Looking back: Sherman v. Jauron

dave mcbride

Name me one QB who has a good game every game. Every third game for Eli Manning is bad. Edwards has more good games than bad games.

It's ironic that many thought the Bills offense would improve by being a year older, while adding nothing but James Hardy. It was foolish to think a rookie HC taking the same guys who played under Fairchild along with a 2nd year QB would be successful.

I need to see more from Edwards, but given the offenses he's been given, he's got time.

He played very well in the Chiefs game, and good enough in the Jets game. If Parrish doesn't fall down and the Bills are able to run the ball at all, they would have won that game.

Still not buying the "if Parrish hadn't fallen down he wouldn't have been picked" line. That was a bad throw into double coverage. Parrish slipping didn't help, but Trent has to make a better read there and not throw the ball into that area.

It's ironic that many thought the Bills offense would improve by being a year older, while adding nothing but James Hardy. It was foolish to think a rookie HC taking the same guys who played under Fairchild along with a 2nd year QB would be successful.

I need to see more from Edwards, but given the offenses he's been given, he's got time.

The offense has improved. Discounting last week where Losman threw up all over himself, they are averaging 321.8 yards and 23 points a game. This is 277.1 yards and up over last's year numbers of 277.1 yards and 15.8 points a game. That is a huge improvement.

It's all about the QB play. Jauron=Belicheck without Brady....very similar records as head coaches.

A great QB hides so many deficiencies on your team. If Trent played the whole season like the 1st 6 games and the KC game we would not even be having this conversation.

While this is true, I think the opposite is more important..... A great coach hides deficiencies on your team, and exploits weaknesses on the opponent.

Now maybe #5/7 missed almost all of the plays our genious staff devised to take advantage of teams weaknesses. I haven't seen too many. Seems more likely our staff just doesn't plan appropriately to take advantage of our matchups. Examples:

1. Pre-snap predictability (shotgun vs center snaps vs NE especially) Disgraceful coaching and directly lead to multiple losses in my opinion.

2. Minimal use of play action, roll-outs, misdirection plays. Except KC----we scored 47 offensive points! Every time we do this we seem to have a positive play. Jackson, Lynch, Parrish, Reed and Shouman/Fine thrive in this sort of play. Underutilized.....

3. Almost no shots to Hardy in the Red-Zone. Basically none except garbage time in NE for last 10 games. Both of his TD's were absolutely undefensible and should be there every time. Instead they throw fades to Evans, and tough over the middle throws to Parrish who is just not big enough to post up and protect/catch the ball.

4. Failure to adjust. Playing prevent D against Pennington/Farve/Cassell. Look for more of the same this weekend.... Ever notice that some games we apply alot of pressure (KC, Cleveland, SD and play well on O/D) and some we basically sit back and get carved up. Maybe the gameplan is to give up 8-10 minute drives and gradually fall more behind through the course of the game so we can in turn give up on our running game early and get sacks/picks/3 and outs on O.

5. Playcalling---empty backfield shotgun on 3rd and 1, 3 straight passes from own 10 yard line, 3:1 ratio of run to pass with backup QB in close games etc. There are MANY examples of this.

There have been bad throws, drops, fumbles etc. But not a significant amount more than other teams in my opinion.

If you had to choose which would have given us a better season a better coach or better QB? I'd go with a better coach who'd exploit our talent appropriately, not screw up our timeouts, and put our players in positions that compliment their skills, and it's not a hard decision.