johnson at end. Stroud and Williams can still plug up the middle. At LB, we could try to slide Schobel back there and make him more effective coming off the edge. Posluszny and Mitchell could move inside, and we could focus on drafting another OLB. I think with just a draft pick here and a free agent signing there, we could seriously run an adequate 3-4. And Terrell Suggs has the franchise tag on him. He'd cost a fortune, but if he hits the market he'd instantly add a dimension to our D that we have not had in some time.

Yea I dont want to get my hopes up on Suggs or Billick and Nolan because we all know how Ralph is. But if we do get the coaches they would most likely want Suggs since he played for Billick

As far as the contracts go, I am pretty sure - borderline positive - that if they engage into a contract with a new team, the old team is only on the hook for whatever more they are due. For example, let's say Brian Billick was slated to earn $4 million in '09 and '10 from the Ravens, even though he was fired. If the Bills offer him a contract for $2 million in '09 and '10, the Ravens would then be responsible to pick up the other $2 he was supposed to make, so Billick is still making $4 million per year.

Also, if Jauron signed the extension, and we fire him, we will hopefully have some of his salary offset by whatever team signs him to be a DC or defensive backs coach.

As far as the contracts go, I am pretty sure - borderline positive - that if they engage into a contract with a new team, the old team is only on the hook for whatever more they are due. For example, let's say Brian Billick was slated to earn $4 million in '09 and '10 from the Ravens, even though he was fired. If the Bills offer him a contract for $2 million in '09 and '10, the Ravens would then be responsible to pick up the other $2 he was supposed to make, so Billick is still making $4 million per year.

Also, if Jauron signed the extension, and we fire him, we will hopefully have some of his salary offset by whatever team signs him to be a DC or defensive backs coach.

The Ravens were a complete disaster toward the end of billicks reign in Balti. Im sure the Bills want more of that. we are not going to come within the same universe of the defensive talent they had there when he was successful for a few seasons. Bad IDEA.

Wow, dream on.

Switching to a 3-4 would set this franchise back years. I prefer the 3-4 to the 4-3, but that's neither here nor there.

Kelsay and Kyle Williams would be out of place in a 3-4, they have long term deals, Wilson won't eat the money. Denney is out of a job, and Stroud is a backup NT in that situation. Johnson would probably be decent as a 3-4 end, but who knows how many snaps that guy can play. MAYBE Williams could cut it as a 3-4 end, but I doubt it. Schobel couldn't even make the transition to linebacker anymore, I don't think. Five years ago he probably could have, but he's getting up there in years and has injury issues.

The assets given up in the Stroud trade, drafting Ellis and McCargo so high...not a prayer it happens.

If they want to get a DC that will gradually make a shift to the 3-4, that would be cool by me...but the way these coaches are these days, they're in love with their system and tend to trust it over whatever players they have. Witness Gregg Williams and Gray playing that brutal 46 D in 2001, with no talent to speak of...and they got lit up.

In terms of personnel and money, it just can't happen right now. If they run a 3-4 defense next year with this current group of players, they'll give up 170 yards a game on the ground.

Maybe they should have traded for Rogers or Jenkins, not Stroud.