Allen Wilson - Peters not at fault on the Elam sack

dave mcbride

it wasn't Peters fault. Watch the replay, the blitz was straight up field outside of the tackle. A tackle shepherds rushes like that further down the field to protect a pocket. JP though was already about 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage after the play action fake, and then made things much worse by neither stepping foward or rolling to the right but up the field, instead he ran further backwards while rolling right and completely out of the protection any pocket may have offered. By the time he was hit he was about 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Exactly. On that play it was JP's responsibility to roll right and have the ball gone before Ellis got to him.

it wasn't Peters fault. Watch the replay, the blitz was straight up field outside of the tackle. A tackle shepherds rushes like that further down the field to protect a pocket. JP though was already about 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage after the play action fake, and then made things much worse by neither stepping foward or rolling to the right but up the field, instead he ran further backwards while rolling right and completely out of the protection any pocket may have offered. By the time he was hit he was about 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Its about time someone mentioned this. Peters had to make sure all on the inside were blocked because that could kill the play IMMEDIATELY. He then was able to make 2-3 lateral steps, covering ~5 yards and redirect the db 8 yards behind the line. All of this in ~1.5 seconds without having the knowledge that all of us armchair QBs (after watching the replay many times) have in knowing who was pass rushing and who was not! In reality, Peters made a solid play protecting the pocket on a RISKY PLAY CALL THAT BACKFIRED.

Try measuring out 5 yards and covering the ground that Peters did! I'm not sure any tackle could do much more than he did.

Now JP on the other hand had no excuse. That play is susceptible to backside pressure.....if the hot read is not open immediately, you tuck and run upfield (ideal given the clock) or throw it away (would have been poor clock management in this case). Looks like he was trying to make a play for his "highlight reel" ;)

Are you phucking kidding, or just blind?

Elam was past professional bowler PayMe Peters about a nano-second after the snap -

Watch again

If FatBoy holds that block for even a moment, instead of waving as Elam blows by the fat phuck, he doesn't chase Losman down totally unimpeded and strip the ball, and JP has time to execute the play. Christ, Fatso has about a 180# weight advantage - just fall down in front of the guy if you're too damned lazy to block or run.

Sorry - this one's all on Peters, the 'pro bowler'.

Elam was past professional bowler PayMe Peters about a nano-second after the snap -

Watch again

If FatBoy holds that block for even a moment, instead of waving as Elam blows by the fat phuck, he doesn't chase Losman down totally unimpeded and strip the ball, and JP has time to execute the play. Christ, Fatso has about a 180# weight advantage - just fall down in front of the guy if you're too damned lazy to block or run.

only way he could have blocked him as you wish he had is if he had guessed that the safety was blitzing and jumped to the left on the snap. when you have an outside blitz or even a DE that's a speed rusher, you make them keep running upfield past the QB - that's what Peters did. JP though was way too far back and running even further back.

Watch again

So this guy that weighs 180# more is supposed to stay with a db in a foot race. Plus you expect him to maintain a 10 yard pocket for the QB ;)

That's a good one. Oh, and while he is moving laterally and the db is not. Seriously?

-

Dave, i've linked you the video clip where everyone is getting blocked except Elam, and lo and behold, it was Peters who whiffed on the block. Who was Peters supposed to block then? Or is he just supposed to block no one, because "that's not his assignment."

Funny, i thought football was about making plays, not being concerned about what isn't your assignment.

Oh, except for when you bust on guys for "trying to do too much", and "freelancing".

Sometimes, the play design calls for unblocked defenders. Of course, those plays assume the QB knows what to do with the ball (i.e., get rid of it) when he feels the pressure. I'm pretty sure JP Losman fails on both of those counts.

The coach is to blame for putting his player in a position to fail. The player is also responsible for sucking when then pressure is on.

So this guy that weighs 180# more is supposed to stay with a db in a foot race. Plus you expect him to maintain a 10 yard pocket for the QB ;)

That's a good one. Oh, and while he is moving laterally and the db is not. Seriously?

-

Footrace? Come on. It wasn't a footrace. Peters whiffed. He either misread the blitz or missed the block. Either way he fugged up as bad as anyone on that play, JP, Jauron and Langston Walker included. Move on.

The coach is to blame for putting his player in a position to fail. The player is also responsible for sucking when then pressure is on.

Ultimately, Jauron is responsible for the abortion of a playcall. But, your second sentence applies to both losman and peters.

No, he's supposed to block him. That's what 'pro bowlers' who want to hold out, renegotiate annually, and be the highest paid OL on the team are supposed to do. Just get in his way for a second, instead of wave as he blows by.

Elam wasn't 'moving laterally' until he blew by Peters, which happened when FatBoy jumped out of his way instead of throwing a block...

Watch again

Watch again

I guess I'm blind, because I see one defensive player for peters, Dock and preston to block, then the ss overloads peters side. The olb comes to peters' inside shoulder and peters does not see the ss quickly enough to get a solid shot on him. That is a well defined blitz.

I really don't understand what is going on with the play side. We left the left outside linebacker unblocked and he ended up getting a shot in on the fb and disrupted the play. Butler blocks down and Walker blocks the end, making Walker the only blocker on that side. I guess the thought is the olb will attack Lynch and the play fake, but it would have been nice to let Walker at least get in front of him and have Butler help Walker. Maybe they were covering for Duke, I don't know. Looking at that play now, Fine should have been the target, the safety who I can't see was well off the line and there should have been enough space to get the ball in there.

11:14 [Comment From iggy]

Was it me or did Peters look like a turnstile on that ill fated play? I'm glad we waited on paying him. We could just show him a low-light film and say....hey....you're not that good!

11:15 Peters is an easy target, but that last play was not his fault. He wasn't assigned to block that blitzer.

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/billboard/

Sounds like Allen Wilson is either his agent or voted for him for Pro Bowl. Or maybe he is saying JP is not smart enough to change players to block on a blitz of JP?

Its about time someone mentioned this. Peters had to make sure all on the inside were blocked because that could kill the play IMMEDIATELY. He then was able to make 2-3 lateral steps, covering ~5 yards and redirect the db 8 yards behind the line. All of this in ~1.5 seconds without having the knowledge that all of us armchair QBs (after watching the replay many times) have in knowing who was pass rushing and who was not! In reality, Peters made a solid play protecting the pocket on a RISKY PLAY CALL THAT BACKFIRED.

Try measuring out 5 yards and covering the ground that Peters did! I'm not sure any tackle could do much more than he did.

Now JP on the other hand had no excuse. That play is susceptible to backside pressure.....if the hot read is not open immediately, you tuck and run upfield (ideal given the clock) or throw it away (would have been poor clock management in this case). Looks like he was trying to make a play for his "highlight reel" :bag:

Interesting, and quite possibly true ...

I'm not strictly blaming peters, because i hated the call the instant i saw the play fake. No reason not to run. Just turned into a comedy of errors. Horrendous play call. Peters whiffing on the block. Losman not securing the ball. The ball taking an incredible bounce right into Ellis' hands. 400 lb langston walker somehow lacking the ability to knock ellis OB. What a mess.

Dude someone has to do 68 seconds.