WOULDNT IT BE WISE....

Major Mud

JP should leave the dysfunction and QB death pit that is Buffalo behind in a heartbeat. Not all NFL franchise are created equal and especially not when it comes to coaching up raw QBs for the NFL game. Buffalo is a bad fit for Losman professionally.

Losman has some natural ability, but quite frankly he has never gotten the proper coaching. I know a lot of people on this board are heavily invested in wanting him to fail completely (and chances are good that you'll be right fwiw), but his agent should try to find a place for JP to be successful. That place is not sticking him out in the middle of the action to keep flailing around cluelessly and trying to teach himself how to play QB in the NFL. JP needs excellent QB coaching first and foremost, and then maybe he'll be consistent enough to play. Without trying to correct his problems, he'll just assure that he'll continue to struggle.

Losman has shortcomings that I feel you just can not teach. He has no feel for the game, has no pocket presence, has no touch or accuracy on short to medium throws & is no better at reading defenses now then he was 5 yrs ago. I seriously doubt any gm is going to bring Losman in as a starter & then it becomes a question of would you rather have a known commodity like Losman, that will not come cheap due to the vet minimum requirements or would you rather take a flyer on a qb in the later rounds that you could sign cheap & might have some upside. I really think losman is going to have a tough time finding a job next year. It is just speculation on my part, but I really think the rest of the league thinks he is that bad.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JP reminds me of a poor man's Trent Dilfer. Dilfer always had raw talent and he was adequate enough on a ball-control, defense first team to win a Super Bowl. Dilfer was a college gunslinger project, went to an awful team in Tampa, and though fans said he was "dumb" was actually like a second coach as a backup. He was an average QB on the field, never really started on an offense with any weapons, and did not live up to his 1st round pick status. Because of the 1st round thing, he is called a bust and worthless by some, but the truth is he was just distinctly average.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DilfTr00.htm

Dilfer was not a project. He was drafted 6th overall. Stop comparing Losman to guys that were considered blue chip prospects. Losman was barely a 1st rounder, & even then alot of experts said that was too high(they were right).

Dude...Seriously?

I was as big a JP supporter as anyone once upon a time, but come on...JP is really a pretty brutal QB...There's just no getting around it...Maybe the Coaches screwed Him, maybe He was never going to amount to much...I have no idea...But He's not good...Raw talent does not mean squat when You basically suck, or in JP's case when Your a One Trick Pony (The Deep Ball...Of which He does not hit 100% on anyway...). But saying He has more talent than most of Our Starters on The O and D Lines is rediculous...JP does not have more talent than anyone...Period... :thumbsup:

JP is only going to be as good as the offense allows, meaning that until the OC removes his head from his backside and realizes he is starting a back up QB on a cold snowy day that is not conducive to throwing the ball all game. Also, the offense needs to run the ball with authority in order to win.The Jets stadium is as bad as Bills stadium as far as wind is concerned, that said JP might actually be more effective then Edwards or Hamden because he has a much stronger arm.

This Bills coaching staff is a QB killer whether it is Edwards or Losman, the OC thinks he has Drew Brees as his QB and tries to force the QB to win the game by passing 35+ times. Until Schonert wakes the <_< up and utilizes the teams best players in Lynch and Jackson by pounding the ball on the ground the bills won't be successful on offense.

JP is only going to be as good as the offense allows, meaning that until the OC removes his head from his backside and realizes he is starting a back up QB on a cold snowy day that is not conducive to throwing the ball all game. Also, the offense needs to run the ball with authority in order to win.The Jets stadium is as bad as Bills stadium as far as wind is concerned, that said JP might actually be more effective then Edwards or Hamden because he has a much stronger arm.

This Bills coaching staff is a QB killer whether it is Edwards or Losman, the OC thinks he has Drew Brees as his QB and tries to force the QB to win the game by passing 35+ times. Until Schonert wakes the <_< up and utilizes the teams best players in Lynch and Jackson by pounding the ball on the ground the bills won't be successful on offense.

It isn't Schonert's fault- nor was it Fairchild's, or Arians or Pendry or Hennig. The fact is we field the worst starting nine offensive/defensive linemen in the league. Offensive and defensive schemes do not appear coherent without a starting line

Start Gibran Hamden, I mean, J.P., is gone after this season anyway, we are not making the playoffs, and the "loss man " led offense has racked up a whopping 6 points in 2 weeks!....whoa!, So really what is there to lose other then seeing what you have in this kid.....if T.E. cant go again next week, i say give him more reps with the first team in practice. How many of you agree?

Yeah, I'm on board with that. Plus, the more JP plays, the more he hurts his chances of being picked up by anyone other than Detroit or Oakland.

I think the Bills management and coaching staff really need to see Hamdan under game conditions.

Losman has shortcomings that I feel you just can not teach. He has no feel for the game, has no pocket presence, has no touch or accuracy on short to medium throws & is no better at reading defenses now then he was 5 yrs ago. I seriously doubt any gm is going to bring Losman in as a starter & then it becomes a question of would you rather have a known commodity like Losman, that will not come cheap due to the vet minimum requirements or would you rather take a flyer on a qb in the later rounds that you could sign cheap & might have some upside. I really think losman is going to have a tough time finding a job next year. It is just speculation on my part, but I really think the rest of the league thinks he is that bad.

Betcha Al Davis thinks he's the next coming of Jim Plunkett and picks him up.

Just like Mularkey was a qb killer & just like Gilbride was a qb killer right? Mularkey is doing a hell of job with Ryan & Gillbride seems like he is doing alright with the Giants & Manning.

The bad coaching aside, this guy does not get it & he will never get it. Just listen to his interviews & you could tell this guy is not smart enough to be an NFL qb. Saying that JP is only as good as the offense is the dumbest statement I have seen on here in a long time. It is the coaches fault that Losman takes 10 seconds to make a decision where to go with the ball, it is their fault that he underthrows a simple fade route into the endzone or overthrows a wide open evans for a td by 20 fuggin yards, or instead of 3rd three hitting the wide open guy coming across the middle for 1st down throws one long to Parrish where it would have to take a perfect pass to ccomplete. Oh yeah he overthrew that one by 6 yrds too. This guy is one of the worst qbs I have ever seen.

Start Gibran Hamden, I mean, J.P., is gone after this season anyway, we are not making the playoffs, and the "loss man " led offense has racked up a whopping 6 points in 2 weeks!....whoa!, So really what is there to lose other then seeing what you have in this kid.....if T.E. cant go again next week, i say give him more reps with the first team in practice. How many of you agree?

As much as it sucks JP was declared the number 2 on this team. If Gibran should have been number 2 then the coaches should have made that decision and prepared him as such. Putting Gibran in now is admitting that you are willing to throw the game away. Besides, JP has earned the right to audition for his next gig. My guess is that he will crash and burn - again - but let other teams see him for what he is - an athletically gifted guy that can't play QB in the NFL.

Just like Mularkey was a qb killer & just like Gilbride was a qb killer right? Mularkey is doing a hell of job with Ryan & Gillbride seems like he is doing alright with the Giants & Manning.

The bad coaching aside, this guy does not get it & he will never get it. Just listen to his interviews & you could tell this guy is not smart enough to be an NFL qb. Saying that JP is only as good as the offense is the dumbest statement I have seen on here in a long time. It is the coaches fault that Losman takes 10 seconds to make a decision where to go with the ball, it is their fault that he underthrows a simple fade route into the endzone or overthrows a wide open evans for a td by 20 fuggin yards, or instead of 3rd three hitting the wide open guy coming across the middle for 1st down throws one long to Parrish where it would have to take a perfect pass to ccomplete. Oh yeah he overthrew that one by 6 yrds too. This guy is one of the worst qbs I have ever seen.

I have said before disagree with me all you want but sometimes the QB is only as good as the players around him. How many dropped balls do these receivers have? I cant tell you how many time s i have seen both Edward and JP throw it in the numbers and the reciever of the ball just couldnt catch it. We also forget about all the great plays Edawards and JP and lynch have made just to have it erased by a dumb penalty this happens more than not.

Atalnta and The ginats have a pretty good supporting cast and Just as i once said with BIG BEN throw him on another team in the NFL out of the drafte and he looks like a first round bust becuase PITT had the best supporting cast a rookie could ask for. Outside of that WHO IS THE EXPERINECED QB that our giving the QBS on our teams thier pointers???? I will tell You a CAREER THIRD STRING QB COACH Im sorry I just dont see it as a good teacher the best lessons are learned on the field the problem is US FANS and how quickly we want to pull the trigger on a QB get another one in their before the learn the ups and downs of the game. To go into the KELLY era he had a lot of bad games to go with alot of good games but he had one of th ebest supporting cast a QB could ask to have. <_<

As much as it sucks JP was declared the number 2 on this team. If Gibran should have been number 2 then the coaches should have made that decision and prepared him as such.

Those very same coaches who kept Greer on the bench? Next to Scott? Next to Preston (I know, but he's better than Fowler)? Next to Schouman? Next to Fine? Next to Jackson?

Are those the coaches you are talking about?

What My FULL statement said was,

JP is only going to be as good as the offense allows, meaning that until the OC removes his head from his backside and realizes he is starting a back up QB on a cold snowy day that is not conducive to throwing the ball all game.

First of all you cannot equate this current team and coaches to past teams and coaches and how or why they failed. the complete teams are different ,players and coaches.

Second, Kevin Gilbride is doing a fantastic job in calling NY Giants offensive plays be cause he has the best offensive line and best power running game in the NFL ATM and has had since he has gotten there. Don't forget that the Giants were a playoff contender with Tiki Barber when Eli Manning arrived and have had a dominate running attack since Coughlin got there.

Mike Mularky was with the Dolphins last year,wha happened? This year he has Michael Turner and a head coach who wants to build a team with a power running game,just like Tom Coughlin, HUGE difference between last year and this year for Mularky. Lets not forget how we were all laughing at his play calling during some of those Dolphins games last year!!!

Lastly, If the Bills were to establish a power running game like the NY Giants / Atlanta Falcons have it would take immense pressure from the QB and allow him to make plays.

I think you and Turk Schonert both fail to realize that forcing a BACKUP QB to try and win games with little or no run support is almost impossible.

Just as i once said with BIG BEN throw him on another team in the NFL out of the drafte and he looks like a first round bust becuase PITT had the best supporting cast a rookie could ask for.

If somehow Big Ben had fallen to us in the draft I have no doubts whatsoever that the Bills owuld have found a way to screw him up.

Those very same coaches who kept Greer on the bench? Next to Scott? Next to Preston (I know, but he's better than Fowler)? Next to Schouman? Next to Fine? Next to Jackson?

Are those the coaches you are talking about?

Similar to your comment about Jackson - don't forget Dick's apparently neverending love affair with the "A-Train". :wallbash:

JP should leave the dysfunction and QB death pit that is Buffalo behind in a heartbeat. Not all NFL franchise are created equal and especially not when it comes to coaching up raw QBs for the NFL game. Buffalo is a bad fit for Losman professionally.

Losman has some natural ability, but quite frankly he has never gotten the proper coaching. I know a lot of people on this board are heavily invested in wanting him to fail completely (and chances are good that you'll be right fwiw), but his agent should try to find a place for JP to be successful. That place is not sticking him out in the middle of the action to keep flailing around cluelessly and trying to teach himself how to play QB in the NFL. JP needs excellent QB coaching first and foremost, and then maybe he'll be consistent enough to play. Without trying to correct his problems, he'll just assure that he'll continue to struggle.

The last four starting QBs Mike Mularkey worked with Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, JP Losman, and Matt Ryan. Maddox was comeback player of the year, Stewart finished 3rd in the MVP voting, and Ryan is gonna be the Rookie of the year. Tom Clements looks pretty good right now with Aaron Rodgers. Two different coaching staffs didn't want Losman. Every QB that goes in for him plays better and leads the team to better reasons. Stop with the excuses. He sucks on his own merit.

I remember there was a shirt I saw when I was a kid at Wrigley Field. It was teh top 10 things you heard around the ballpark. One was Shawon Dunston (former SS) needs just another year to develop. He had all the tools but never became anything but an average to below average shortstop.

Play Hamden to at least see if he could be worth a roster spot next year. Plus it would help Losman so he doesn't kill what little value (if any) he has in hte league.

The last four starting QBs Mike Mularkey worked with Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, JP Losman, and Matt Ryan. Maddox was comeback player of the year, Stewart finished 3rd in the MVP voting, and Ryan is gonna be the Rookie of the year. Tom Clements looks pretty good right now with Aaron Rodgers. Two different coaching staffs didn't want Losman. Every QB that goes in for him plays better and leads the team to better reasons. Stop with the excuses. He sucks on his own merit.

How did Stewart do when Jauron was his coach? Comparing Losman to Ryan coming out of college begs the question, do you know squat about football?

My posts weren't excuses. Pull your head out and stop trying to pretend any post that says anything that isn't oozing negativity about Losman is "excuses" and "defending Losman". My post was decidedly neutral and in response to posts that thought Losman could land a starting job someplace. Losman showed in Toronto that he's still not ready to be a starter, and he still needs a lot of work to get there, assuming he ever does, which I believe is pretty unlikely. I don't see him as anybody's first choice as a starter, even in a league with plenty of awful QBs. The only thing you should find unnerving about that is that it admits the slim possibility that JP might become an adequate QB someday (see Tommy Maddox) which would show those most strident about his complete worthlessness, that he'll definitely be out of the NFL next year, were wrong.

maybe the bills should go to Wildcat offense with Fred Jackson running the show.....run it like 80 percent of the time...see what happens. It couldn't be any worse than what we've already seen from JP

Let's face it, JP hasn't been any worse than Trent. Which is to say, not very good.

But it looks like the Bills DO know what they have with Hamdan. A #3 who they do not want to see at #2.

The fact that two QBs with different styles have the same problem in this offense - an inability to score even though things look good in the middle of the field - might very well show that a lot of the problem lies with the system, the play-calling, the other variables.

The same shortcomings are showing up in Trent now. And you're wrong on short and medium throws, as the stats show. He does just fine on them, though as was said above, many on these boards have a lot invested in seeing Losman fail. The whole "reading defenses" thing seems to be completely created by fans. Look back and you will see no comments of the type from any Bills source. It gets repeated often by the haters and finally people are beginning to treat it as a fact, though there is no objective evidence and nobody has said it who has any knowledge of the Bills game plans in individual games.

JP isn't without faults, his worst being a tendency to hold onto the ball for too long. But again, we're starting to see that from Trent too. Why? The situation in Buffalo seems to produce that result, for whatever reason. No receivers open and not enough points scored early in games producing the tendency for desperation might be two of the reasons, with bad coaching being another.

Was Mularkey our QB coach? I can't quite remember that.

Gilbride wasn't even on the team at the same time as JP. Don't you think that might hurt your argument just slightest little bit?

It's obvious that you have an intense and unreasonable hatred of JP. But it would help your arguments if you tried to use elementary logic to support the bile-flecked diatribes.

Gilbride? He throws some bad passes, which you wildly exaggerate? You know, I could have sworn I saw some bad passes in every game this weekend, so I guess JP must play for at least 16 teams. He didn't have a good game, particularly in the red zone where the whole Bills team has shown an utter inability to score, but it's hard to blame that on JP when it happens whether he's in or out.

The other thing to remember is that with very few exceptions, QBs need a lot of time to become good, time which JP (and Trent) has not had. We all rightly think that trent is still a young QB who needs a lot more experience before we can expect too much from him. Well, he now has played 2/3rds of the amount of games that JP has. JP is still inexperienced. Eli had played about twice the amount of games that JP has before the light came on.

Neither JP nor Trent is a finished product.

Let's face it, JP hasn't been any worse than Trent. Which is to say, not very good.

But it looks like the Bills DO know what they have with Hamdan. A #3 who they do not want to see at #2.

The fact that two QBs with different styles have the same problem in this offense - an inability to score even though things look good in the middle of the field - might very well show that a lot of the problem lies with the system, the play-calling, the other variables.

Thst'd just flat out wrong. I'm sorry but it pisses me off when people make up stuff. In comparing Losman's 2006 seasons and Edward's 2008 season, TE outperforms Losman in just about every major QB statistic (rating, yards per game, completion %, less turnovers/game). Additionally, the team averages almost 50 yards/game and almost 10 and almsot a touchdown point' game. Don't jsut make up stuff.

And TE is in his 2nd year while Losman was in his 3rd. There is a lot more upside in Edwards at this point than Losman.

Was Mularkey our QB coach? I can't quite remember that.

Gilbride wasn't even on the team at the same time as JP. Don't you think that might hurt your argument just slightest little bit?

It's obvious that you have an intense and unreasonable hatred of JP. But it would help your arguments if you tried to use elementary logic to support the bile-flecked diatribes.

Gilbride? He throws some bad passes, which you wildly exaggerate? You know, I could have sworn I saw some bad passes in every game this weekend, so I guess JP must play for at least 16 teams. He didn't have a good game, particularly in the red zone where the whole Bills team has shown an utter inability to score, but it's hard to blame that on JP when it happens whether he's in or out.

And can we stop this. I was the biggest Losman fan on this board. Unfortunately despite 5 really good games, he pretty much sucked in every start. Most everyone here wanted him to succeed. But he sucks on his own merit. He's had coaches that do well with every other QB except him.

Serious, the fact that peopel still dfend JP after having about 90% of his starts suggesting he is a terrible Qb boggles my mind. It's like you catch your girl banging 11 different guys, yet you keep taking her back. It's insnaity.