Since when do we have this "weak interior line"

ans4e64

Thread after thread I keep reading about how we have a bad interior line and need to draft a center in round 1. We were horrible with Fowler in there, and when half of them were injured, Preston and the bunch looked even worse. It was clear we needed an upgrade at center.

With Butler back and the line fully intact, we look great. Yes, even Preston. We are running the ball pretty much at will now, and I really don't see the need to use our 1st round pick on a center. Preston started off looking bad, but he's really been playing well lately, minus a few mistakes (snapping) which I think are from inexperience more than anything else. He's been getting better and better every week, and spent last Sunday dominating the starting DT for the AFC Pro Bowl team.

I would still like to draft a center, just after the 1st round. We really need other positions a lot more, and our o-line has been great since they've been healthy. Am I the only one that thinks Preston is going to be at least adequate? He's got the size we need in the middle and the push in the run game. The simple kinks will work themselves out more and more as he gains more reps.

If we go center, it should be after the 1st round. There is a very good crop this year (Unger, Caldwell, Mack and Luigis) and if need be, one of them will be there in the second round or later. IMO, the need to upgrade Preston should come after replacing Kelsay, Ellison and Royal.

I wouldn't say the line has looked great, but I do agree that will all the starters in it hasn't been too bad. I also agree that no center in round #1 if for no other reason, centers usually don't value a #1 pick. 2nd or 3rd round I'm fine with it, or wouldn't mind picking up a free agent center as would more likely be usable right away. I would keep Preston as a back up along with Chambers, that rookie, Bell is it, was supposed to look pretty good. Maybe pick up one other backup interior reserve, plus a center 2nd round or later (or FA) and I'm OK with that.

Thread after thread I keep reading about how we have a bad interior line and need to draft a center in round 1. We were horrible with Fowler in there, and when half of them were injured, Preston and the bunch looked even worse. It was clear we needed an upgrade at center.

With Butler back and the line fully intact, we look great. Yes, even Preston. We are running the ball pretty much at will now, and I really don't see the need to use our 1st round pick on a center. Preston started off looking bad, but he's really been playing well lately, minus a few mistakes (snapping) which I think are from inexperience more than anything else. He's been getting better and better every week, and spent last Sunday dominating the starting DT for the AFC Pro Bowl team.

I would still like to draft a center, just after the 1st round. We really need other positions a lot more, and our o-line has been great since they've been healthy. Am I the only one that thinks Preston is going to be at least adequate? He's got the size we need in the middle and the push in the run game. The simple kinks will work themselves out more and more as he gains more reps.

If we go center, it should be after the 1st round. There is a very good crop this year (Unger, Caldwell, Mack and Luigis) and if need be, one of them will be there in the second round or later. IMO, the need to upgrade Preston should come after replacing Kelsay, Ellison and Royal.

The OL looked good playing against a team they were motivated to play against. Lynch also gains a lot of yards on his own, and is elusive enough to get into the secondary when given a hole. He's taken it upon himself.

But let's not forget this team's leading rusher in the Miami Toronto game was... J.P. Losman. This OL has played poorly more often than not. Much of it is because neither guard has very good mobility. Peters is very good, and Walker hasn't been consistent.

Preston is not a starter, and Butler is someone they should look to replace. Lynch didn't run for more than 100 yards until the Cleveland game.

Luigs and Unger may be values in the second round, unless of course the front office finally gets one right in UFA. I doubt that though.

The OL looked good playing against a team they were motivated to play against. Lynch also gains a lot of yards on his own, and is elusive enough to get into the secondary when given a hole. He's taken it upon himself.

But let's not forget this team's leading rusher in the Miami Toronto game was... J.P. Losman. This OL has played poorly more often than not. Much of it is because neither guard has very good mobility. Peters is very good, and Walker hasn't been consistent.

Preston is not a starter, and Butler is someone they should look to replace. Lynch didn't run for more than 100 yards until the Cleveland game.

Luigs and Unger may be values in the second round, unless of course the front office finally gets one right in UFA. I doubt that though.

But is it more of a need for the 1st round than DE, OLB or TE? IMO, those are greater.

If we can get someone like Jason Brown in free agency and bring back Preston to back up C and both guard spots, we'll be much more flexible come draft time. Add a DE or LB and I'll feel very good going into the draft. Any more than that like a legit #2 WR and I'll feel great.

Everyone keeps saying that, but the only time the line has looked good is when Butler is playing. I wouldn't be too quick to replace him. I will say, while our pass blocking has been good, our run blocking is still not as good as you'd hope.

Everyone keeps saying that, but the only time the line has looked good is when Butler is playing. I wouldn't be too quick to replace him. I will say, while our pass blocking has been good, our run blocking is still not as good as you'd hope.

What he said.

Just because Preston isn't getting pushed into the QB's face doesn't mean he's good. The line needs a real Center and at least competition at the guard spot. Someone needs to motivate Dockery because he can't run block for sh--. Walker is fine. I can live with Butler. Peters is good for 3 screwups a game but is the most talented of 'em all.

Going into the off-season, the Bills need to look at any interior lineman who's available. I predict they will get a decent center and move Preston to one of the guard spots in place of Dockery or Butler--or let the 3 of them Darwin it out in training camp.

I wouldn't say the line has looked great, but I do agree that will all the starters in it hasn't been too bad. I also agree that no center in round #1 if for no other reason, centers usually don't value a #1 pick. 2nd or 3rd round I'm fine with it, or wouldn't mind picking up a free agent center as would more likely be usable right away. I would keep Preston as a back up along with Chambers, that rookie, Bell is it, was supposed to look pretty good. Maybe pick up one other backup interior reserve, plus a center 2nd round or later (or FA) and I'm OK with that.

Preston sucks

The Bills have no capable backups at OT on the team

they were damn lucky not to have a serious injury at one of the tackles

they should draft an OL in the top 4 rounds every year

Preston sucks

The Bills have no capable backups at OT on the team

they were damn lucky not to have a serious injury at one of the tackles

they should draft an OL in the top 4 rounds every year

Chambers looked like a great depth player when he stepped in at tackle this year. Did you not notice him? That's because he did his job.

Chambers looked like a great depth player when he stepped in at tackle this year. Did you not notice him? That's because he did his job.

Imo he looked a lot better at OT than OG. He is more the agile type than any kind of bruiser in terms of playing Guard, and from what I saw he got crushed when he was playing inside. I wish Dockery could move a little better. Butler? Still tough to tell but probably more to like than dislike.

In short, we are as thin as paper at OG, but great when compared to Center.

Jmo.

The Bills cannot wait longer then the second round to draft one of those talented centers this coming April, because I think you really are the only one who thinks Preston is at least adequate.