Aaron Schobel to go on IR?

Mularkey

According to what I just heard on WGR550, Schobel may be put on IR. Does anyone know what is going on here? Guys recover from broken bones quicker than this guy comes back from a "foot" injury. I looked on the bills website to get the injury report but it just says foot. That is all it has said since week 5 I believe. Where is the toughness and why couldn't the coaching staff figure out this guy wasn't coming back for the year and put him on IR and fill a roster spot while they still had a shot at the playoffs? <_<

According to what I just heard on WGR550, Schobel may be put on IR. Does anyone know what is going on here? Guys recover from broken bones quicker than this guy comes back from a "foot" injury. I looked on the bills website to get the injury report but it just says foot. That is all it has said since week 5 I believe. Where is the toughness and why couldn't the coaching staff figure out this guy wasn't coming back for the year and put him on IR and fill a roster spot while they still had a shot at the playoffs? <_<

What difference does it make at this point? Schobel is on the downside of his career and the Bills are done for this year. Let him go find the fountain of youth and maybe figure out a way to recapture his play of years past.

Maybe you should read some newspaper articles. The BN today, for example, specifically says that the problem is with ligaments in his foot. These are very problematic injuries, that can take a long time to heal, but one never knows, which is why they tried to stay optimistic as long as they can. Shane Conlan had similar problems (during the sainted Rusty Jones era, I hasten to add...)

Maybe you should read some newspaper articles. The BN today, for example, specifically says that the problem is with ligaments in his foot. These are very problematic injuries, that can take a long time to heal, but one never knows, which is why they tried to stay optimistic as long as they can. Shane Conlan had similar problems (during the sainted Rusty Jones era, I hasten to add...)

Right. I think earlier on they said it was the ligament that held the big toe in place that wasn't healing. That's a pretty big problem from what I can gather. Especially when it comes to trying to guess when it will heal. I've got no problems with them not putting Aaron on IR because if he was able to come back, and if we had made the playoffs (as it looked like we could have when he was injured), he might have had a shot at playing. Now, it makes no difference so they might as well IR him and pick up a waiver for camp.

Dick Jauron has brought this team to new lows for 3 years now.

From the fire that they play with all the way to their physical and mental toughness he has made pussys out of all of them.

Bobby April for head coach.

What difference does it make at this point? Schobel is on the downside of his career and the Bills are done for this year. Let him go find the fountain of youth and maybe figure out a way to recapture his play of years past.

I agree with the bolded part as do most Bills fan and anyone with a brain.

Sadly the front office must not think so though, he has what 5 years left or something now at an astronomical salary?

I'm beginning to really question whether or not Levy was an effective GM.

Right. I think earlier on they said it was the ligament that held the big toe in place that wasn't healing. That's a pretty big problem from what I can gather. Especially when it comes to trying to guess when it will heal. I've got no problems with them not putting Aaron on IR because if he was able to come back, and if we had made the playoffs (as it looked like we could have when he was injured), he might have had a shot at playing. Now, it makes no difference so they might as well IR him and pick up a waiver for camp.

When the Sgt Hulka of the foot fails to heal, your doomed....

Man, I wish I had a job like Schobel's. Play in 5 games and get 1 sack, plus get paid $7 million a year.

My concern is that management will probably fail to address the DE position and use the excuse that Schobel was hurt, which is the reason for our lack of a pass rush. Managment's claim coming into the season was that bringing in Stroud would demand other teams to double-team him and free up our DE's, well that didn't happen either.

Trade Schobel & get something for him, cut Kelsay or Denney and get 2 new DE's (either draft or FA). (And for the brain-dead idiots that like to toss out "Why would you cut guys loose first", I'll put it so you can read it easily - "the Bills should get new DE's before cutting loose Schobel, Kelsay or Denney")

Schobel has had the same amount of production off the field then on it.......Honestly, even with him on the field the pass rush would still be lacking. He just another thorn in the side for DE's.....overrate in my book. I can name several DE's that are much better players then him.

Schobel has had the same amount of production off the field then on it.......Honestly, even with him on the field the pass rush would still be lacking. He just another thorn in the side for DE's.....overrate in my book. I can name several DE's that are much better players then him.

I agree. I get sick of hearing how great Schoebel & the rest of our DE's are great at stuffing the run. Our DE's can barely get a whiff of the QB, which in return is letting QB's like Warner, Pennington & Favre carve our defense up. If Brady was healthy this year, the Pats would still be blowing us out by scoring 30+ points a game.

Ill defend schobel. He racks up tackles and gets to plays quickly. He stays free and for his size and quickness is remarkably good at not giving up ground against the run. I think he has improved tremendously against the run since two years ago. He attempted to play without having the ability to flexion his foot upward and the results were just as good as his backup. Schobel never bites on fakes or finds himself out of position. He is one of the smartest players on the team.

When healthy, I think Schobel is one of our best players. The sugestions that we cut him and our other DEs is obviously bourne out of frustration, not reason.

As for IR, I think the risk of aggrevating his injury is not worth the possible payoff in the last few games. Unless he's going full speed now, I'd put him on IR.

Even in the criticism of Schobel, I have not heard anyone claim he's not our best pass rusher. Sure, he's not Bruce Smitth, but it would be folly to cut or risk injury to your best pass rusher who's under contract.